Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-23-2004, 12:06 AM   #41
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*scowls* Does this mean I can't threaten him with castration if he doesn't read Dune? *pleading look*

Old 05-23-2004, 06:28 AM   #42
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

No.

But if you must, save that until he is properly hooked and addicted to the Entmoot.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:38 AM   #43
Ossë
Sapling

I have actually read the dune books. Very masterful they are too. So today at least i can relax knowing my nads are safe and sound

p.s. made new account, didn't like kaleb500 as name

Last edited by Ossë : 05-23-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Ossë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:44 PM   #44
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Ossë
I have actually read the dune books. Very masterful they are too. So today at least i can relax knowing my nads are safe and sound

p.s. made new account, didn't like kaleb500 as name
She still may come after your pants on occasion, so be alert!

Welcome to the 'Moot.

I think that while the movies were okay they took some of the mystery out of the experience of reading the book. The landscape was literally one of the characters in the book. The Sil could be a good set of films but it would be most interesting if each one was done by different directors, writers, and actors. The lack of detail would give a free hand to interpretation (yikes!) but that is preferable to butchering out "unfilmy" parts for the sake of action. I would if Quentin Tarrentino would do one?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:43 PM   #45
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I don't think the Sil would work as a movie; the scope is too broad. If anything, it'd be 10 movies. The Hobbit will work, though. Rumor has it PJ will make it after King Kong.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #46
Caranthir
Sapling

If The Silmarillion was made into a movie I would definetly go and watch it. Sadly though, I doubt it ever will. As has been stated (I think) it isn't a straight forward story, it jumps to different places suddenly. A lot of the Chapters are "of" chapters, too. By this I mean chapters that just talk about something that's different from what it was before. If it was possible to arrange it though and it kept true to the story and didn't have any unTolkien materials (aka changes) I would support it whole-heartedly. The actors and actresses would HAVE to be the best, though. I once saw a list of suggested cast members from someone (they know who they are) it wasn't bad. I forgot who was on it though.
Caranthir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #47
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Yeah, that would be me LOL! Welcome Caranthir, about time you posted!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:03 AM   #48
mewhmag
Sapling

i have mixed feelings about Silmarillion movies...

one the one hand, it would be great to see an interpretation of the old legends, tales and myths come to the screen, but on the other, which to choose? the Silmarillion is already a compendium. a lot would have to be left out, too much to preserve the original magic of the books (also the earlier versions of the tales).

i could imagine to choose the tale of Beren and Lúthien, and the Narn i Hin Hurin. those would cover a wide range of events, but still not enough of course...
mewhmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:43 AM   #49
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

no one should make the silmarillion, it is too vast a story to even attempt, and it would tarnish the stories for so many of us who have read, and visualized them.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:42 PM   #50
Lenya
Elentári

I am 100% against a Silmarillion movie. It is impossible to work all of the magic of a book into a movie - I prove my point with the LotR movie. There is no way that a Silmarillion movie can be made better than that one, and that one was not good enough to be called the LotR. No, the Silmarillion is simply to good to be spoiled by a stupid movie.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #51
Manveru
Elven Warrior

Strider

I think a movie of 'The Silmarillion' would never work because of the obvious reasons stated above. But someone could make a bunch of movies based on certain stories, starting with the most popular and the ones most mentioned in lotr. They could probably do Beren and Luithien, Turin Turambar, Of Maeglin, Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin, etc. Like 6 movies based around the majors stories, and then have a huge special extended edition boxed set that has all of them and links them all together with short prologue type thingys.
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 PM   #52
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Something like a series of movies could work, theoretically, at least, but who would have the patience to do it, and do it correctly? I have to agree with Lenya and most of the other people who have posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
I am 100% against a Silmarillion movie. It is impossible to work all of the magic of a book into a movie - I prove my point with the LotR movie. There is no way that a Silmarillion movie can be made better than that one, and that one was not good enough to be called the LotR. No, the Silmarillion is simply to good to be spoiled by a stupid movie.
I know how a lot of LotR purists felt about the movies, on many points I agree with them. Whether it would be made into one or a series of movies, the Silmarillion is probably still too large a project to do justice to. I know I would not want to watch it.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #53
Ælfwine
Hobbit

I don't see how anyone could make a movie of The Silmarillion.
First of all, consider the lack of dialogue. How could one make a movie of that book and stay true to it?
I understand that a number of the members that have posted here are of the opinion that PJ did a great job. Well, I totally disagree. PJ made so many adaptions, that the films are closing on disrespect for Tolkien's works

And can someone tell me how they would picture the Ainulindalë on the Silver Screen? Not to mention the soundtrack.

I hope that The Tolkien Estate manages to sit on the rights until after movies is as obsolete as the Teutonic Knight...
Old 12-07-2004, 12:54 AM   #54
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ælfwine
I don't see how anyone could make a movie of The Silmarillion.
And can someone tell me how they would picture the Ainulindalë on the Silver Screen? Not to mention the soundtrack.
Hehe... you could buy the soundtrack and listen to the creation of the universe any time you like!

I agree that a Silmarillion project would be impossible. You'd either have to select a single story (which would be really difficult, because of all the backstory), or make a maddeningly long BBC-esque televised production, which would have a limited budget and never be able to handle the amount of special effects, crazy costuming, and massive scenery necessary.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:18 AM   #55
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I would be horribly dissapointed by any film of the Simarillion, and especially because no one could ever come close to the right kind of music. That music only exists in my imagination, and I really like it that way.
However, if there was a film, or films, made, I would have to satisfy my morbid curiosity by watching them, and tearing them to peices verbally.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:49 PM   #56
Lenya
Elentári

That's probably what I will do also
Still, even if they decide (highly unlikely) to make a series of movies, I do not think it will come close to the splendour of the book. A good example of this is the music, but also Luthien. No actress will match up to her.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #57
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

It would be impossible to make the films.
A series would be better but it would still never live up to expectations.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #58
Finnrodde

If they are going to make a movie from the Silmarillian, they can't do the entire thing, as it would be too long and confusing? It would be a fourty hour movie, and aside from Tolkien fanatics who would want to see that? My solution would be to take one section from the Silmarillian and put it to the screen. My pick???

On the Rings of Power and the Third Age
Old 12-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #59
Lenya
Elentári

Fortunately Silmarillion is one of the treasures of Tolkien works that non-Tolkien fans don't seem to know about. That will make the chances a bit smaller that someone will do such a stupid thing as try to make a movie.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:38 PM   #60
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnrodde
If they are going to make a movie from the Silmarillian, they can't do the entire thing, as it would be too long and confusing? It would be a fourty hour movie, and aside from Tolkien fanatics who would want to see that? My solution would be to take one section from the Silmarillian and put it to the screen. My pick???

On the Rings of Power and the Third Age
Tolkien fanatics would definately not want to see it either.