Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2003, 12:58 PM   #41
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
So Danny Gatton comitted suicide! Tell me more? That is sad.
Yeah it was an enormous loss. Just really big. Up there with Stevie Ray in terms of amazing talent lost. All the great guitarists called him "The Worlds Greatest Unkown Guitarist" and for good reason. He killed himself in 1994 after a fight with his wife or someone. He just stormed out to his garage and shot himself. And that was it. If he had had time to think about it he probably would never have done it. But he probably suffered from depression. He was never diagnosed though.

By the way did anyone name Les Paul, Joe Pass, Scotty Moore, Charlie Byrd, Roy Buchanan?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:00 PM   #42
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yowzaa! Scotty Moore!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:08 PM   #43
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Hmm it can be argued that Metal and the neo-classical shred genres aren't the most technically skilled genres, Jazz guitarists seem a lot more technically skilled with stuff like chord solos. Metal certainly isn't the most theoritically challenging, most songs are simple chord vamps.

I personally don't care how about complex something is, though it doesn't make me want to appreciate it very much though.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:51 PM   #44
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I agree that some of the guitarists on here are just people's favourites and are not that great (personally I don't think Eric Clapton is that great), but a lot of the guitarists became people's favourites BECAUSE they are great. No one can deny that some popular guitarists ARE great (i.e. Jimmy Paige, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray).
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:43 PM   #45
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by FoolofaTook
I agree that some of the guitarists on here are just people's favourites and are not that great (personally I don't think Eric Clapton is that great), but a lot of the guitarists became people's favourites BECAUSE they are great. No one can deny that some popular guitarists ARE great (i.e. Jimmy Paige, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray).
you dont think eric clapton is a good guitarist? all i have to do is put in Disraeli Gears to see just how talented he is. nevermind how brilliant he has gotten with playing the blues. very subtle and very rich. and remember he was considered one of the best studio musicians in england in the mid 60's. Along with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Paige. I cant see how you could say he wasnt a great guitarist.

*humming Layla*

*now huming crossroads*

Old 04-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #46
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Lizra rocks. She likes AC/DC.

Angus Young is gifted and talented. Did you ever see how he plays his guitar. That's impossible.

And Buckethead really is a great, talented, inhumanly gifted guitarist too. Obviously I don't study him (didn't even know his name) but he makes it talk for Christ's sake.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:31 AM   #47
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Hmm it can be argued that Metal and the neo-classical shred genres aren't the most technically skilled genres, Jazz guitarists seem a lot more technically skilled with stuff like chord solos. Metal certainly isn't the most theoritically challenging, most songs are simple chord vamps.

I personally don't care how about complex something is, though it doesn't make me want to appreciate it very much though.

It depends on the vein of the music. Cock rock and hair spray bands are definitely simple chord construction.

However, for example, early Dream Theater with John Petrucci is not.

Many of the Neo-Classicist are classically trained and theoritcally laden.
So, I will have to agree with you to point, but utterly disagree otherwise.

Who are some Jazz musicians that you would name?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 04-16-2003 at 07:55 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:35 AM   #48
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Hey I resent being told that my musical taste is akin to Keanu worshipping from someone who listed Scorpian!
There are a lot of Keanu bands that I like.

Quote:
ok "Boogie Man" you can stop laughing
The first concert I saw was the Jackson 5 ( When Michael was Black) and the opening group was K.C. and The Sunshine Band.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 04-16-2003, 08:36 AM   #49
Millane
The Dude

oooh AC/DC and Daniel Day-Lewis Afro elf you are a champ
ummm as for best guitarists i am going to put down the ones that arent just fancy guitar crap (thats all flea from RHCP is) but good music... my fav 3 would be
John 5 and whoever was the guitarist before him...
Angus from AC/DC
Eric Clapton
ahhhh stuff it ill say Bob Marley aswell coz his subtle guitar work is music to my ears.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:01 PM   #50
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
ummm as for best guitarists i am going to put down the ones that arent just fancy guitar crap (thats all flea from RHCP is)
flea is a bassist. and a rather talented one. he just likes to do strange things like play in a jock strap.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:09 PM   #51
Comic Book Guy

Well, Jazz guitar isn't my cup of tea really, I've tried listening to Pat Metheny, Grant Green etc but I just don't get it, so I can't really help you there. However, this link may help you anyway.

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa040500a.htm

Quote:
ummm as for best guitarists i am going to put down the ones that arent just fancy guitar crap (thats all flea from RHCP is)
Eh, Flea plays bass.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #52
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yeah....lead bass.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:56 PM   #53
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

CBC

Thanks for the link.

'Dern Helm"

Old 04-17-2003, 07:05 PM   #54
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I cant see how you could say he wasnt a great guitarist.
I'm not saying that Eric Clapton wasn't good. I'm just saying he wasn't great. I don't want to get into an arguement. I just think he's overrated.

Quote:
Flea is a bassist, and he's amazing!
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:11 AM   #55
Millane
The Dude

nah thats crap (not the bassist stuff) there is a lot of difference between being able to beat out something on an instrument and being able to make good music... thats why i said John 5 coz his music is not all that difficult but its awesome as...
IR playing in a jock strap doesnt make for good music either
Old 04-18-2003, 03:33 PM   #56
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
IR playing in a jock strap doesnt make for good music either
well who cares what he wears on stage. it has nothing to do with his ability. and hes a very talented bassist. no doubt about that. he can lay down some jazz base lines that would blow your average rock bassist away.

Old 04-18-2003, 04:14 PM   #57
Comic Book Guy

Not to mention the crazy slap-bass solos! And anyway, whats with the clothes jibe man, you listed Angus Young.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:00 AM   #58
Anglorfin
Alasailon

In response to the discussions about jazz, I have to say that I respect any type of guitar ability. I just always seem to leave out jazz because personally I don't listen to it that much however I agree that a lot of good jazz has amazing guitarwork and songwriting.

But whoever said that metal is just a bunch of chord vamps is wrong. Maybe "nu-metal" stuff like Korn or wutever is, who's musical talent is absolutely dwarfed by any real metal band. A lot of the stuff that afro-elf listed is very very technical. Also in the case of death metal although it might not be as technical it can be argued that you have to at least appreciate the guitarist's stamina . . .

Anyway, theory is based on chords, which is based on scales so no matter what it is going to fit together. Metal typically favors a few scales over others just as jazz typically favors a few scales. Nothing is more or less technical about it.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."

Last edited by Anglorfin : 04-19-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #59
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

These are guys that I think are some of the best:

Jimmy Page
Yngwie J Malmsteen (I think he gets less recognition than he deserves)
Randy Rhoads
Paul Gilbert
Marty Friedman
Joe Satriani
Kirk Hammet
Steve Vai
Edward Van Halen

other guitarists that I like and are talented:

Eric Clapton
Dave Gilmour
Carlos Santana
Mark Knopfler
Neil Young
Joe Stump
Syd Barret
Angus Young
Buckethead
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:15 AM   #60
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Oh and I forgot to add that Jazz bassists really impress me as well. Flea is OK but he's no Victor Wooten or Bootsy Collins. Les Claypool is probably my favorite bassist though, he's just got that image . . .

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote