Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-06-2002, 05:15 AM   #41
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I always had a soft spot for the Sweet Dreams series- real boy meets girl, falls in love then disaster strikes but its always a happy ever after kinda stuff. I find it really sick now but I'm still a hopeless romantic at heart but I tend to go for your swash buckling, orc killing, Strider type guy now rather than skinny little teenage brat with the IQ of a goldfish!!!! Mx
Old 12-07-2002, 07:43 PM   #42
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Yep! Enid Blyton was my fave! I particually loveThe Magic Faraway Tree! They were great!! I loved the character Moonface!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #43
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I loved the Faraway Tree as well! Especially the land with all the birthday parties
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:40 PM   #44
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

When i was really small i used to wish i lived there and that i could visit a different land everyday!
i used to read it all the time!

What was the name of that food they used to eat in the Faraway tree?

Oh and they had that slide that led to the bottom of the tree!!

I'm gonna have to find it and read it again!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 03:16 PM   #45
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Didn't they use to have biscuits which would explode in your mouth? I wanted those so much!
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:50 PM   #46
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

That's it yeah!! I used to want those soooooooooo much! I used to ask my mum to make some!!

WHat other lands came? THere was the land with all the birthday parties, oh and there was theone with all the ice cream flavours!
Once they all went to visit Moonface's friend and his house and everywhere you went was made of food!!
In fact that was the same landin which they had all the ice cream flavours! and soup flavours!
Old 01-03-2003, 12:32 PM   #47
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I like the Laura Engles Wilder series, me and my mom read them together so I don't know what level they are on. I also liked the Cronacles of Narnia, even thought I never finished them, me and my mom started to read them together, and ever since we moved we haven't picked them back up, I'd like to finish them, but I want to read them with my mom, she said that we would pick them up soon! I also liked Chinees Cinderalla, it's on autobiograpy, but it's really good and sad (be prepared to cry). I think that this is on a 4th grade reading level, but another favorite is Where the Red Fern Grows, I'v read it 4-5 times since 2nd grade, it was a yearly thing and then I got intrested in other books (I'm in 7th grade now). I never read Harry Potter, so I'm not sher what level it is on, so forgive me if these are below or above that level of reading! I know that there are alot more, but I can't think of them right now!

A good author to check out that I would sugest is Gary Paulson, he only wrote one boook that I didn't like, and he has writen alot of books (I haven't read all of them, even though I spent over half of my 5th grade year reading only Gary Paulson, theres that many books). He wrote some really good ones, there's one that is SF, but I can't think of the title, the other ones are fiction and historicle fiction mostly. The first one of his that I read was called Hatchet, after you read that, you can also read Brian's Winter and another one about the same story that comes after it that I can't remember the name of.

Another Favorite book is called Holes, I don't remember it that well, because it's been a while since I read it, but I remember asking people if there was a sequal to it after I finished it, and I was disapunted that there wasn't.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 04:52 PM   #48
azalea
Long lost mooter

I just finished reading my four year old the Pooh books (Winnie the Pooh, followed by The House at Pooh Corner). It was so funny because at the end I cried (if you don't know why, read the last chapter of The House at Pooh Corner!), and he didn't understand why, and I tried to tell him that sometimes a good book makes you cry. He gave me a hug.
Anyway, that is one great piece of children's literature!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:04 AM   #49
Millane
The Dude

mmm fav books growing up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and most Roald Dahl books and when i was really young Grug i doubt anyone has heard of grug but trust me if you find one his books read it there great
Fav childrens book Watership Down and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... i read these now because they are way different looking at them older and arent as neat and kiddy-ish as the Enid Blyton books which i always found too dull
Old 03-31-2003, 10:02 PM   #50
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
mmm fav books growing up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and most Roald Dahl books and when i was really young Grug i doubt anyone has heard of grug but trust me if you find one his books read it there great
Is Grug a little mushroom-shaped creature with long brown hair? I remember those books.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:04 AM   #51
Orion
Enting

I used to read a lot L.M. Montgomery´s and Louisa Alcott´s books as a kid, and I just loved Emily of the New Moon.. it was the old-fashiousness of those books which made them so fascinating. It was the same thing with Laura Ingalls-Wilder´s books. I used to read also E.R. Burroughs´ Tarzans , Nancy Drew and Enid Blyton. The oldest books were the best..
Old 04-01-2003, 05:53 AM   #52
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Is Grug a little mushroom-shaped creature with long brown hair? I remember those books.
hahahaha thats the one... you have proved me wrong someone else does know Grug
Old 04-01-2003, 08:33 PM   #53
gandalfstormcrow
Enting

Well, Dr. Seuss was always my favorite as a kid. The Berenstein Bear books were also good. I have more but I can't remember titles or the authors at the moment.

I just remembered! One of those was Where the Wild Things Arebut I can't remember the author.

Last edited by gandalfstormcrow : 04-01-2003 at 08:35 PM.
gandalfstormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:32 PM   #54
azalea
Long lost mooter

Maurice Sendak
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:02 AM   #55
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

My favorite children's book is Charlotte's Web. Beautiful story I still cry when I read it
I love Winnie the Pooh too
Laura Ingalls Wilder,
every Nancy Drew book(the old ones)
Narnia
oh, and all the Aesops Fables, fairy tales.....these are just a few

The Roald Dahl (sp?) books used to scare me, sorry but they are just wierd.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:05 AM   #56
Belle
Enting

Enid Blyton and the Faraway Tree was brilliant, as was the Wishing Chair (I think that's what it was called!) I always wanted to be Silky the fairy, she was cool. I also loved Malory Towers with Daryl and everyone, like Harry Potter with no magic! And of course Narnia was amazing, but I have to say that His Dark Materials Trilogy was an amazing read, i cried so much at the end of TAS. Terry Pratchett Truckers, Diggers and Wings was good too, and I recently read his new children's book 'Maurice and his Amazing Rodents', which actually disturbed me quite a bit! Roald Dahl is another favourite, The BFG and George's Marvellous Medicine, and the Magic Finger. And yes (shame) I used to love the Sweet Valley books, with the Unicorn Club! How sad am i?
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Made me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:35 AM   #57
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

lol.. I used to read Sweet Valley, oh, and the Babysitters Club. Ssh.. don't tell anyone It'll be our secret
I have to thank Tolkien once again. After I read the Hobbit, I found a whole new genre of awesome stories.
Another of my favorites is The High King by Lloyd Alexander, if I remember correctly.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 09:19 AM   #58
miss_poet
Enting

Ooh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Varda Oiolosseo
I liked Roald Dahl to infact i still do especially Matilda!!
I also used to love Enid Blyton i read all her books they were sooo good! I've still got them all!
I LOVE the books by Roald Dahl! He uses descriptive words in his books! I enjoyed reading The BFG, George's Marvelous Potion, and some of his other books! They are very good books and I recommend them to anyone!
As I look into the sky and sit and watch the stars I think of you. I wonder if you remember me the way I was or the way I am now. I know I will always keep a place for you in my heart. Even though the shadows fall and the darkness enters you will always be with me. I remember one thing about you. Your eyes. I used to look in them like pools of blue water. I could stare at them forever like the dark blue sky on a cloudy night. As I sit here still watching the stars I think of you, but the one thing I remember is your eyes.
miss_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:49 AM   #59
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Varda Oiolosseo
Yep! Enid Blyton was my fave! I particually loveThe Magic Faraway Tree! They were great!! I loved the character Moonface!
Thank you thank you thank you! I read that a loooong time ago, and could never remember the name oe the author, and never came across anyone else who had read it.

And yes Finn Family Moomintroll! (and the rest in the series) by Tove Jannson.

Historical books, anyone? For some reason my interest was always pre-medieval - from prehistoric through Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome.

Though one more modern favorite was "The Hills of Varna" by Geoffrey Trease.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:15 AM   #60
Huan
Elven Warrior

As a kid, I focused almost exclusively on superhero comic books, but occasionally I'd let an actual book slip through. The Hobbit was great, of course. As a really little kid, I loved those - grrr I forget what they were called, but that whole series of little hardcovers for early readers: The Pokey Little Puppy, There's a Monster at the End of This Book (featuring Sesame Street's Grover), etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Loved Maurice Sendak. And above all, I loved Henry and Ribsy and the Ramona books. I read somewhere once upon a time that all people who read as children can be evenly divided as either Beverly Clearys or Judy Blumes, and I find that to be quite true. Myself, I've never read a Blume book, but I devoured Ms. Cleary's tomes. The question is, why should this be true, that you either like one or the other of those two authors? Who here are the Clearys, and who the Blumes?
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote