Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-2002, 04:34 AM   #41
Elenessiel
Hobbit

Thank you everyone. I am so bloody relieved to know that there are other bastions of sanity out there who actually prefer the story to the scenery (the guys). I can completely relate to anyone who needs to vent about Orlando Bloom's fan clubs. I am a seventeen year old girl, and I get SO tired of trying to talk to my friends about the plot and getting the response "Plot? What plot? I was noticing other things." I am not entirely unmoved by pleasing male appearances, but my heart makes a bigger thump when I look at the gorgeous architecture in Rivendell. (Have you noticed how nicely the waterfalls are integrated into their surroundings? Wow.) There is nothing wrong with admiring the actors. I only wish that physical appearances would get put in perspective by a larger percentage of moviegoers. I am guessing that the postings on this site do not represent a normal cross-section of the population. Thank you people here for taking a serious interest in the movies in their own right, and not as just billion dollar extended showcases for male models.
Elenessiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 04:38 PM   #42
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Quote:
And btw, I'm a girl
oops, Sorry Erawyn. I've done that twice now. When're you gonna learn Sam?

Welcome to the Moot Elenessiel. And have patience with your friends. I have friends who call Frodo "The head hobbit guy" or Legolas" That guy with the bow" so I understand your predicament completely.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:01 PM   #43
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
thats nothing. For some reason my sisters call Gandalf "tenderloin" and I stupidly tried to describe the skitsofrenia scene with Gollum/Smeagol so now Gollum/Smeagol is "feces" like animal doodoo. *sigh*
Old 12-30-2002, 05:22 AM   #44
Morgan
Sapling

Strider Singing Bowstrings

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Most of the Men of the Lord of the Rings movies are awesome. Good actors and overall pretty good looking in their own ways, but the quest in itself and the battle scenes are for me what makes it a great movie. There is nothing like seeing and hearing those bowstrings sing and those arrows flying.
Sister,
Like yourself, my primary motivation for seeing the film was a passion for the book, coupled with a love of historical weaponary and medieval campaigning in general. (You may recollect the merciless Rohan Campaign Elanor Gamgee and I lauched in another forum earlier this year! )
In all honesty, I had no idea that there was going to be so much eye candy in the films. They were merely a bonus.
In retrospect, I would have to say that I am most impressed with the martial aspect of the film. Bob Anderson's sword choreography is second to none. And to think the man is in his seventies! He manages to make the actors look like they really do know their hilt from their quillion.
As for singing bowstrings as you so aptly put it, that is music to my Elf ears.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:27 AM   #45
Andnólëiel
Sapling

I can't say I'm not an Orlando fan, becuase I am. I'm a girl, I'm a teenager, but I don't always talk about him. I've been reading Tolkien's works since I was ten years old - I love LotR and all of Tolkien's other works as well, and I am quite aware that LotR is not just about one elf.
Andnólëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:13 PM   #46
Anadriewen
Enting

I guess i can see y so many girls like Orlando Bloom, but i just don't think he's the hottest actor i've ever seen. I mean, i think the hobbits are the hottest (namely Elijah Wood)
Old 12-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #47
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Andnólëiel
I can't say I'm not an Orlando fan, becuase I am. I'm a girl, I'm a teenager, but I don't always talk about him. I've been reading Tolkien's works since I was ten years old - I love LotR and all of Tolkien's other works as well, and I am quite aware that LotR is not just about one elf.
Well, I wish you success on reading the books. In the Third Age, Elves were few. If you really want Elves, the Silmarillion is the place to go after LotRs.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:04 PM   #48
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Tinuviel Child: Secondly: Those of you who are vehemently protesting the idea that the only reason to watch LotR is for the hot guys, either learn how to correctly use the English language, or take some typing lessons. Either one would greatly enhance your credibility. Lemme dig up bropous's famous rant about those of us that consistently misused Tolkien's fair language...
Has it ever occurred to you that some people might have problems with spelling, might not be terribly academic, or suffer from dyslexia? Heck, they might even be sensitive about it too! I guess these people don't deserve to discuss The Lord of the Rings.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 12-14-2003 at 07:07 PM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:36 PM   #49
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Speaking of Tolkien, didn't he say Legolas was the least important member of the Fellowship?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:31 PM   #50
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I thought Tolkien said Legolas achieved the least of the fellowship.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:47 PM   #51
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I thought Tolkien said Legolas achieved the least of the fellowship.
This is certainly possible. I don't know the exact quote.

I only said that because some Legolas fangirls tend to inflate his role, and inflict endless Mary Sues upon him.

There's nothing wrong with having Legolas as a favourite character, just not at the expense of Tolkien's story.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:56 PM   #52
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

To be perfectly honest, I'm never really into actors, and the only reason I know the names of most of the actors in LotR is that I watched the comentaries.
As for Legolas, he is a great character, and of course he is an Elf, which is my favorite race on Middle Earth, but I do get annoyed by how it seems that most people only notice Legolas, or thier favorite character is always Legolas. He didn't even do all that much, as some of you have said.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:30 PM   #53
Anadriewen
Enting

I agree. Most people only notice Legolas. I mean, I like elves and all, but there are other people in the story other than Legolas! ()
Old 12-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #54
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I'm one of the biggest Orlando fans :P

But i do know that there are other characters and he was my favourite character before Orlando was cast as him, also Aragorn and Arwen are my favourite characters too!!!

It's not our faut that such a hot actor was cast in the role of some people's favourite character :P

I'm not saying your wrong because a lot of people go to see it for Orlando (eg my mates) who havn't read the book before and Elijah too (not so nice), but not me!!!

I love the book's i love the movies, i love pretty much all of the characters!

Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #55
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

OK I am in love with orli. in my opinion he is the hottest guy on this planet. when i first watched the movie i fell in love. not with legolas but with the story of LotR. Legolas has a small role everybody, the movie (and books) have a much wider range than "oh, the elves are so hot" And Legolas is cool and all but Aragorn is totally better in my humble opinion (just thought i'd put that out there)
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #56
ryttu3k
Enting

You know what? Five years ago, there wasn't a single twelve-year-old girl like me who had actually heard of Tolkien or Lord Of The Rings.

Actually, some of them still haven't heard of Tolkien.

Me: "Have you read Lord Of The Rings?"
Teenybopper: "No, I don't like adaptions, I like the real thing. And besides, Orli isn't in the book."

*cue bashing head repeatedly against the wall*
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:24 AM   #57
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Me: "Have you read Lord Of The Rings?"
Teenybopper: "No, I don't like adaptions, I like the real thing. And besides, Orli isn't in the book."

*cue bashing head repeatedly against the wall*
I agree. If any of you read the comic strip Foxtrot, the cartoonist is a lotr fan!! The whole week of Dec 17, he or she had only lotr realated comics. there's this girl and boy in the family. the girl is orli obsesed the boy is movie obsesed. I had fun reading those even though they were stupid
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:54 AM   #58
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
I agree. If any of you read the comic strip Foxtrot, the cartoonist is a lotr fan!! The whole week of Dec 17, he or she had only lotr realated comics. there's this girl and boy in the family. the girl is orli obsesed the boy is movie obsesed. I had fun reading those even though they were stupid
In one of the comics the girl asks her brother if Tolkien mentions Orlando Bloom a lot in the books. Seems a little exagerated, most people know that he's the actor, but it was funny. I could understand why her brother asked another fan to shoot him with his Uruk-hai arrows though...Orlando Bloom in the book!!

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:41 PM   #59
Anadriewen
Enting

Quote:
You know what? Five years ago there wasn't a single twelve-year-old girl likeme who ha actually heard of Tolkien or Lord of the Rings
Hey, you're twelve? Thats cool, cuz I just turned 13 about a week ago! I only know of about...6 people (2 of them are girls) that like Lord of the Rings that are about my age!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #60
ryttu3k
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Anadriewen
Hey, you're twelve? Thats cool, cuz I just turned 13 about a week ago! I only know of about...6 people (2 of them are girls) that like Lord of the Rings that are about my age!
Whoops, I didn't point that out too well... no, five years ago I was twelve, and just about the only twelve-year-old girl fan out there. Now there's a lot, mostly thanks to the movies. I'm seventeen now - sorry.
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote