Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 10:38 PM   #41
Ben
Retired Ent

Nope we won't make a decision until after the deadline.

Moderators keep order in the forums, and often lead discussions. They can edit out words from posts if they are offensive, close threads so no one can reply to them any more, and delete posts.

I've received 12 complete applications so far, which is a decent amount.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Old 12-05-2002, 10:40 PM   #42
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Good question. A moderator's responsibility is to keep order in his/her assigned forums. They help people out with questions, give assistance, etc. Moderators enforce the rules of the board. They can edit posts, delete posts, delete topics, and close/open topics. Spam and advertising threads are closed. If a topic goes off topic, they direct the discussion back to its orginal topic (they often lead discussions too). If a topic has been created in the incorrect forum, moderators can move it to the correct one.

Thats basically all their duties and responsibilities and powers. I haven't answered that question in a while so I just wrote what came to my mind :d.

Administrators (like me) have more power. They can do all that moderators can, and they also have access to the board control panel. From there we can ban people, make announcments, change layouts, change user options, etc, and tons of other stuff (the CP is so big i still dont know how to use all of it - and tater was never able to figure it out).

Moderators only have power in their assigned forum (unless they are admins or super mods). Super moderators (like Khamul) have all the moderator powers - but in all forums and have no access to the control panel.

edit: grr ben you just had to reply and not let me.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 12-05-2002, 10:45 PM   #43
Humming bird
Sapling

You know, that is alot of responsiblity, I thought being in control of 15 impressionable 5th graders was tough!
And do you know when?

Paths that are travelled
And paths that are sought.
Great expectations,
Are sometimes for nought.

Goals that we set,
And prices are paid.
Love that may flower,
And flowers that fade.

It seems to me sometimes,
That sought after things.
Are sometimes best left
As matters for dreams
Old 12-05-2002, 11:32 PM   #44
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Humming Bird, are you a teacher? Lovely name, BTW.

It seems like we have a fairly good amount of applicants, don't want to have too many because the staff won't be able to wade through them all, or too few where none of them are good! Well good luck to whoever gets it, you've got you work cut out for you!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 12-06-2002, 01:43 AM   #45
BeardofPants
the Shrike

G88, you've spelt 'beautiful' wrong in your sig.

Maybe I should apply? *Feels the very fabric of time and space rending into two* .... But then again, maybe not. Don't think the world is quite ready for BoP with her bopping stick.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:09 PM   #46
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Hey, BoP you'd make a scary mod! I don't think toe-biting and living in a box is in the mod-description

Just a question, are you only appointing one new mod? I thought there used to be two for the books and movies forums. I may be wrong. I tend to forget things when they disappear and remember them differently later.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 12-06-2002, 01:20 PM   #47
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
Hey, BoP you'd make a scary mod! I don't think toe-biting and living in a box is in the mod-description

Just a question, are you only appointing one new mod? I thought there used to be two for the books and movies forums. I may be wrong. I tend to forget things when they disappear and remember them differently later.
Ben should probably be the one to answer this, but it is just for one mod at this time for the LotRs book forum because we anticipate a lot of traffic after the release of the TT.

You are absolutely right that there use to be two mods for those forums and two for the Middle-earth forum. I think when Nolendil left as admin/mod, he was just never replaced and the forums seemed to do ok with just one mod, but they had to be mean guys like CBG and me.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #48
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Ben should probably be the one to answer this, but it is just for one mod at this time for the LotRs book forum because we anticipate a lot of traffic after the release of the TT.

You are absolutely right that there use to be two mods for those forums and two for the Middle-earth forum. I think when Nolendil left as admin/mod, he was just never replaced and the forums seemed to do ok with just one mod, but they had to be mean guys like CBG and me.
why are you expecting a lot of newbies? or just lots of disscusion? oh only 13 days till it comes out
Old 12-06-2002, 01:29 PM   #49
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
why are you expecting a lot of newbies? or just lots of disscusion? oh only 13 days till it comes out
A lot of chaos too. Newbies that have never read the books and only see the movie, posting in the book forums. Now they think they know Tolkien. How annoying is that?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-06-2002, 02:06 PM   #50
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair

Thanks SGH! I now know i'm not crazy! And *awe* I remembered something! I didn't think you were mean. Oh well, must've missed it. Then, i think it'd prob be good to have a mod on the movie forum too? I know, i'm interferring. I shall butt out. *butts out*

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 12-06-2002, 02:24 PM   #51
elendili
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Newbies that have never read the books and only see the movie, posting in the book forums. Now they think they know Tolkien. How annoying is that?
How retarded

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
Old 12-06-2002, 02:36 PM   #52
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Just think how fast those newbies would high-tail it out of there after I threaten to bite their toes. There ARE some advantages to having a scary mod.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:47 PM   #53
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks SGH! I now know i'm not crazy! And *awe* I remembered something! I didn't think you were mean. Oh well, must've missed it. Then, i think it'd prob be good to have a mod on the movie forum too? I know, i'm interferring. I shall butt out. *butts out*
Thanks Elfmaster xx. I just included myself in that mean remark because CBG and I started the job at the exact same time, but to be honest, he was the real rascal.

You are not interfering at all. I think with all the admins and Khamul as a super moderator that Greg who moderates the movie forum will probably have lots of help without adding another mod to that forum. Of course all of this is Ben's call. As for the book forum, as you can see on the main index, there is no assigned moderator at all, and has been that way since CBG left. All the admins and Khamul have been moderating that forum, but once the movie comes out, the other forums will also increase in traffic and will need their assigned mods attention. Like me moderating the Middle-earth forum. I will probably have less time to look in on the LotRs book forum after the movie release.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-06-2002, 02:52 PM   #54
Elfmaster XK

OOps! I apologise. I hadn't noticed that Greg had been moved to Movies. He never used to be there did he? Okay. Sorry for my stupidity. You are quite right SGH.

Quote:
Just think how fast those newbies would high-tail it out of there after I threaten to bite their toes. There ARE some advantages to having a scary mod.
Heh heh...*evil laugh* How amusing. Though i bet Ben wants to attract more people rather than frighten them away.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 12-06-2002, 03:50 PM   #55
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Gee BoP, it would take a lot to fill taters shoes. Now that's scary.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-06-2002, 04:04 PM   #56
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

that's good to think of the rush after TTT comes out. Tolkien Trail is like, the third or fourth down on a yahoo search engine (at least it is on my computer) when the search querey is "lord of the rings" and/or "Tolkien" so the moot might get a good sized Tsunami of newbies.

but i think that it's fun to have new people around. don't you?
Old 12-06-2002, 05:07 PM   #57
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I don't want to be a mod. I decided that it won't be fun.

Quote:
originally posted by E XK
Heh heh...*evil laugh* How amusing. Though i bet Ben wants to attract more people rather than frighten them away.
That's exactly why I don't think it's a good idea to choose BoP to be a mod. Though it could be funny...
Old 12-06-2002, 05:53 PM   #58
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Maybe I should apply? *Feels the very fabric of time and space rending into two* .... But then again, maybe not. Don't think the world is quite ready for BoP with her bopping stick.
*wakes up screaming* Fiew.... It was only a bad dream.

Nah, just kidding. Think of all the power you'll have.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:07 PM   #59
gdl96
the greg the admin

I've just taken a look at the first batch of Mod Apps and I am very unhappy. Not one of you mod wannabes mentioned me in you answer to "Which admins/mods do you admire the most and why?".

Hint to those who have yet to send in their application: put me there and you'll get a good word from me.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:09 PM   #60
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
I've just taken a look at the first batch of Mod Apps and I am very unhappy. Not one of you mod wannabes mentioned me in you answer to "Which admins/mods do you admire the most and why?".

Hint to those who have yet to send in their application: put me there and you'll get a good word from me.
LOL! So the mods are into bribery now? In that case, maybe I should apply after all!
Closed Thread