Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #581
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

AAAAAH!!! Someone got video recordings of me doing the Don Giovanni and the Thais!!! I'm gonna upload 'em to youtube and then post the links here.

You guys gotta see the Thais... I say that because the music is soooo beautiful. Massenet is a musical genius.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #582
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uHAzotc32o

WHEE!! Thais! The sound quality is not great, it sounds much better on the file I have on my computer, but oh well. I could pull apart a ton of things in the singing and acting that need work, but honestly I'm just grateful I survived.

Although seriously.... who's idea was it to make me look like a 12 year-old? >.< Geeze. I know, some day I'll be grateful, but right now it's just annnnoying.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #583
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hmmm, well listening to the recording of my latest voice lesson has revealed to me two things: 1. I think I'm pushing too much breath when I sing and 2. My voice sounds hollow.... which I think means my placement is not yet correct.

On the good side: I sound nice. That's a major improvement from where I started!

I'm not entirely sure how to fix the breath pressure, except to start focusing my attention on more warmup exercises that involve controlled breath release (like hissing, long exhalation, etc.) and to continue refining my breath support.

The placement thing is another puzzler. I guess I just need to get back to placement basics and keep exploring how much further forwards I can put my voice before it becomes too forward.

Of course there's a possibility that the hollowness is just because I'm young and my voice hasn't finished maturing yet, but I doubt that. I think it's a placement thing.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #584
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yes, you do; creamy smooth baritone. Your Thais also has a lovely voice.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #585
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Yes, you do; creamy smooth baritone. Your Thais also has a lovely voice.
Thank you . Means a lot coming from an opera lover such as yourself. I feel like it took me a very long time to get to the point where I started sounding nice instead of just choked off, or throaty, so I try to keep in mind (when I get frustrated) that my voice really has come an awfully long way from where it started... Heck, going from hearing people say, "You might have an okay voice for a choir teacher," to "You could have a great career if you keep at it," is an improvement in and of itself.

Yes both of my Thais girls were fantastic! That one in particular had a big voice, and just about the most beautiful high Eb's that I've ever heard. She's either gonna be a large voiced lyric with a great extension, or some kind of dramatic coloratura. She really held her voice back for the Thais, it's quite a big voice.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #586
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

You do sound nice! Great finally to hear you (and to see you ) - and in some real performance, too, not just something you recorded from your lessons!

I recognized that piano music at the end - I've definitely heard it on its own, without any singing to go with it.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #587
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
You do sound nice! Great finally to hear you (and to see you ) - and in some real performance, too, not just something you recorded from your lessons!
Thank you . I appreciate all of your kind comments and encouragements.

Quote:
I recognized that piano music at the end - I've definitely heard it on its own, without any singing to go with it.
It's the "meditation" from Thais, which is a -very- beautiful piece often played on violin.

I had a fantastic voice lesson today. The tongue thing we fixed, along with a realization I had about my registration, have made an -enormous- difference. Today I sang a piece I wasn't able to sing last semester.

On the downside, we tried to sing one of my old pieces and it was -horrible-. I can't bring the new techniques to it... the old habits are just too strong. But when we switched over to a new piece I've never sung before, it was incredibly easy... which is funny, because the new piece is -way- harder than the old piece; it sits higher in my voice, and has much higher notes.

I'm excited! She thinks I'm almost technically and vocally at a point where we could check out the "Votre Toste" from Carmen (the bull fighter's song), which would be great! I mean I don't think I would be ready to 'perform' it for many years yet, but to work on shouldn't be a problem pretty soon.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #588
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Know how you have those weird moments where everything sort of comes together at once?

We've had a 'guest' conductor the last two weeks while our director has been out of town (she's one of our alto section leaders), and at first I was sort of "don't love it or hate it" about her directing style, but it's grown on me and I really love it now.

Today our usual choir member who plays the piano for the mid-day rehearsal group was sick, so I offered to plunk out notes. It's funny, because for the last few months I have been playing the piano a lot more than I usually do. I don't know why, the urge has just constantly been there. So luckily my piano skills were in okay shape. She was impressed that I could play at all under pressure, so my many mistakes didn't phase her .

Then at the end of the final service, I saw a thing in the choir room about how a local group is about to start auditioning. Since I wont be in a school choir next semester it suddenly hit me, "Maybe I should join a non-academic choir." So for some reason I stopped the guest director and asked her if she knew of any good groups I should audition for.

This afternoon she e-mailed me saying that she's been wanting to get together a group of guys to do a small choir group for some really great music (she and I have a similar taste in music), and asking if I'd be interested in doing it if she can get a group together.

Weird! Maybe nothing will come of it, but either way it was just a weird colliding of multiple events. This is the kind of thing that makes me believe there's no such thing as 'luck' . Things seem to happen all at once for a reason. It's also nice to have this little 'event' (even if it doesn't pan out) just as I'm getting worried about losing my motivation.

I'm pretty nervous about this whole changing my major thing, but I believe that it's the right thing to do. I'm anxious, but it 'feels' right and it is definitely logical. Hope and pray.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #589
Varnafindë

Sounds like a very good idea!
And it also sounds like what I like to call "carefully planned coincidences".

Old 08-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #590
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My friend and I decided on Tuesday that we're going to try to do some kind of a Christmas thing. We're not sure where... maybe at one of the churches in town, or maybe just try hitting some open mic nights.

So we made a big list of Christmas songs, and we're trying to find more. We'll weed it down to about our 'top ten' and then see if our top ten lists match at all and go from there to narrow it down to maybe four or five pieces.

Any suggestions? This is what we have so far:

Quote:
Three Ships
Silent Night
In the bleak midwinter
patapan
...riu-riu-chiu
Away in a manger (traditional)
noel
what child is this?
good king W.
Let there be peace on earth
God rest ye merry gentlemen
Adam lay ye bounden
Sussex Carol
In Dulci Jubilo
Once In Royal David's City
The Angel Gabriel
The Seven Joys of Mary
Love Came Down At Christmas
The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy
Gaudete
The Holly and the Ivy
Be merry, be merry
The Wexford Carol
Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
Down In Yon Forest
We Wish You A Merry Christmas
Lo How A Rose Is Blooming
O Come Emanuel
Cherry Tree Carol
The Huron Carol
I Wonder as I Wander
Rocking Carol
See amid the winter's snow
A Virgin Unspotted
While Shepherds Watched The Flocks by Night
Joy To The World
We're thinking we could do them as duets (come up with some harmonies and whatnot) and possibly get someone (or I could take a stab at it) to play some finger-style guitar. Nothing strummy, because I think that sounds cheesy, but we both think a nice 'classical guitar' sound would be perfect for Christmas tunes.

I tend to lean towards wanting to pick the traditional folk-tune style of carols, but that's mostly because I'm so in love with "traditional" Irish music. I put traditional in quotes because of course up till about 30 years ago apparently Irish folk music didn't have harmonies, and it wasn't till people like Clannad and the Dubliners came along that people started adding harmonies.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #591
Varnafindë

Some of my favorites:

Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
It came upon a Midnight clear
The Little Drummer Boy

The first two of those have two different tunes, and I prefer one of each - can't remember the composers of my favorite tunes off hand, though ...

Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #592
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oooh, Oh Little Town of Bethlehem is beautiful. I'll look for those alternate melodies.

I'm a little peeved this morning. I can't seem to find a good male (current) broadway singer that doesn't have enormous technique problems. It amazes me how some of these guys are famous because they're good looking and they can hit high notes, even though the rest of their voice is totally unstable. They all seem to have this really 'thin' vocal quality, and most of them have huuuuuge pitch problems, or can't sing a phrase without 'gulping' the first note/word.

I'm just annoyed because I'm trying to find some good, current vocal models (got plenty of 'old broadway' models) and I really can't find any.

Ooooon the plus side my voice is doing great. Loving the new technique, etc. The only thing is that I think I need to keep working on bringing my voice further forward.... now it's warm and very pleasant (which is great), and it's not as 'hollow' as it was before (you can hear a lot of that in the Thais), but it's still lacking some of the oomph it should have.

I've also just started playing piano for my friend's voice lessons... started working on her music the other day, and this will be -great- for my piano skills. I hope. O_o
Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #593
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Oooh, Oh Little Town of Bethlehem is beautiful. I'll look for those alternate melodies.
I looked at a CD which put "Traditional" for the tunes of both Oh Little Town of Bethlehem and It came upon a Midnight clear rather than giving any composers - and both of them are my less favorite versions

I wonder whether my favorite Oh Little Town of Bethlehem tune could be by Redner?

I'll listen to a couple more Christmas Carols CDs and see if I can find them.

August, anyone?
Oh, at my office we got a flyer in the post the other week reminding us to order our Christmas cards soon if we want them personalised for our company ...

Edit 1:
Quote:
Richard Storrs Willis (February 10, 1819 – May 10, 1900) was an American composer, notably of hymn music. One of his hymns is "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear" (1850), with lyrics by Edmund Sears.
From Wikipedia

Edit 2:
Yup, Redner
Quote:
Lewis Henry Redner (December 15, 1831, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – August 29, 1908, Hotel Marlborough, Atlantic City, New Jersey) was an American musician, best known as the composer of the popular Christmas carol "St. Louis", better known as "O Little Town of Bethlehem".
From Wikipedia

This is good - now I can use this thread as my reference

Last edited by Varnafindë : 08-23-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #594
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Haha! That's fantastic. I will check those out. Thanks for figuring out who it was.

I had a great lesson today! Made a breakthrough last night when I was thinking about the whole 'pulling the low voice up higher' thing. I had no idea what a difference it was making till my teacher stopped in the middle of vocalizing and asked what I was doing differently.

I also woke up able to croon this morning. O_o I can't explain it... I sang "The Nearness of You," and totally floored my teacher (and myself for that matter). I've been beating myself up because my jazz stuff always sounds like an opera singer faking their way, but suddenly my voice just opened up this morning and all of the stuff I've been trying to do for years started happening on its own.

All along I had thought maybe I wasn't musical, but now I realize that I actually do have good musical sensibilities, I just didn't have that one little physical 'key' so that I could express what I was hearing in my head.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #595
Varnafindë

Great.

Just great!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #596
Pip
Elven Warrior

I'm so excited. I got into the Colorado Choral Arts Soeciety and rehearsal starts in a couple of weeks.
America, what will we miss while we are sleeping/Will Jesus come again and leave us slumbering where we lay/America, will we go down in history/As the nation with no room for it's King/Will we be sleeping?
Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #597
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That was mesmerizing, Tessar, and I'm not even an opera fan! I don't know how you walk around and sing like that - I think I'd fall down or trip or something Thanks for sharing

edit - btw, what act/scene was that? IOW, what's going on, since I don't know French!

2nd edit - Your accompanist seemed to do a great job, too, at least from my uneducated POV - from your educated POV, was he/she good?

also another note - the lyricism that you guys made was really nice - as you took turns with your parts, it didn't seem like you were tossing a ball around ("my turn!" "now my turn!"), it seemed ... oh, kind of like you were holding the two ends of a ribbon, and took turns dancing with it, and then both danced in the duets. It was very smooth and ... kind of continuous, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
On the downside, we tried to sing one of my old pieces and it was -horrible-. I can't bring the new techniques to it... the old habits are just too strong.
Reminds me of a coupla pieces I play on the harp - I learned some before I took lessons, not realizing my technique was totally wrong (which affects the sound, too) and whenever I play those pieces, I go back to back technique

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 08-25-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #598
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Proud of myself... sang really well in choir rehearsal tonight and kicked some serious vocal butt on a really hard piece, then came home and sang a little bit more... even popped out an F4 or two at home. My throat is tired, but I sound good and I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with a long day (left the house at 8:30a.m.and didn't get back home till 10p.m.) and the amount of singing I did... plus I think this new way of singing is making me engage muscles in my throat that I haven't used as much before (to keep the larynx steady), because it's not a "bad" tiredness like my throat is about to get sore... just feels like a little fatigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
edit - btw, what act/scene was that? IOW, what's going on, since I don't know French!
It is in the third act... I think it might actually be the first part of the third act. It is a truly beautiful scene... and quite emotionally charged. The opera is about a priest and a high class courtesan.

The basic story is that the priest thinks he wants to go find this courtesan and save her soul for God. He rebukes her, eventually convinces her to renounce her lifestyle, and they begin to journey across the desert towards a nunnery.

This particular scene starts where they are traveling through the desert and she is exhausted (they both are) and she asks if they can stop. At first he says no, and rebukes her further. Then she almost collapses and he changes his tone. Then he goes off to get her fruit and water, and when he comes back he's completely overwhelmed by her beauty. The duet is the moment when he realizes he is totally head-over-heels for her, and she (unaware of his love) completely commits herself to God.

Just then the nuns show up, and she leaves and he is struck by the fact that he'll never see her again. I wont spoil the ending of the opera (if you don't already know/guess it) but it's quite a tear-jerker. You should check it out!

Quote:
2nd edit - Your accompanist seemed to do a great job, too, at least from my uneducated POV - from your educated POV, was he/she good?

also another note - the lyricism that you guys made was really nice - as you took turns with your parts, it didn't seem like you were tossing a ball around ("my turn!" "now my turn!"), it seemed ... oh, kind of like you were holding the two ends of a ribbon, and took turns dancing with it, and then both danced in the duets. It was very smooth and ... kind of continuous, if you know what I mean.
Oh heck yes. He is EXTRAORDINARY!!! He works with some of the opera companies to get opera singers ready (i.e. he coaches them on their pronunciation, vocalization, etc.) and he works with opera singers to get them ready to go audition for those big opera companies. He is not only an incredible pianist, but an amazing musician overall.

He and the director are the reason for that lyrical flow you noticed to our singing... when the girl in the video and I showed up, we both pretty much put it flat out on the table for the director and accompanist that we both felt out of our league with the music and that we were struggling. They worked with us till it came together as much as we could make it. Even the 28 year-old struggled a bit, because it's reeeeally hard music, but of course she was much better "equipped" to handle the challenge.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 AM   #599
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I had already checked it out before I posted, and reading the synopsis made me wonder what part that was. I guessed right! (I guessed that was her leaving with the nun).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #600
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well yesterday my good friend, the mezzo, and I spent a couple of hours arranging some of the carols and I'm pretty excited! We had a great time doing it.

Then today I tried getting up extra early, and I went for a 15 minute jog before heading in to sing the Sunday services, and what do you know? It worked great! It's really true that if you warm your body up before you go and try to sing, you barely need to warm your voice up at all.

I'm pretty frustrated with my director though. I found out that he hasn't written down a thing in his score (i.e. no character notes, no blocking, not even scene settings) and then he wanted to argue with me that I hadn't written down enough (because I didn't know OTHER people's blocking) and saying that I must have written down what he said incorrectly. He didn't even bother asking the other people what their blocking was, he wanted me to tell him... which I can promise you is 100% not my responsibility because none of their blocking affected me, and I am not the stage manager!!

It was particularly frustrating because several times he actually gave me directions with left and right mixed up (which can happen, but it's a basic director's skill to be able to know which is which....), and because I knew I was right, just that some of the other people weren't doing their blocking right. He finally realized I was right, but it was very frustrating to get called out as being wrong and have to put on a smile and say, "Oh, well maybe I'm confused!" when I'm the only one who wrote anything down. Having to treat this guy like he's just the bee's knees when all I really want to do is smack him upside the head and say, "Do your job!" is pretty hard .