Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-15-2004, 03:53 PM   #41
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Would you believe I have been to Cornwall and not Tintagel!?!

You are so cool for having done that Spock! Aren't Arthur and Guinevere supposed to be buried at Glatonsbury? Guinevere makes sense, because didn't she retire to a nunnery after Camlann (where is the battle site?)? However, Arthur can't possibly have a grave anywhere in normal ordinary England, he has to be buried at Avalon!

ACTUALLY, according to my research, he was buried at Avalon-if you ever view Glastonbury Tor in the early morning from a distance, with a mist around it..it is Avalon! Very mystical indeed. The battle site of Camlann is in a farmers field. You have to know where to go as it's not marked from the roadway. I walked in and searched about for an hr. before finding the marker. Research really pays off. :-)

Tintagel is a blast. With "merlins cave" underneath and a chamber that lead from the top of Tintagel down into that cave, there is good reason to hold it as "the site". I even managed to conquer my vertigo to climb up there...it was well worth my pain.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #42
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

The Skystone and its sequels were indeed brilliant, however I have to say, that I truly enjoy the Once and Future King series, by T.H. White (the first book is The Sword in the Stone)

Another great one is the Crystal Cave Trilogy by Mary Stewart

But the best ever, is the Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead...unbelieveable! (Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon & Grail are the five books in that order...READ THEM!!!!)
Old 11-16-2004, 11:00 AM   #43
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund
The Skystone and its sequels were indeed brilliant, however I have to say, that I truly enjoy the Once and Future King series, by T.H. White (the first book is The Sword in the Stone)

Another great one is the Crystal Cave Trilogy by Mary Stewart

But the best ever, is the Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead...unbelieveable! (Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon & Grail are the five books in that order...READ THEM!!!!)

Yes indeed, I love all of those and have them in my bookcase.

Last edited by Spock : 11-16-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #44
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Me too! Stephen Lawhead's cycle and The Dream of Eagles series (first book being the Skystone) are my two favourite Arthurian legends.

Lawhead's "Arthur" is a very humorous and interesting book too. Like when Sir Kay is relating how Arthur defeated Cerdic and what's-his-head (Morcant?) at their own fort.

... and did this make him happy? No it did not!

That whole story is the funniest scene in any Arthurian legend I've ever read. I wish I had those books here! I'd quote the entire section.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:26 AM   #45
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

*bump*

That's interesting about Glatonsbury. Actually, I think I did know that. In "The Mists of Avalon", Glatonsbury is very near Avalon (which is drawn into the mist at the end. Or something.)

Does anyone know where the battle of Camlan was? What about Badon Hill. I'm sure they have plausible geographical references.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-03-2004, 07:47 AM   #46
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
...Does anyone know where the battle of Camlan was? What about Badon Hill. I'm sure they have plausible geographical references.
This goes beyond literary legends, and into possible historical sources for Arthurian legends, but I'd say:

Camlan = a field in central Wales (I loaned the book to a friend and don't have it back - so can't give precise location)

Badon Hill = Bath

Camelot = Viroconium

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:49 AM   #47
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Viroconium? Where is that?

Jack Whyte put Colchester IIRC (or near Colchester anyway) as Camelot. But that's north east of London, so now I'm confused. I always though Camelot was... um... west of Swindon? I'm confused now.

Here's a good map site, what do you think guys?
Maps
Quote:
Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #48
Valandil

Quote:
Viroconium? Where is that?...
Wroxeter - 4 miles east of Schrewsbury, on the River Severn.

Old Roman town - which I read had some fairly significant re-construction activity in the 5th cent. AD.

Try a search on it.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 12-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #49
Mercutio

This is kind of on topic (but a bit off to the side ). I really enjoyed reading Mark Twains A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. In fact, I wrote my English paper on it last year. It's mainly a satire of King Arthur's legends/times, the Roman Catholic Church (my paper topic), and some other stuff...hmm...

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:43 PM   #50
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

yes it is off topic

Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:49 PM   #51
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

So is that Spock!

Anyway, you know who I wish got more camera time? King Arthur! Does it make any sense to anyone that he is one of the main characters who graces an Arthurian legend's pages the least?

I also have yet to read one from his point of view as well. Okay, the narrator dying at the end would be rather awkward, but how cool would it be to read one from Arthur's own point of view!?

Sir Bedwyr and Guinevere are the most believable narrators.
Quote:
Old 12-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #52
Valandil

Quote:
So is that Spock!

Anyway, you know who I wish got more camera time? King Arthur! Does it make any sense to anyone that he is one of the main characters who graces an Arthurian legend's pages the least?

I also have yet to read one from his point of view as well. Okay, the narrator dying at the end would be rather awkward, but how cool would it be to read one from Arthur's own point of view!?

Sir Bedwyr and Guinevere are the most believable narrators.
Nurvi - did you think you were posting in the movie thread???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-04-2004, 06:39 PM   #53
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
This is kind of on topic (but a bit off to the side ). I really enjoyed reading Mark Twains A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. In fact, I wrote my English paper on it last year. It's mainly a satire of King Arthur's legends/times, the Roman Catholic Church (my paper topic), and some other stuff...hmm...
It's interesting that you liked it, because I heard it was terrible... As in, one of the worst books of all time. Culturally insensitive and ignorant and all that. Do you think the review I read just missed the humourous point? And would you recommend the book?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:46 PM   #54
Mercutio

It's quite humurous. I mean...yes it's pretty critical of things--if you don't realize how so much of its satire is well...satire, and often reflecting of Clemen's personal views (which weren't exactly perfect...) it could come across pretty bad. If you read it knowing what it is though its excellent.

My paper, for example, is all about its satire of the Catholic Church--it points out all sorts of stuff Twain missed, or reflections of the time (around when it was written anti-Catholicism in the U.S. was at an all time high due to things like immigration).

I hope that made sense.

I suggest you check out this website: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/railto...e/cyhompg.html .

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #55
sun-star
Lady of Letters

That does make sense I had the impression that it was one of those "let's put an American in Ye Olde England and see how stupid everybody looks" comedies (like a very bad Hollywood film...) but I'm sure it is more than that In fact that site says it's perhaps his most complex book. Interesting.

Last edited by sun-star : 12-04-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #56
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
It's interesting that you liked it, because I heard it was terrible... As in, one of the worst books of all time. Culturally insensitive and ignorant and all that. Do you think the review I read just missed the humourous point? And would you recommend the book?
I don't know, I think "King Solomon's Mines" might have it beat, but I haven't personally read it to comment.

Are you saying "A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" isn't actually about a Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's court? Or it makes fun of Arthurian legends?

If either is the case, sounds dumb to me. But I would like to know more about it.

(Were you thinking of "A Kid in King Arthur's Court" sun-star. But this is about book here. )
Quote:
Old 12-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #57
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Are you saying "A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" isn't actually about a Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's court? Or it makes fun of Arthurian legends?
Neither. It's clear to me what it's about. However, as I said above, I had been informed that its intention was to make fun of England and English history in the way some American writers are so happy to do. Mercutio has explained that it's not like that, and I suggest you follow the link she provided for further information

Quote:
(Were you thinking of "A Kid in King Arthur's Court" sun-star. But this is about book here. )
I've never heard of that. What is it?
Old 12-04-2004, 08:00 PM   #58
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Okay, I'll read the link a little more thourouglly. And the book... I think I actually started it.
Quote:
Old 12-05-2004, 11:51 AM   #59
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[QUOTE=Nurvingiel]So is that Spock!

HEY, "M" asked and I merely confirmed.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:59 PM   #60
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
HEY, "M" asked and I merely confirmed.
Well, she said "this is" not "is this", but no worries.

What do you guys think it is about Arthurian legends that make them so timeless? I mean 1500 years after the events took place and we're still talking about them!
Quote: