Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2003, 10:58 PM   #41
azalea
Long lost mooter

Certainly. But I do have a request -- could someone let me know which HoME books have info pertaining to that ch. so that I may better prepare? (Of the Return of the Noldor -- I realize that there might be more throughout the series than can be easily listed in terms of related content, but perhaps just certain main passages -- I'd like to go ahead and read them as I work on the intro if possible. Anything would be helpful to me. Thanks!)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:26 PM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Certainly. But I do have a request -- could someone let me know which HoME books have info pertaining to that ch. so that I may better prepare? (Of the Return of the Noldor -- I realize that there might be more throughout the series than can be easily listed in terms of related content, but perhaps just certain main passages -- I'd like to go ahead and read them as I work on the intro if possible. Anything would be helpful to me. Thanks!)
The expert in that area, that could be of great help to you, would be Maedhros. I suggest dropping him a PM or email.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 02:46 PM   #43
Maedhros
The Tall

I can post the references in this thread so that you would know them.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:09 PM   #44
Maedhros
The Tall

Chapter 13

The books that you can use are:
Book of Lost Tales I: The Flight of the Noldoli.
The Shaping of Middle-Earth: Sketch, The Earliest Annals of Beleriand and the Quenta.
The Lost Road and Other Writtings: Quenta Silmarillion, Later Annals of Beleriand.
Post the other later.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #45
azalea
Long lost mooter

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:16 AM   #46
Maedhros
The Tall

You know something SGH, I think that I will take you on the chapter of Beren and Lúthien. I think that they are several things that I have overlooked in that story and doing the Intro will help me in that.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:01 AM   #47
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
You know something SGH, I think that I will take you on the chapter of Beren and Lúthien. I think that they are several things that I have overlooked in that story and doing the Intro will help me in that.
Very good Maedhros. I know you will do a good job. I'll put your name to the chapter in the assignments thread.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-08-2003, 03:03 PM   #48
Sween
im quite stupid

can i do a chapter
Old 09-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #49
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I'm still going to do Chapter 15.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:11 PM   #50
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
can i do a chapter
Since they're all assigned at this point, I guess you'll have to wait and see if someone doesn't show up for theirs and volunteer to take it then.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #51
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Since they're all assigned at this point, I guess you'll have to wait and see if someone doesn't show up for theirs and volunteer to take it then.
Well, I might consider letting him have my other chapter. I have it about half finished, but not sure when I get to it again. God, I hate myself. I feel like I am letting the project down, and considering how complicated it is and long, it has done very well, no thanks to me.

This smiley is directed at me.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-10-2003, 05:46 AM   #52
Durin1
Elven Warrior

SGH

I have been reading the post for chapter assignments with interest for some time now. I understand that assignments have already been handed out but I wouldn't mind contributing as researching Tolkien has always been a casual side-line hobby of mine.

However (here I may be sounding a bit dim), I'm not exactly sure of what is required.

I'd be pleased to lend a hand, if needed, upon further clarification.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #53
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Durin1
SGH

I have been reading the post for chapter assignments with interest for some time now. I understand that assignments have already been handed out but I wouldn't mind contributing as researching Tolkien has always been a casual side-line hobby of mine.

However (here I may be sounding a bit dim), I'm not exactly sure of what is required.

I'd be pleased to lend a hand, if needed, upon further clarification.
When you take a chapter assignment, you research that chapter. You post a brief summary of the chapter. You list any other books that contain information about the events or people in the chapter, such as info from any of the Histories of Middle-earth. You don't have to post the info from the HoMe, but just list the books that it can be found in. Maps and pics are nice too. Some have posted links to galleries. It isn't required to list all the additional readings, maps, or pics but it's nice if you can do it. We realize that not everyone has access to the HoMe series.Then you raise your discussion points for the chapter, and then, the discussion begins.

That's pretty much it.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-03-2003, 11:50 AM   #54
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, it looks as though we need to re-assign chapter 14. If anyone is interested in doing this chapter, please post asap. We are one day behind right now. If anyone would like to do it, you can have a couple of days to do your research and post your intro.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-06-2003, 03:23 AM   #55
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, it looks as though we need to re-assign chapter 14. If anyone is interested in doing this chapter, please post asap. We are one day behind right now. If anyone would like to do it, you can have a couple of days to do your research and post your intro.
I wouldn't mind having a go SGH
Old 10-07-2003, 01:38 AM   #56
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Durin1
I wouldn't mind having a go SGH
It's all yours. Thanks for helping.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-03-2003, 01:15 AM   #57
Maedhros
The Tall

I have posted the intro of Chapter 14: Of Beleriand and its Realms.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:30 AM   #58
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Thanks Maedhros.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-13-2003, 01:38 AM   #59
Ilúvatar
Hobbit

Gandalf

Chapter 17 - "Of the Coming of Men into the West" is now posted.
Ilúvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:35 AM   #60
Maedhros
The Tall

I'm almost done with the intro into chapter 19 Of Beren and Lúthien. Please bear with me a day or so before I post it.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.