Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2003, 11:01 PM   #41
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
The only way I can see LotR's being improved is if it was longer.
But which part of the story would you like fattened up, I wonder?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:01 AM   #42
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Nazgul

I sure hope it's not the overly long descriptions of where the rivers began to flow, or other compass heavy topographical descriptions!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 AM   #43
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
But which part of the story would you like fattened up, I wonder?
Anything and everything, from conversations to descriptions of the land, the more detail the better, IMO.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 02:16 AM   #44
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well, I don't know about that. I certainly wouldn't want LOTR to be full of lengthy passages on how elven dresses are laced together, with an overly self-conscious Arwen having a four-page inner monologue on the subject of her neckline... like some writers tend to do (cough Robert Jordan cough).

But in all seriousness, I think the reason why I have never thought any of Tolkien's imitators matched up to him - well one of them, anyway - is that Tolkien knew when to quit, and his imitators often don't.

I understand your desire to know more about Tolkien's vision of Middle-Earth but I think he was right to put the extraneous material in the Appendices (and to another extent, in what was later published as The Silmarillion).
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 06:37 PM   #45
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I agree with IronParrot. Tolkien gives enough explainations in his writing. If you want more details, read the appendices. They give a lot of information that couldn't be bothered being put in the main book.