Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2002, 08:13 PM   #41
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Mithrea
I am Wiccan.
I am also a wiccan. Maybe that's not totally accurate, but its about as close as I get to religious. But I'm also free to believe in Eru and the Ainur

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:35 PM   #42
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I'm a Catholic Christian, white male. Though I can trace my geneology back to England and Germany, I like to call myself African American, mainly because the program "The First Eve" (silly name as the program really had very little to do with that) on the Discovery Channel convinced me of humanity's origens in Africa.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:14 PM   #43
Millane
The Dude

to answer your question elven archer yeah i do go to a private school but it isnt a really religious one it is more an independantr school that says they beleive in the Christian ethics and morals, yet they still ram it down our throat, and its not really that that annoys me, it is more that at the age of 16 17 and 18 you should be old enough to make the decision for yourself... our school knows that religion isnt a popular thing (i dont think it is as big in Aust. as it is in most other parts of the world) with the students so in year 10 last year they forced everyone to do Religious Education and i wouldnt have been able to bear it if we werent so lucky to have an awesome teacher who thought we should study lots of religions and there ethics instead of christianity and that made it ok
btw whats a Wiccan im obviously not up with all this religion lingo
Old 12-30-2002, 11:19 PM   #44
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I'm a white Jew. My family's Eastern European. Think Poland and Romania. Jewish immigrant genealogy gets complicated.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:05 AM   #45
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I'm a Baptist. I'm also a white male, whose family has lived in Alabama for the past 160 years or so. They're originally from South Carolina and I had one ancestor who fought in the South Carolina Militia during the American Revolution. Beyond that, I think his father or grandfather came from Ireland. On the other side of the family, a long way back we came from London.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:33 AM   #46
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Millane to answer your question (and please please correct me if I am not using the right wording here!) Wiccan is best described as a Pagan religion (right?) I used to have a few sites about it...dunno where they went tho! I'll try to find some later since I have nothing better to do.

I was baptised Roman Catholic, but since my parents divorced, and my dads parents divorced, and my mom who I live with is Baptist, I'm not going to see the inside of a Catholic church any time soon! So right now I'm religionless

My family originated in Ireland primarily. If anyone has a few Fox, Carrol, Carroll, Holland, or Hortons in their families please let me know! Especially if you live in England, Ireland, Scotland, or in the Ellis Island area

But the rest of my family is Cherokee Indian.

The closest thing to royalty in my family is one of my male relatives a while back was the longest standing Cherokee Chief.

Yeah so, I am reallllly bored lol
Old 12-31-2002, 11:15 AM   #47
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Hey my mom's family is Fox. But I sense it's an anglisized version of a very unpronouncable Yiddish name.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:00 PM   #48
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
What religeon are you? What Race are you? where did your family originate?
Buddhist (somewhere between Theravada and Mahayana). Human. Am adopted so I'll say everywhere.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:44 PM   #49
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Re: What religeon are you?

Quote:
Originally posted by zavron
What religeon are you? What Race are you? where did you family originate?
I have no religion, unless you count agnostic, which I don't. I'm a caucasian female from Australia. I agree with Millane that religion isn't as popular here (so it seems) than in other countries. My family originated from many countries. England from my mothers side. The Ukraine, Poland and Germany on my fathers side.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:51 AM   #50
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
...religion isn't as popular here (so it seems) than in other countries.
Perhaps some more than others? My impression, feeble as it is, has been that Australia has one of the largest and most devout groups of Vietnamese Buddhists in the world, outside of Vietnam.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 09:58 AM   #51
Millane
The Dude

yeah thats probly right but that still wouldnt equate to many would it... and it think that would be mainly the Vietnamese migrants we have lots of different communities and hence have a load of different religions but they still arent that big i still think we have a huge number of people that arent religious..
Old 01-01-2003, 05:38 PM   #52
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My family aren't into religeon at all.
L@ur@y Elven Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:37 PM   #53
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
Buddhist (somewhere between Theravada and Mahayana). Human. Am adopted so I'll say everywhere.
True Christianity can make people unpopular in most countries, particularly in public schools.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:41 PM   #54
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I'm a Christian (Presbyterian) and happy that I am! I love going to church, I like the sermans and sunday school!

Smile, Jesus Loves you!

I'm American, I'm not sher where I come from though, and my mommys not home, so I can't ask her!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!

Last edited by samwiselvr2008 : 01-01-2003 at 06:42 PM.
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:42 PM   #55
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I never thought that Wicca was a predominant religion, but it seems to be the most common here except Christianity ( ).

Right on, samwiselvr! We have a great pastor where I go to church!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:58 AM   #56
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
All of my mums side are Catholic and all of my dads side are either Methodist or C of E. My dad was a Methodist but converted to Catholocism.

Most of my family originated from Ireland but I live in England.

Raise the Phial of Galadriel and let the Star Glass of Lothlorian cast out the Darkness of Shelob's Lair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurholth!

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The whole hill was crowned with a dazzling light!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DIE MERE MORTALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stop the NUKE Stop the NUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilore writes last will and testament.

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

Realizes He's already dead

Flies up to heaven ( By the power of Red Bull) and lives happily ever after. THE END

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:40 PM   #57
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

I'm a non denominational Christian. I am *takes deep breath* German,Irish ,Native american, English,Swedish,and some sore Irish. I have no idea where ,my family originated from but if any it's most likely one of theose places, If anyone knows where the names "Maxwell" or "todd" came from that would help

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #58
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

Oh and another thing, you spelled "religion" wrong (sorry but I have a thig about that

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #59
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I guess they say you're the same as your parents, neither of my parents are at all religious but my mums mum is, making my mum christian(don't know about catholic or whatever) making me christian.

I don't believe theres a god. I belive it is physically possible to have a god but I do not think that this planet has one.

I believe more in Eru then God.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:49 PM   #60
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Not to be rude or anything, I'm just curious, but why is it that so many of you answered the question "What religion are you?" by saying "my family isn't religious". Don't you think that you can choose what religion you are? By the way, I'm an envangelical Christian, from Western Europe (all over the continent).