Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I just like em BIG!
I thought Lurtz was sent to "Find the half legs!"
Old 11-25-2002, 08:00 PM   #42
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

heh heh... half legs.

JD, isn't the thought of a woman squeezing out an orc disgusting enough? It is odd in the film that they start out full grown and have the powers of speech, and even know what is a halfing.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:10 PM   #43
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
heh heh... half legs.

JD, isn't the thought of a woman squeezing out an orc disgusting enough? It is odd in the film that they start out full grown and have the powers of speech, and even know what is a halfing.
Yes - I thought that was strange too. Imagine how smart Lurtz would be if he got to live longer than a couple of weeks.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:25 PM   #44
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
Okay Lizra, I guess I shouldn't have said "tend to have...not very considered opinions." Perhaps I should have said that the people who say they like Lurtz seem not to have considered opinions. It seems to me, at any rate, that their affinity for Lurtz is more befitting an airhead. But even that's too strong-a-language. Please don't take this is as a flame. I'm struggling for tact. Lets just say I'd be pleased to see someone give a reasoned defence of Lurtz's inclusion in the film.

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)

Last edited by Amandil : 11-25-2002 at 08:27 PM.
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:59 PM   #45
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, If I had made the film, I wouldn't have made a "Lurtz", but "he's there"! So, for what it's worth, he was fun for me. The way he stands when Saruman is admiring his slimy, beefy, handiwork, his posture, is almost little boyish. When he admired his "squeezing hand" I really sniggered! And of course, this new bit where he licks the knife like "Nah nah na nah na", big stupid and with attitude! YEAH!

"LURTZ" That name is so dumb. It makes me think of a car in a haunted house ride at the kiddie carnival. Who coined that name anyway. Someone said it came from a game. We should have a "give Lurtz a better name" contest. Hmmmm

Last edited by Lizra : 11-26-2002 at 06:59 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:18 AM   #46
Amandil

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
Here's my better name for Lurtz: "Bad Idea."

I don't know if you've given a reasoned defence of Lurtz's inclusion in the film, but you do certainly come accross as "gushing." I can't even tell if you're being entirely facetious. I'm just glad I didn't get in trouble for suggesting an affinity to airheads. It is an out-of-date slam, after all.

Hum de hum!

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Old 11-26-2002, 05:58 AM   #47
iowyth
Sapling

There were a lot of changes in the movie I disliked, but Lurtz was one thing I liked. He may not have said much, but he didn't seem all that dum to me. He was an incredibly adept fighter... he must have been to hold off Aragorn that long. Aragorn just whipped the other Uruks with one sword thrust. He was ugly in a very intense and slightly sexy way. And he personified the evil and strength of the Uruks very well.

I will never get used to his head getting whipped off though. Makes me jump every time and I've watched the movie about 30 times. No.... I will never be prepared for that.
iowyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 06:51 AM   #48
Amandil

Maybe only Human Females like Lurtz...

Old 11-26-2002, 08:47 AM   #49
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Come to think of it, he was the most attractive (ha! now there's a statment we can all laugh at! ) of the orcs. Planned that way I'm sure. They know what they're doing! Boyish, orcish charm? His "behind" was excellent! oh geez, this is too funny....
Old 11-26-2002, 02:34 PM   #50
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Lizra, stop winding Amandil up.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:05 PM   #51
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Sorry! The old ways die hard!
Old 11-26-2002, 04:28 PM   #52
Amandil

lol, are you winding me up?! So that's how it works around here...

Old 11-26-2002, 04:57 PM   #53
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

She's just kidding Amandil! (I do love to flirt ) Who will be the "Lurtz" of TTT. Grima? Surely there won't be a "new" made up baddie. There's Gollum (not evil bad, pathetic bad), Grishnahk, Ugluk, Grima, and Saruman. Of course, the evil "Eye", the flying Nazgul, and armies of orcs wargs and bad men! Sounds like too many bad guys this time out! Maybe there will be no "new" characters.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:44 PM   #54
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

I'm a human male, and I think Lurtz was groovy. You couldn't get away with a film where the protagonists are supposedly being pursued by the enemy and not actually show the enemy at all. And it foregrounds the stuff about Saruman crossing "orcs with goblin men" (sic). And he gets sliced and diced in a deeply satisfactory manner.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:24 AM   #55
Amandil

Wow, you mean I got flirted with? Sheesh, I thought that sort of thing stopped once one got married...

Oh, and I guess my "only girls like Lurtz" theory is shot.

Old 11-27-2002, 04:01 PM   #56
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Strider

i didn't really like Lurtz that much, but he was a nice change from the other orcs
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:28 PM   #57
Amandil

Hmm...I see your point, I think. The other orcs were pretty lame, too. Well, at least when hanging out with Saruman.