Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2002, 10:10 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Eissmann is extreamly good with fine detail. I have never seen anyone that makes blood look so real. I have spoke to her about her works of Finrod.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:09 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

I'm still working with my stuff, BUT, I've just sent my check for a book I got on eBay that is all about Tolkien's own illustrations. I can't wait to get it, there are supposed to be LOTS of pix! I really like Tolkiens illustrations cause they are "of the era", and have that beautiful 20's, 30's deco-ish style..While the modern art work is quite beautiful, most of it is too slick and realistic for my taste. I like Tolkiens block print looking stuff. I can't wait to get my book!
Old 10-26-2002, 10:11 PM   #3
Dealin
Sapling

I like John Howe's the best, especially the rainy ones. The one with Gandalf running through the green pasture in the rain, the two figures going down to Rivedell in the rain, and the Grey Havens in the rain.
Dealin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 06:22 AM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Elfhelm, thanks for the link to Anke Katrin Eissmann's paintings, I hadn't heard of her before. She's really good. Her strong point is imo to express the relations between the persons in her pictures, and to capture the feeling of the moment.

Lizra, can you tell me the title of the book you've bought please? Also, you must let us see your work when they're finished. I envy you, like I envy all people with artistic abilities.

I don't have a favourite artist, it's more that I favour single pictures from different artists. Ted Nasmith made a wonderful picture of the Fellowship leaving Lorien (from which my new avatar is taken from). John Howe made a good one of Tuor slaying Glaurung. Alan Lee is a good artist, but his pictures are too bleak to my taste, I prefer stronger colours.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:34 PM   #5
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Artanis, that's my thought exactly about Alan Lee, but I couldn't think of the right word. Bleakness is the feeling I get from his pictures.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:38 PM   #6
Artanis

Well I'm glad you agree
Old 10-31-2002, 07:52 AM   #7
Artanis

In another thread R*an asked for a link, I give one here: TheOneRing fansite contains lots of great pictures. This is a good place to start exploring Middle-Earth related art.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:39 AM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Treebeard

My new book is titled "J.R.R. Tolkien, Artist and Illustrator", by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull. There is another book titled "Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien". My book has early art and preliminary and alternative versions of pictures. The Pictures book focuses more on the published works. (must get that next!) In my book, in the chapter on LoTR, there are pix of Barad-dur, Old Man Willow, several of Moria gate, Lothlorien in spring, Orthanc, Dunharrow, and very nice dust-jacket designs for the three books. Lots of sketches too. I'll see what my husband has time to do with the scanner here.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:44 AM   #9
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Nasmith
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:46 AM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Also Rian and others, Rolozo Tolkien is probably one of the best galleries I have seen on the web. They have a very extensive collection of Tolkien art. Sorry, I don't have a link, but try and check it out.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 01:12 PM   #11
Artanis

Link to Tolkien's own pics in Rolozo Tolkien. There are links to other artists on the right of the page.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:32 PM   #12
Getchan
Hobbit

Nazgul

I love John Howe. Fingolfin vs Morgoth and Eowyn vs the Witch King are my faves. Lee and Nasmith are great too. Anke Eissmann's Death of Finrod and Beleg's death scene are very beautiful. Those four do it for me. The Bros. H. ,though, I don't care for- too cartoony for my taste.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #13
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

It may be interesting to know that Pauline Baynes was Tolkien's favourite. He mentioned several times in various letters that he felt she really captured Middle Earth. I have always found this intersting as it provides a little insight in to what J.R.R. was imagining. Her work is also different than the tone of Jackson's film, and the tone of many modern artists.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:51 PM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

Hello Squinteyedsoutherner! Welcome to Entmoot. I tried to look at some of her Tolkien illustrations but will need to spend more time. I've probably seen some cause I used to have the 1973 calendar. I noticed her pix are in this, but I can't find them yet.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:46 PM   #15
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Anke Eissman is definitely my favorite Tolkien artist. I have been a fan of her work since before I liked the books. I don't really see her versions of Eowyn or Frodo, but her Faramir is definitely what I see when I read the book.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:20 AM   #16
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Baynes did the cover for The Tolkien Reader (Ballantine edition) which is a picture of Bombadil, and I believe the illustrations throughout are hers as well. I think she did a lot of work on the Narnia books as well.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squinteyedsoutherner View Post
It may be interesting to know that Pauline Baynes was Tolkien's favourite. He mentioned several times in various letters that he felt she really captured Middle Earth. I have always found this intersting as it provides a little insight in to what J.R.R. was imagining. Her work is also different than the tone of Jackson's film, and the tone of many modern artists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squinteyedsoutherner View Post
Baynes did the cover for The Tolkien Reader (Ballantine edition) which is a picture of Bombadil, and I believe the illustrations throughout are hers as well. I think she did a lot of work on the Narnia books as well.
Sadly, Pauline Baynes died last Friday, August 1, aged 85.

Brian Sibley writes about her in his blog: http://briansibleysblog.blogspot.com...ia-middle.html

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:56 AM   #18
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post

Brian Sibley writes about her in his blog: http://briansibleysblog.blogspot.com...ia-middle.html
She was a great lady, I've always loved her illustrations of Narnia in particular.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!

Last edited by tolkienfan : 08-08-2008 at 02:57 AM.
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
And that's four years ago, 2008 ...

Anyway, I've finally found on the Internet an artist that I met many years ago. He had an exhibition at the Barbican Centre in London. His site says that he had an exhibition there in 1984. I thought I saw it earlier than that, so perhaps he had a smaller one earlier? I'm fairly sure I didn't go to London in 1984.

His name is Paul Raymond Gregory - his Tolkien site is at http://www.paulraymondgregory.com/, and some of his works can also be found at The Leicester Galleries.

His most fascinating work (in my opinion) is a painting which consists of 61 smaller pictures, one for each chapter of LotR. I saw it at the Barbican.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 10-14-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Impressive. He has some really nice work on his site. I don't think I had seen any of his work yet so that for bringing in the spotlight.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote