Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2003, 03:41 PM   #41
Ruinel
Banned

"wholly unwilling?" What the heck does that mean? Either you say 'yes' or you say 'no'. After all, it is for life, right? So, she is committing her life to being with Eöl, willingly... or she was wedded against her will. I don't see any grey areas on this one. Since you've got the book and you've read it, help me understand this.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:56 PM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
And when Aredhel, weary with wandering, came at last to his doors, he revealed himself; and he welcomed her, and led her into his house. And there she remained; for Eöl took her to wife, and it was long ere any of her kin heard of her again.

It is not said that Aredhel was wholly unwilling, nor that her life in Nan Elmoth was hateful to her for many years. For though at Eöl's command she must shun the sunlight, they wandered far together under the stars or by the light of the sickle moon; or she might fare alone as she would, save that Eöl forbade her to seek the sons of Fëanor, or any others of the Noldor. And Aredhel bore to Eöl a son in the shadows of Nan Elmoth, and in her heart she gave him a name in the forbidden tongue of the Noldor, Lómion, that signifies Child of the Twilight; but his father gave him no name until he was twelve years old. Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:25 PM   #43
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think Aredhel fell into the "at the least" category of this quote from Morgoth's Ring:
Quote:
The Eldar wedded once only in life, and for love or at the least by free will upon either part.
I think she just thought that she couldn't stand to be shut up in Gondolin again, and this Eol guy was kind of interesting and different, and there was a bit of "I'll show my brother he can't always tell me what to do!" mixed in there, too. So instead of a definite love match, like Tuor and Idril, there was a "oh, the heck with it!" match - willling, but yet not quite fully wanting...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:54 PM   #44
Ruinel
Banned

Now that I read SGH's quote from the book, I recall the passage. But it had been a while since I had read it. Thank you.

hmmm... she must have been terribly bored with being cooped up to be married when she did not love him. Then I suppose it's her own fault. She shouldn't have ageed to it at all if she didn't want to be with him for life.

I recall that she leaves him with her son. But I do not recall why. I supposed she became bored with him, as she was bored with Gondolin. Fickled.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:16 PM   #45
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel

They're both scum, until I read otherwise.
Sing it, sister!