Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #661
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

When Mahtaliel woke from her dreaming the sun was already risen and streaming through her window. Stretching, she rose, feeling more cheerful than she had in days. The rest had been good, sleep wasn't necessary for her, but it certainly helped.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 01-02-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #662
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Rian was just starting to show Sapthân a page in the book. “Moon letters!” he thought, wondering what secrets were written there, unseen to the eye save on certain moonlit nights. What great lore could be hidden in the pages of this book? He must see more of this elf woman.

He judged by the position of the sun that it must be nearly 8 o’clock in the morning. There was really no need to hurry as long as he went to the library sometime after 9:30. Then he would need to show the hated Professor Galadannun around that venerated edifice. He did not look forward to the meeting. He considered his enemy both supercilious and arrogant, and possibly dangerous.

“This book bears great study,” he thought, “but I doubt that she would ever loan it to me.” Perhaps she might drop by his room at the palace and show him the book sometime, and he could analyze it in detail. “No, no,” he thought. “She is obviously a lady of high quality and it would not do at all for her to visit me unchaperoned. I will suggest that I visit her home sometime.”

“What a priceless book, Rian,” he flattered. “How much the world lost when these great elven cities, such as Gondolin, Nargothrond and Menegrond and the others fell!” he said sympathetically. “How we today could learn so much from them!” He smiled a sad, wistful smile, and hoped it would not be lost upon her.

The lady was just opening another place in the book when a shadow fell across the pages. Sapthân looked up to see Professor Galadannun bearing down on them.

Before Sapthan could have time to react, the head librarian had snatched the book out of Rian’s hands. “I believe that students are NOT allowed to take books out of the library without MY permission!”

Sapthân was on his feet in an instant, his dark gray eyes flashing warnings. His hand darted out and in his haste, he grabbed the frayed corner of the book, clenching it in his fingers. “Sir, this book does not belong to the library!” he exclaimed. “It is the lady’s property and I would advise you to return it before you make a total fool of yourself!”

“Barbaric Easterlings!” he thought. “They have no manners, no tact! My ancestors should have put them in their place hundreds of years ago! Another one of our failings!”
Old 12-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #663
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Nazgul Travelers from the East

Early morning, Tuesday
Visiting Professors' Apartments
Tharbad University

Somewhere far away in a remote section of Tharbad, a rooster heralded the dawn. In the visiting professors’ apartments, Maethor lay on his bed, propped up on pillows against the headboard, one long leg crossing over the other. He tipped the wine bottle up and took a healthy drink, and then put the bottle back on the table beside his bed. He sensed the presence of mortal blood and heard the sound of someone hammering on his door. He recognized the scent and was surprised.

“Ulfang!” he thought. “What is he doing here a fortnight early?”

“Come in,” he said. “The door is not locked.”

A short swarthy man, his left cheek marred by a gruesome scar that began at the corner of his left eye and curled to the side of his mouth, bowed deeply. “My lord,” he said almost in homage, “your humble servant is overjoyed to give you the information that the journey went well and speedily. There were no problems crossing the River. We forded far upstream and all ventured across in great health. Our time was outstanding after that, and we hastened towards Tharbad. There were only mild, trivial injuries to the horses, and they are all in fine flesh. Your warriors and your women should be on the outskirts of Tharbad by nightfall.”

Rolling over on his side, Maethor sat on the edge of the bed. “You have done well, Captain Ulfang. You have always been a steadfast leader.”

“My lord is too kind,” the man smiled and touched his right hand to his heart.

“You will find wine and goblets in the dark cabinet against the wall yonder. Fetch yourself a drink and be seated.”

He waited until the travel-weary man was settled. “How fare the Ladies Nossenis and Tatyana?”

“They bore the journey well, my lord, and are eager to see you.

“No doubt,” Udu replied and smiled, “but I will not be keeping Nossenis long. I plan to present her as a servant to a professor here as part of a bargain. She can speak common, while Tatyana cannot.”

“Yes, my lord, and if I may humbly say so, you much prefer the fair young Tatyana.”

“You know the Lady Nossenis well,” he chuckled. “I consider it far kinder to do this than have her sewn up in a sack and drowned in the River Gwathlo.”

“My lord has always been most fair and equitable,” Ulfang agreed. “What, my lord, should we do if the lady protests?”

“She will not,” he said. “Long ago she learned the consequences of disobedience. She will go quietly. I am also dispatching Ecco as servant to Professor Galadannun, who lives at the library. Take them both tonight as soon as it is expedient. He should be expecting them.”

“Yes, my lord.”

Indeed Ulfang had been one of Maethor’s best warriors in the East. The man was extremely loyal and dedicated, and had taken an oath unto death to protect Maethor, his family, and all his possessions.

“Captain, I have just lately purchased a house. You probably did not notice it when you rode in. It is the triangular shaped house on the corner, fronting Rath Galen with the rear door towards Menetar. You cannot mistake it. It is the house beside the livery stable. Here are the keys,” Maethor said, taking two from the ring at his belt as Ulfang walked over to him. “Stable the horses in the livery stable and pay their board with this.” He reached into a pouch at his belt and pulled out a number of coppers and handed them to the warrior.

“Yes, my lord.”

“Clean the whole top floor as much as you can tonight. My bedchambers are in the largest room on the second floor. There is a connecting door to a room beside. Install the Lady Tatyana there after the room has been prepared. Late tonight, midnight or beyond, if all is in readiness, I shall spend the night there. Send a messenger to report to me of your progress.”

“Very good, my lord,” he said.

“It is good to see you again after so many months.” Maethor looked up at the man, clenching the Easterling’s arm in a warrior’s handshake.

“Your servant’s heart rejoices in gladness to see you, my lord,” the man smiled down to him.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 12-18-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #664
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

. . .

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-19-2005 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #665
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Lil & Viv in Vivvie's Boudoir

Lilly's early morning vivacity and excitement was enough to raise the dead.

Viniglaen swung her legs out of the covers, and she padded over to her boudoir table and thoughtfully picked up her hairbrush. Perhaps stimulating her scalp with a vigorous brushing would help her think realistically, and snap her out of her incessant musing upon Raendil.

"Well? Come on, Vivvie; what do you say?" persisted Lilaenwen.

"You are my dear, crazy, beloved big sister, Lilly, you know that," Viv finally said, "but can I just think about it for a minute?"

"A minute? Fine, one minute. Anyway, what's there to think about?" Lil got up from the corner of the bed, and went over to Viv, taking the brush out of her hands. She put her hands on Viv's shoulders and turned her to face her, searching her eyes for a moment.

Viv continued to stall. "I just have to think - "

"You fell in love with that mortal!" Lil said suddenly, "THAT'S what I see in your eyes!" She began to laugh a little, a dangerously mischievous and very amused laugh. "I don't believe it; our Vivvie has fallen in love!"

"No I haven't, no I'm not, and anyway, what would you know about it," replied a very flustered Viv. Wresting herself from her sister's grip, she went to her wardrobe closet and began searching in earnest for a morning outfit to wear. After a minute of this, Viv emerged from the clothes, and looked at Lil.

"When I see Ray again, which hopefully will be in a couple of hours, I shall try to get some intel on the current conjugal status of the young King. Are you satisfied now?"

Of course Lil was satisfied! She hadn't thought it would be so easy for Vivvie, what with the young wraith's new infection of love for the Kingsman Ray. However, Lil also knew that once Viv agreed to do a thing, whatever it was, the thing got done. Viv always kept her word.

"Of course I'm satisfied, " cried the delighted Lil, clapping her hands in devilish glee, and beaming ear to ear, completely missing the careful omission on Viv's part of any promise of intel on Ray's best friend Marty. That was one line Viv knew in her dark yet solid heart she did not want to cross, not yet at least and not just for Lilly's sexual whims. But upon the poor, unfortunate King, open season had definitely been declared.

"Good." Viv held up two riding outfits. "Which one should I go with this morning, the crimson or the ultramarine blue?"

"The blue, darling; it looks far better with your eyes and besides, I'm thinking of wearing red today. Can't have us both in crimson!"

"Oh, no, that would be fashion suicide," said Viv sarcastically, but Lil was already halfway out the door, and far too happy to pick up on Vivvie's grumpy little edge.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-22-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #666
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

University, Engineering building, before 7 AM on Tuesday.

The Chancellor sat in his office in the empty Engineering building deep in thought. It was yet early for the students to arrive for their 8 o’clock lesson. The Morgul Lord had no sleep that night, but that bothered him not at all. Much worse was that dream…

It took more than an hour to coax the full story out of Aiwendis, when she came sobbing, undressed and invisible to his rooms in the middle of the night. He had been wrathful to see the Quiet Eight in such a state, because of some silly dream. But his reprimand made her cry all the more, and still she was not able to tell a coherent story.

Then, mellowed, he poured her some wine and allowed her to sit on his lap. After more tears and two full bottles of Nurn, Aiwendis was finally able to show him the scene mentally. Most people’s dreams were hazy by nature, persons and places vague, but Gordie was a talented witch, used to drawing mental pictures and manipulating them. Her dreams were colourful and detailed; all the objects in her room visible in the background.

The Morgul lord didn’t like Aiwendis’s dream one bit. It was a true dream and had the stink of prophecy about it.

He saw again the great winged helm of Isildur that had once been cloven in two by his sword. Gordis couldn’t have remembered it in such detail, as at Orodruin she was standing in the second line, and Isildur came at her later, his head unprotected. But in the dream the helm was whole again and undamaged, all the tiny details exactly as the Morgul Lord remembered them.

But the worse about the dream was the light. Aiwendis was too emotional to notice it, but the figure of the King stood outlined by a strong light coming from behind. He was facing the bed and the window, and the blinding, unnatural light was coming from the direction of the door – from the West.

The Morgul Lord clenched his fists, cursing the meddling Powers. But he would not cower before the accursed Valar. He was not going to change his plans, even if Gordis the Eight were in danger. The die was cast and the prize was enormous: Ash Nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul...

The Morgul Lord sighed and went to the window. There were some pressing matters to attend to. Sapthân’s tale showed him that his minions had been far from circumspect. He had already decided what to do with Lilly. But Udukhatûrz should be warned. It was no good if he became a topic of talk in Tharbad. Even worse, if in the gossip he was associated with the wanton Lilly. Lilly would be no good with her reputation in tatters.

Reaching out with his senses, the Captain sent a Call to Udu, ordering him to come immediately.

Last edited by Gordis : 12-18-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #667
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

University, Visiting Professors’ Apartments, 7 AM on Tuesday

Maethor smiled in satisfaction as he bade Ulfang good speed in his journey back to the caravan. Even though he had dispatched Ecco, a strong and brave warrior, to Khamul, Maethor would still retain five others in his service. He thought of the irony that he was ridding himself of an unwanted wife upon his rival.

Maethor was congratulating himself upon how well things were going when his senses tensed. “I am being summoned,” he thought, and felt uneasy.

Leaving his apartments, he walked to the Engineering Building. A helpful servant took him to the Chancellor’s office. Turning from the window, the Chancellor greeted him in thought speech as the Seventh walked through the door.

“Your Excellency, is something amiss? Do you have need of me?” Udu was puzzled as to the reason why he was being called.

“Certain rumors have come to my hearing that are somewhat disturbing,” the Morgul Lord said, surveying Udu as he studied his reactions.

“Here it comes now,” Udu thought with an increasing feeling of alarm.

“Rumors, my lord?”

“Do not feign incredulity, Seven. I think you know that of which I speak. Do you need a reminder?”

“No, my lord, that is not necessary,” Udu replied. “I think I know of what you speak, but I can explain everyt-”

His sentence was cut off by a dismissive gesture of the Dark Captain’s hand. “The spectacle yesterday afternoon has not gone unnoticed by some of the citizens of Tharbad. Your conduct in the jeweler’s shop could possibly be explained as being innocuous, though rash. The situation, however, in the Singing Swan Inn cannot be explained away so easily.”

Rebuked, Udu bowed his head, but the Captain was not finished.

“Though it is untrue, some citizens could very easily connect your name with that of the Lady Lilaenwen and think the two of you lovers. That will not be tolerated! Do not jeopardize her reputation in such a manner again!”

Udu thought to himself and realized his mistake the moment he thought it. “What reputation?” The Morgul Lord was far more powerful than he and quickly read his thoughts.

“Your remarks are not appreciated, Seven,” he said coldly. “You are warned. Keep away from Lilaenwen, or prepare to face the consequences.”

“That would be my preference anyway. I have no desire ever to see her again. I will keep to my house and my own, and my responsibilities here until you should have need of me,” Udu replied in thought speech, even more angry with Lilaenwen than he had been to begin with.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 12-19-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 AM   #668
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Tuesday, about 9:30 a.m.
Tharbad University, near the library

R*an sat paralyzed with shock and indignation for a second, then leaped to her feet in an absolute fury. A man such as Professor Galadannun touching anything of hers was totally unbearable. And in such an insolent, rude manner! All shyness lost, she strode towards the two men (for Galadannun had been standing a little behind Sapthân when he had reached out and taken the book) torn between anger at her foe and anxiety for her book.

She never even looked at Sapthân or said a word of thanks to him for his efforts on her behalf; all she could see and think about was Galadannun defiling her book and insulting her by his arrogant behavior. "How DARE you take my book out of my hands like that! Give it to me, now!" she hissed angrily, her hazel eyes snapping sparks. She pointed her finger straight at her enemy and spat out, "And never, EVER treat me like that again!" Although Galadannun was much taller and stronger than she was, that didn't matter one bit to her. She didn't care what happened. She just wanted him dead, and if her brother had been there, she wouldn't have stopped what he would have done.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 01-01-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:15 AM   #669
Rían

Tuesday,
a long day's ride from Tharbad

Tyaron sat with his legs crossed, the dagger he had been given lying on his upturned hands. Then slowly, reluctantly, he let the long-repressed memories come flooding back. And with the memories came what Tyaron had always dreaded and avoided, and fought so hard to keep under control for so long - the tears, and the passion. The Fifth Battle was known as the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, and even after all the ages, the Elvish memories of the survivors, so much more powerful and present than the memories of the Followers, were potent enough to add yet more tears to those already wept and beyond count, if those memories were allowed to escape from the dark places where they were kept hidden away.

But now, Tyaron desired death, and for the first time he actually sought the memories, and the feelings that they awoke in him.

His face, as he bent over the dagger, was grey and drawn, and the look of a hurting child who is bewildered by his pain was in his eyes, for he did not understand why his plea had been denied. For last night, he had implored the Valar to take his life, and their answer had been to return no answer.

Tradition says that if a man among the Eldar were actually to commit the great evil of forcing himself on another man's wife, which goes against the natural desires and even the very nature of the elves, that the woman so wronged would be able to flee her sorrow by leaving this world, if she so chose. "Oh Manwë the just, if this is indeed so - that a woman who has been damaged beyond recovery by a man's uncontrolled passion is able to depart to the halls of Mandos for healing, why may not I choose this: I who have been damaged beyond healing by my own uncontrolled passion, against which I have fought so long?" he had called in the still of the night to the Lord of the Air, and then to the Lady of the Stars. But the air was still, and the stars continued their slow, graceful dance across the fields of the sky, to all appearances unheedful of the dancer unable to rise from the ground.

Last edited by Rían : 12-20-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #670
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The renegade Eastern Wolf Pack had been following the lone rider at distance for several days. Red Maw and Sharp Fangs were making the pack ready for a sneaky attack.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #671
Rían

Tuesday,
a long day's ride from Tharbad

As Tyaron continued to look at the dagger, he began to softly sing, and he finally saw the pictures he wanted: first, the glad reunion, in the midst of the battle, of Fingon and his brother Turgon, who had come unlooked for out of the refuge of Gondolin. Húrin and his brother Huor, of the house of Hador, were at the side of Fingon. The meeting of those brothers was something that Tyaron would never forget.

And the second picture: Tyaron's last glimpse of Húrin and Huor, as the host of Gondolin at the entreaty of Húrin and Huor went back to their refuge, in order to preserve a stronghold against Morgoth and to preserve a hope for Men and Elves. That was the most difficult retreat that Tyaron had ever made, and the memory pained him still, but one does not refuse the entreaties of men like Huor and Húrin, when they are asked with the certain knowledge of their own death. Turgon had demurred at Húrin's request, saying that Gondolin must fall, too, but Huor's was different, and the king was unable to refuse it. Tyaron remembered Huor's words and face as he spoke to the king: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and from me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

And Tyaron felt a movement at his side, and turned to see the look on the face of Maeglin, the traitor, and his blood ran cold.

If Tyaron had had a choice, he would have preferred to stay in the battle with the remnants of Fingon's men, for he esteemed Fingon above his brother Turgon, but his sworn alligiance lay with Turgon, and he fought with the men of Gondolin and won their retreat behind the wall of the bodies of the men of Dor-lomin. He turned to look back only once, and his last glimpse of the brothers was burned into his memory: Húrin with his axe mid-swing and his fierce, defiant yell of, "Aurë entuluva! Day shall come again!"; Huor with, of all things, a peaceful smile on his blood-smeared face as he guarded his brother's back and watched the retreat of Gondolin, knowing that now, the final victory would not be Morgoth's.

These were the pictures that Tyaron would etch on the man's dagger, for the man was of the house of Hador.

Last edited by Rían : 12-21-2005 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #672
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

The rider hadn't noticed them yet. They kept following him and closing in. He appeared preoccupied with his dagger.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:03 PM   #673
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Orrodel, Tuesday, around 10 AM

"You know, Vivvie" said Lilaenwen, choosing a croissant from the basket in the middle of the table, "I just can't understand why our friend U...- Maethor has been so hateful yesterday!". Lilly pursed her lips prettily. "I just can't see what is wrong with him. Pass me the butter, please! - Thank you.... As if he missed his wives or something. But I have a good idea for the evening. Only I need Buz to be near. I will tweak Udu's tail all right again!"

And Lilly threw her head back and laughed. Viniglaen frowned. She didn't like the idea at all. "Look, Lilly..." she started, to be immediately interrupted again.

"Do you like my crimson dress? I know, I know, I look better in green, but it is much brighter and more fashionable, and has got really LOW neckline, so the King will not miss me among the other girls. You will have to do my hair, Vivvie, before running away to your Ray. And paint my eyes. I can't rely on silly Zimra on a day like that!"

Viv sighed. She believed Lil's eyes were much better without paint, but there was no way to explain that much to Lilly. "Well, if you want to look like an undersized pink dragon..."

Lilly waved her knife in the air dismissively. "Today is a decisive day, dearie. Battle day, so to say. I will snatch the Kinglet from right under Gordie's nose. It will teach her manners all right. And it is also a means to tweak the Captain's tail, if you understand my meaning. They will learn how to cross me."

And Lilly jumped up from her chair, and pirouetted around the table, singing

One, two, three, now we are free!
Happy day, Big Brother is away!

to the tune of "the Happy Troll", that used to be much en vogue in Barad-Dur right before the Last War.

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 12-20-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #674
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Just as the Pack was about to attack the rider he turned and lifted the dagger.

It shone brightly in a magical white light which then stabbed out at the wolves, which had no chance, the spirits in them leaving the possessed in a mad rush.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:01 AM   #675
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Viv & Lil Do Breakfast

Viv stood looking out her bedroom window for a moment, staring at the eastern sun's long rays that were inching over the tops of the trees outside. She was spacing out, again, with thousands of thoughts struggling inside her head and heart looking for resolution. But it was hard to think without dreaming on an empty stomach, and so early in the morning. Trying to think while in love with impossibility was tough enough, never mind the extra distractions.

The ultramarine dress had been a mistake. It was too somber, too dramatic for a fresh Tuesday morning. Viniglaen felt it might make her appear too - oh, what was the term? Refined. She tossed the dark velvet dress over the back of a chair, and chose instead her baby-grey and whisper pink morning gown, with matching baby-grey kidskin mid-calf booties and a long silk chiffon whisper-pink scarf which she threw across her shoulders.

Viniglaen and Lilaenwen shared the vast breakfast table in the nook off the dining room. The fresh and eager morning sun had already invited itself to the room, and glinted off the shiny surfaces of the polished silver, and sliced their ways through the lead crystal tumblers of pomegranate juice. This bloodlike light spilled splotch-like on the otherwise pristine tablecloth, perfectly mimicking the wicked hue of Lilly's morning adventure in dress.

Vivvie thoughtfully sipped a tiny cup of tea, while Lilly spoke.

It was when Lil jumped up from the breakfast table and began to dance around singing old Barad Dur tunes that Viv finally snapped. Or maybe it was the spilt tea that Lil's boisterous antics had caused.

"LILLY!" said Viv, jumping up herself and quickly pulling the skirts of her dress away from the arc of tea splashing toward her. "Calm DOWN! Do you honestly think you can keep getting away with all the pranks you pull on those guys?"

Lil stopped her pirouette for a second, and peered innocently with startled green eyes at Viv's sudden break in serenity.

"U- I mean, Maethor will not be as patient with you as uncle K - I mean, Galadannun has been!" Having to constantly measure every word and utterance for fear of spying ears was starting to drive Viv crazy, and it was making it quite difficult for her to be able to really say what she wanted to say to her crazy sister. She lowered her flashing eyes and fixed Lil with a captive intensity stare, and reverted to thoughtspeech.

'Think about it, Lilaenwen, think about how terrifying, how painful your punishment from Khamul was the other day, and THAT was just for shreiking at the game! Our Lord will not be merciful, either; Khamul is his right hand man. In fact, all the men stick together, and at the end of the day, do you really think Buz will even come CLOSE to being capable of holdiong off the men once you anger them to immesurable cruelty? The answer is NO, no he won't be able to, not Buz, not me and Buz, not against Uncle K and Udu AND our Lord.'

The whole time Viv projected these urgently worried words into Lil's mind, Lil had been held in thrall by Viv's immobilising eyes. Lilly loved her little sister, as much as a Nazgul woman like herself could love any other of her kind. She knew that what Viv ever had to say about a thing so close to her well-being would come straight from a place of truth and of familial love, but nothing could change Lil's mind about an idea, once she figured out how she wanted to get what she wanted.

"Then DON'T help me,' answered Lil, petulantly. "I shall figure it out on my own. I don't need yours or anyone elses help!" She flounced out the yards of crimson fabric flowing from her tiny waist, and made to stomp away dramatically, but Viv rushed up to her from around the table and gently grasped her sister's arm.

"Look, just calm down," Viv said aloud, soothingly. "I'll help you, O.K.? I'll do the best I can to keep you from harm, and to get you the vital information you crave, but listen - " and at this point she went back to the thoughtspeech - 'I'll give you that Marty guy, if you can be satisfied with that, but don't start expecting me to get between our Lord and Gordis' plans with that stupid King, if there are any. I won't go there, Lil, you know that full well. I'll give you my boyfriend's best friend before I even consider betraying a single one of Us. Who cares about that silly King, anyway? Isn't Marty much cuter?'

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-22-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #676
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

The wolves retreated into the wilderness. All inclination of aggression vanished in them

But over the air faint whispers could be heard.

'Inssssolent welp of a human. Did he really think it that eassssy to vanquisssssh ussss. He issss in for a surprissse.'

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 12-21-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #677
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Tuesday, 4am

Raendil woke up early that morning, as was his custom, even though his first class was at 11. He was used to his routine, and wasn’t about to change it. It gave him lots of free time, which was quite the first for him. He was used to getting up at dawn, eating, going to his tutors for his private lessons and then heading to the training fields to fetch Volricom then head out on the patrols. Depending on the reports of the scouts, he could spend a day to weeks out camped on his father’s borders. In truth, it was in Imladris and growing up with Valandil for those few years that he really had any free time.

Now that he had it, he planned to make the most of it. Getting dressed, he girt on his sword and bow, and fetched Volricom from his stable. “Come on boy, eat up so we can go to our private grounds!” The stallion snorted and arched his neck, having finished his breakfast. It was five by the time Ray finished his sketch for both his smithing classes and his reading for others, he saddled up Volricom and they dashed off to the abandoned training ground/park that Ray and Marty had adopted as their own.

On his way there, he saw not only Marty headed over on Ithilion, but also…I’ll be damned! Another elf! Indeed, for whom he saw was none other than Alagos. Though he didn’t know that, as he was too far away, and didnt know Rian had a brother. To Ray it was just a lone elf wandering the early morning streets. Wandering the streets fully armed with bow, quiver and sword. “Mae govannen! It is not often a mortal city is graced with the presence of the first born! I am Raendil, and glad to welcome you to Tharbad!” The elf turned around swiftly, hand straying to his sword. The stranger smiled and gave his greeting in turn. “Aaye!” They both stopped for a moment, seeing as both recognized each other.

Tis the young lad who was glued to the hip of Valandil, I wonder, are the two still as fast friends as they were?”

I dimly know him…must be from Imladris that I have seen him. But he looks familiar in another way…

Alagos smiled and decided to test something, “Mae govannen, Nae saian luume' Raendil! Lle quena i'lambe tel' Eldalie?”

Ray flashed him a grin, putting his hand over his heart and lowering his head, “Ha! Uma, Nae saian luume' Mellon!”*

Indeed, I did see him at Imladris! Alagos is his name if I remember rightly. He made Valandil a bow! Ray hopped down from Volricom and gave a warrior’s handclasp to Alagos. He hadn’t changed a bit since Raendil saw him in Imladris all those years ago.

Well, of course, he’s an elf…Did I expect otherwise? Though, he does look a little …depressed?

“Well Raendil, I see you have turned into a mighty warrior. I remember when you were barely as tall as my bow!”

“I am greatly surprised to see you Alagos! More surprised still that you remembered me!” Ray nodded at Alagos’ weaponry. “Intending to ‘Shoot the breeze’ my friend?” The elf grinned and nodded.

“Actually, I was hoping to find some sort of a range or something. Though I do not wish to go to the soldiers barracks or training fields.”

“I think I can help you there! Come let’s walk. Both I as well as a friend of mine -Marthalion- have adopted and started to rehabilitate this old training ground. It’s quite beautifully laid out, so it might also have functioned as a park. We can walk if you don’t wish to share a horse.” Ray grinned, as he knew he would be catching Alagos admiring the lines and musculature of Volricom. Alagos whistled. “A fine intelligent horse if ever I’ve laid eyes on one!” Volricom obviously felt the same about the elf and nuzzled Alagos.

“Care to ride him? He knows his way to the park. Just tell him where you want to go and the will take you there!” Ray grinned, and so did Alagos.

“But you’d be without a horse my friend!”

“Its not a long walk, though the way I have been fixing the field, there is a little track. Some jumps as well. I can use a jog!” Alagos leaped into the saddle and Volricom reared and took off at his riders bidding. Raendil grinned and followed the pair over to the training field and introduced Alagos to Marthalion.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 12-23-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 AM   #678
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Minas Aran. 9:35 a.m. Tuesday

"In here," replied Khamûl, looking around. "now."
"What?" replied Rian, shocked, that after what he had done he still had the nerve to tell her what to do.
"Now," replied Khamûl icily, waving the book in his hand forcing Rian to follow. "Come Sapthan."
"Why have you bought me in here?" asker Rian nervously, moving her hand towards a hidden dagger.
"To avoid a spectacle. We wouldn't everybody hearing you shout at a Professor would we?" said Khamûl.
"No, now my book if you would. i have a lesson later today, and would like to study for a bit beforehand," replied Rian, looking for an excuse to leave quickly.
"Very well. Now Sapthan, do you know whether this book belongs in the library, i have not been here long, and have not had time to familiarise myself with all the books," said Khamûl.
"No sir. This book does not belong to the library, it is the property of Lady Rian," said Sapthan, watching Khamûl face turn to anger as he said these words.
"Thank you, but I shall have to verify this with the Chancellor. Rian, if you return tomorrow I shall tell you what decision I have come to."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 AM   #679
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Tuesday, beginning ~ 7 am:

Valandil awoke and was instantly afraid that he had overslept. A quick survey of his surroundings, mostly noting how high the sun had climbed in the east showed him that he could make it - but time was tight.

He yawned. He would HAVE to get a good night's sleep in sometime soon... all these late night activities... and crazy dreams! He went to his basin, splashed some water on his face and ran his wet hands through his hair, then quickly dried, pulled on a fresh tunic and put on his belt and boots. He saw the sword and thought about strapping it on, but decided against it. He grabbed a cloak, then on down to the kitchen for a fast breakfast.

Fast, he thought, but he didn't want to just have a bowl of oats today... chicken eggs, meat, bread, cheese and something the chef made from potatoes - then he grabbed his materials for the day and darted out the door. No sign of Oreturion or Estelmo - but the former was an early riser and had probably already eaten, while the latter might still be sleeping in.

A brisk walk to campus (during which he was constantly reminded of that part of the dream), then through the University entrance. He had to check himself there - pausing to look at the Chancellor's home for just a moment, then on to his Bridge-building class. He wondered idly, as he walked, how he might fill all the time between Bridge-building and Commerce... over five hours!

He was surprised, when he walked into the classroom, to see Pengolod there - whom he had just met the night before. Just didn't seem the engineering type to him. The other six or so fellows in the class certainly did. It seemed like it would be a serious group. He nodded to Pengolod and took an open seat behind most of the others - there was still another vacant row behind him. Valandil had just taken a seat and begun to arrange his things when the Chancellor came in, briefly looked over the class - his eyes pausing on the King - and began to lay out his teaching materials for the day.

Just after the Chancellor's arrival came an unexpected interruption. The two ladies who had kept following Valandil around at the reception dance the night before last - came in with two other noble young maidens (these latter a bit better looking) and approached the Chancellor. This got the immediate attention of Valandil's classmates.

"Good morning, Mister Chancellor,... Lord Ilmenzor," began one. "My sister Malaphel and I, together with our friends, have developed an interest in bridges," - why did they pause and look toward Valandil just then? - "and would like to sit in on your class today if we might, to decide if we should request admittance to it."

The Chancellor appeared to be quite charmed, bowed with a slight smile and gestured toward the seats. The young ladies, all giggling slightly, walked past the appreciative stares of most of Valandil's classmates and sat in the row behind him, each brushing lightly against him as they went by. Before the Chancellor was quite ready to begin his presentation, Valandil felt a slight nudge from behind. Ilmenzor's attention was diverted, so he turned slightly to see four smiling feminine faces, one of which, the one who had spoken to the Chancellor, held a piece of paper toward him. Valandil took it hesitantly, then turned and discretely opened it, and held it so that he could read it without notice. It read:

Valandil was a Human King,
To him the ladies gladly sing.
High King who lived unmarried, free,
They longed to keep him company.

His lance was long, his sword was keen,
They all aspired to be his Queen.
Desires and wishes fully healed,
Alas - his mother was his shield!

She chases all the maids away,
And keeps the King apart from play.
They'll watch in darkness from afar,
In Arnor, when his door's ajar.

Valandil fought hard to keep the color from rising in this face and to keep his features even.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 12-22-2005 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #680
Rían

"Thank you, but I shall have to verify this with the Chancellor. R*an, if you return tomorrow I shall tell you what decision I have come to."

With this latest outrage, R*an's anger went from hot to cold, which was even more dangerous, and her voice was deceptively soft as she spoke rapidly and angrily in response to the Professor's insulting words.

"There is no need for me to return tomorrow, Professor," (that last word said as disrespectfully as possible, as if it was impossible to believe that such a man could ever be a teacher), "for I shall not leave until I have what is rightfully mine back again. You have several choices before you. You may give it to me now, on my own word and the word of your assistant librarian here that it belongs to me, for as you said, you don't even know your own library, and both Sapthân and I know it does NOT belong in the library. If you prefer to insult us both by calling us liars and wanting more proof, then you can turn to the title page and read the dedication where it clearly says my name, and listen to me as I recite from memory everything that is in my book. And if you still won't return it to me - " here, R*an stepped in even closer and laid her finger on his shoulder, speaking even more softly and angrily, "you didn't want a spectacle? Well, I shall make such a spectacle for you that it will be talked about for years all throughout the city, for that book is mine, and you have wrongfully taken it from me."

She stepped back and folded her arms across her chest, never once taking her eyes off him. "Now, what is your choice? I advise the first one, for the good of everyone."

Last edited by Rían : 12-22-2005 at 06:34 PM.