Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2003, 06:29 PM   #41
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I usually can't remember whose son Orodreth ended up as - my poor brain gets confused sometimes and Angrod and Aegnor are pretty similar sounding names
Orodreth ends up being the son of Angrod, and father of Gil-galad. Of course in the Silmarillion, Orodreth is the son of Finarfin and Gil-galad is the son of Fingon.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:58 PM   #42
Cee Cee
Sapling

Well...I too am reading the Sil for the 1st time! I have read the 1st chapter about six times and seemed to have picked up more of the meaning each time it was read!

So...Here I am with my notebook and pen, The History of Middle Earth (which is a great help), The Altas of Middle Earth (another great aid) and a dictionary!

All I can say is...WOW. Tolkein was a genious. What great depth he puts into every sentence.

I'ts slow going, but I find that writing extensive notes is helping me keep it all straight!

Hope everyone is enjoying like I am@
Cee Cee
Cee Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:59 PM   #43
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Cee Cee
Well...I too am reading the Sil for the 1st time! I have read the 1st chapter about six times and seemed to have picked up more of the meaning each time it was read!

So...Here I am with my notebook and pen, The History of Middle Earth (which is a great help), The Altas of Middle Earth (another great aid) and a dictionary!

All I can say is...WOW. Tolkein was a genious. What great depth he puts into every sentence.

I'ts slow going, but I find that writing extensive notes is helping me keep it all straight!

Cee Cee
I am definetely encouraging you! It took like 3 times for me to really understand The Sil and I am just finishing my 4th reading of it now and it is the best book ever!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:57 PM   #44
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cee Cee

Cee Cee
I agree, exsept for I'm not liking it as much as you are. That man was exstreemly bright, I'm constintally getting confused and having to reread. I only read chapt. 1 3 times though I reallllllllllllly nead to pick up on that again, it was deu back at school the other day, so I'll have to recheck it out for the 3rd time. I'm gonna buy my own copy soon, so that I can highlight things, that'll be a GREAT ade. I think that I'll buy a cople of colors of higlighters though, that way I can highlight diffrent things diffrent colors, ex: all of the new names are in red, all of the important details in green, all of the fasenating stuff in yellow, and all of the newest creatures (like when the dwarves come) and there creation in pink.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:04 PM   #45
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

I aggree!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:31 PM   #46
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, that's a good idea, samwiselvr2008, about the markers!

I would recommend just ploughing through the whole thing and not re-reading the beginning chapters over and over, though. Just get it read through once, then go back over it. It gets easier. Stick with it

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:33 PM   #47
azalea
Long lost mooter

Ah, now I' m going to have to get an extra copy so I can highlight! I think I'll highlight each "line" a different color, because that's where, for me, the confusion lies.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:39 PM   #48
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Arwen Undomiel

i was confused too, but i understand it a lot better now partly because of entmoot!
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 03:16 PM   #49
azalea
Long lost mooter

Well, after a full year of reading on my second attempt, I have technically FINALLY finished The Silmarillion! It only took me a little while last night to read the entire Of the Rings of Power, etc., after trudging through the rest took all that time (trudging is too negative a word, because I did like the book, but it was just hard). I actually do have about 50 pages left to read though -- the Index and Appendix.
I am not really looking forward to reading it again, because it was hard for me, but I am going to soon because I know I'll understand it better the second time, and it'll go much more quickly (after all, I did have an interstate move last year, which cut out my reading time for a few months). Also, so many have said that they enjoyed it much more the second time around.
So, how far has everyone else gotten that's reading it right now?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 03:42 PM   #50
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I found the first time reading of The Sil very hard. But each time through it gets easier and better, IMO. It took me a few times of reading it to catch all the foreshadowing, it's brilliant how Tolkien throws that in. It also enhances LOTR because you understand all the history the characters are talking about, like Treebeards song, 'In the willow-meads of Tasarinan I walked in the Spring'.

And if you ever plan on starting up The History of Middle-earth books, I advice at least read atleast The Sil 2 or 3 times before you do. I read it 4 times before I started.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:08 PM   #51
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

I didn't find the Sil that hard, and it didn't take me that long to read. I think i understood it fine, the only problem is remembering it all! I think it got really good as you went on.
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:32 PM   #52
Legoles
Goddess of the evil smilies

Re: Please support me!

Yes it is the Hobbit in some cases throug TFOTR,TTT,TRK

PADFOOT LIVES!
Legoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 07:29 AM   #53
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Wow! A lot of the people in this thread have found the Silm a lot harder than I did (including azalea). I have just finished it, and I love it. It did take me a while to read though, because of the backtracking and all, but it was lovely. My favourite part especially is 'Of the Rings of Power' because it was so related to the events of LotR. It cleared some things up for me.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:35 PM   #54
Sparky
Sapling

W/ the Sil, stick w/ it. The stories themselves are excellent, it's just the style that can be maddening. After reading it once, I suggest you read it again. It's one of those books you need to read more than once to fully appreciate & understand.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:46 AM   #55
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I have a friend that is reading the Sil for the first time, so I"m bumping up this thread to the top

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-08-2004, 04:31 AM   #56
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

This thread deserves a bump! I've only read the Sil once, but it is great. It was a harder read than most books, but I really enjoyed it.
I love reading such a detailed history of a wonderful world! And it obviously helps that Tolkien is a genius!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #57
Beor
founder of the color blue

Here *hands out boxes of support* Good luck to anyone reading the Sil, for the first time, or for the fourth time, or for the first time not wearing your reading glasses, and trying to read in the dark . Each box comes with support, and a lollopop .
Old 03-23-2004, 03:00 PM   #58
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I've just bought a new copy today to replace my lost and stolen ones, so hopefully I'll finish it at last - with the help of the Sil project, so I can at least understand a little bit of it. Wish me luck!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #59
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #60
Rían

Good luck, Lalaith_Elf! Stick with it - it's well worth it