Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2003, 12:26 AM   #41
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Ach, my setting is fantasy, and thus I try to keep a certain theme within the names among certain groups of people.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #42
Kalile
The Potato sack... er elf

Location: Sailing between the stars is a white ship with silken sails...
Well, back to writerus blockirus.

I finally got going on a story that I really think I can finish, and I lost my notebook at school... Waaaah!!!! Still looking, and thank you to this forum and thread. I really do think I can finish it now.
To run where the brave dare not go
To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star
Kalile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:02 PM   #43
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
*sob* My story I’ve been working on for a year (40 pages) and it's been going so well! I want to write it, there a part i really want to get to and I know once I do I'll have no trouble writing at all. I plane out my story before I write it and I’m between two major parts and i can't think of anything to put in between!

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:34 PM   #44
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I haven't worked on my novel in three weeks. This, my friends, is what video game addiction does to you.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #45
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

That's not suffering from Writerus Blockitis, that's a serious case of Videogamitis. But I know from experience that's just as bad.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:40 PM   #46
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Re: Do you suffer from Writerus Blockitis?

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
After several attempts and rewrites over the past three years, my full-length novel is still on the fourteenth page.

Anyone else having a similar problem? Of course. Now fess up.
You bet I do. I ... oh darn it. What should I write? lets see... lets see...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #47
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalile
c.Find a cool name in a book and use it, or change a few letters
This is a good idea. I bought a "baby names" book to reference when needing to come up with a suitably descriptive name for a particular character. Every name means something, contrary to what Butch says in Pulp Fiction... ('I'm an American, our names don't mean sh**') Even if a name doesn't mean something per sey, it can SOUND like what your character's key distinguishing characteristics are. For instance, in my RPG, a fellow mooter came up with the brilliant name of Saphtan to give to a guy, and his name really says so much. It sounds like who he is.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:05 PM   #48
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Ooo, writer's block. I think that this hits people hard mainly because of their writing style. Lief of Ninquolete, if someone had a writing style similar to yours (close attention to detail, compulsion to make each scene complete before moving on) except less structured, they make it harder on themselves. Whereas styles like Joseph Conrad's in Heart of Darkness, in which the speaker actually says he's not trying to tell each and every event of his story but just to convey the feelings that each conveyed to him, and therefore reads like a dream, just flow right out of the writer's mind. Of course that sort of style isn't appropriate for all stories, but it is certainly easier to contuniously write.

Also, if you're like me, you find prewriting and plot outlines and such too frustrating to be worthwhile. Often, if I'm outlining the story, I'll get so carried away with a specific detail of it that I'll write about 50 lines on it under just one bullet point, and then if I try to add all that actually into the story, it doesn't flow smoothly. IOW, I always wind up wasting my time. I think that actually discussing your idea for a plot with someone beforehand is immeasurably better. The only hard part there is finding someone who would appreciate your idea and really be able to help you with it, but once the two of you start talking, ideas just lead to new ideas, including motifs, themes, character dynamics, relationships, twists, ect. And you sort through your plot "in realtime" so to speak, and it's fun to boot, carrying on with a person like that.

EDIT: Lotesse, I think about that sometimes. What my name says about me is that I've killed or cheated my way to the crown. (That's my first and last name together.) That's a cool enough title to mention, but it's ridiculous how much it doesn't suit me.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 12-14-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:22 PM   #49
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Badly. I learned long ago that I'm not a creative writer, as much as I would like to be. The only thing I can write is parodies, or essays. Or limericks expressing my frustration with the same:

So many ideas I've got!
I've often constructed a plot,
But as soon as I write,
Then it's gone, out of sight!
I can't write as fast as I thought.

Double meaning on "thought" there. I have written a bit of fanfiction, but it has to be short. I just don't have the patience to map out detailed plots and mix dialogue with description.

Hey, IronParrot is in this thread. Where did he go?

Segovia Mazes

Last edited by Elanor : 12-14-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #50
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Hey, good limerick though! Really.

I think IP is still lurking around here sometimes, but most of his posts are movie reviews in the entertainment forum now.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #51
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

To get unstuck, you might want to consider throwing in a dilemma of minor to grand scale. Possibly tie it into the plot...

Or, if you're getting hung up on a scene, write its conclusion as is, and go on. You can edit later.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #52
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Name dictionaries are good investments. I recommend getting one that gives lots of lingual and cultural variations of names. For example, I liked the meaning of the name Alvin, but due to chipmunck associations there was no way I was going to stick my male lead with that name. The old english spelling though is Alwyn, which sounds and looks much better and fits the character perfectly.
If you don't feel like buying one there are plenty of free name dictionaries online, and they often have a bunch of obscure and interesting names that you wouldn't find elsewhere, as well as the old standards.

Now, I haven't got writerus blockitis. But I am currently suffering from writerus slothitis. I've got plenty of stuff to write, I just need to get my lazy fingers in gear and click on Word instead of Internet explorer.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #53
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
I just can't think of names, for people or places. Why can't i think of original names?
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #54
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

I know what you mean, I make up name from all over, tolkien's elvish names, greek names roman names, latin, spanish, my storys are kind of a melting pot of languages and culture, but hey thats what fanasy is for I think
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #55
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Name dictionaries are good investments. I recommend getting one that gives lots of lingual and cultural variations of names. For example, I liked the meaning of the name Alvin, but due to chipmunck associations there was no way I was going to stick my male lead with that name. The old english spelling though is Alwyn, which sounds and looks much better and fits the character perfectly.
If you don't feel like buying one there are plenty of free name dictionaries online, and they often have a bunch of obscure and interesting names that you wouldn't find elsewhere, as well as the old standards.

Now, I haven't got writerus blockitis. But I am currently suffering from writerus slothitis. I've got plenty of stuff to write, I just need to get my lazy fingers in gear and click on Word instead of Internet explorer.
Haha, Alvin brings many chipmunk images to my ming.

Now, I stay away from names like Alawyn, Trywynn etcc...I'm just not good at matching names like that with the characters I write. In my Big Story, I use a lot of typicla french names, and german.

Hmmm....I'm not sure if I have Writerus Blockitis, or Slothitis...It's pretty bad whatever it is. My Big Story ( "A Tale of Dr. Frankenheimer and co.") is undergoing MAJOR plot revision, pretty much the whole deal in some spots. A lot of work to do on it, besides finishing it as well. Thinking up an ending is really stumping me even though I've made a lot of moves in that direction...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 01-06-2006 at 04:18 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #56
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I don't write fantasy, but I once thought of a foolproof way for picking fantasy names. Really, it's not meant to be taken seriously, but try it anyway and maybe you'll get lucky. Just ombine the name of a musical instument with a geographical formation. That should give you a quick idea, and just play around with it.

estuary + stratovarius = Estarius
For the comic relief character, use words that sound dumb:
dolsimer + plateau = Platimer

At least it's fun, if no real use to you.

I had bad writer's block all this week. I had an essay to write for school, but couldn't get myself to even pick a topic. (I was debating between six from a list of twenty.) Finally I just picked the two that seemed most complimentary and wrote my paper on both of them, in five minutes. I barely thought about it, and was very, very vague. But that's perfect, because it was supposed to be a research paper and now that I've got all my ideas out, I just have to plug in the research. Yay!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #57
hectorberlioz

It's amazing how intelligent your stuff can turn out when you write mindlessly.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 01-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #58
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

I found a small book called "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth" by Ruth S. Noel, and it's really helpful for coming up with names. Just tweak 'em a little so they're not totally from Tolkien's Elvish...and there you go!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #59
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

yeah thats kind of what I do except I just take stuff from the Silmarillion index of names.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #60
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
I found a small book called "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth" by Ruth S. Noel, and it's really helpful for coming up with names. Just tweak 'em a little so they're not totally from Tolkien's Elvish...and there you go!
My sis owns that book, and she' actually learned a bit of elvish. It IS a good name factory

The Da CINDY Code
~