Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2002, 11:51 AM   #41
Valacirca
Hobbit

I have always read everything that I can get my hands on, and LOTR was one of those books I read as a kid. But I totally fell in love with it and have read it about once in a year after that. So I have read it... countless times.
Valacirca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 01:40 AM   #42
Nienna Grey
Enting

Gandalf

I read The Hobbit when I was at school because there was a girl in my class who'd read it and she said it was good. I read LOTR later because I heard it followed on from it.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:21 PM   #43
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

My dad suggested I read LOTR because he knew that is was the type of book I liked to read so, if anyone asks, I blame my dad for my obbsession over it.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 04:42 PM   #44
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

That is how Erendil got started, and she is how I got started. Then the film came out so that helped a lot
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 04:51 PM   #45
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I think that i have already said this but
I started because my dad said that the movie was coming out and becasue i liked this sort of stuff i had better erad it. He was right about the Tripods Trilogy (that is a great book) so i read LOTR. If it wasn't for him, i wouldn't be here in entmoot now.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:11 PM   #46
XRogue
Elven Warrior

When I was 12 a friend of mine suggested I read LOTR. I'd read the Hobbit, but wasn't aware of the trilogy. I checked them out of the library, one at a time (they had a policy you could only get out one at a time because of a rash of thefts of the trilogy) and INHALED them. When I got done with ROTK and got a chance to get to a bookstore I bought my own copies. I read the Sil. 2-3 years later.

I have long since lost contact with the person who recommended the books, but he has my boundless gratitude. I don't think I would have survived my teen years without Tolkien.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:21 PM   #47
Eärinelwen
Sapling

Strider

When I was in Jr High we read the Hobbit, my brother told me about LotR, and it just escalated from there. They are the only set of books i've re-read many times over.
Eärinelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:27 AM   #48
Heather Wooltoes
Elven Warrior

I was 8 when the Bakshi movie came out. I tried to read my mothers LOTR set but....nu uh, i was a good reader but not that good. I read the hobbit though and looved it. I made a stab at it again at 10 and had no problem with the first book but the TT and ROTK was too confusing. I stuck to the chapters involving Sam and Frodo. At 12 I managed to get through the trilogy AND comprehend it. I've reread it about once a year since.

Don't p*** me off.....I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!
Heather Wooltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 05:47 AM   #49
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ërendil
I think that i have already said this but
I started because my dad said that the movie was coming out and becasue i liked this sort of stuff i had better erad it. He was right about the Tripods Trilogy (that is a great book) so i read LOTR. If it wasn't for him, i wouldn't be here in entmoot now.

Wow the Tripods - that takes me back! Me, I can't even remember why I read the Hobbit, I was very young - I sort of remember there was a BBC radio version of it that they let us listen to at school? Maybe I dreamt that. After The Hobbit, the rest sort of followed naturally.

btw Ërendil, you're at least close to Lothlorien - it's called Derbyhire! (ok, I'm biased!)

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 07:51 PM   #50
Getchan
Hobbit

Nazgul

I saw the animated LOTR and that kindled some interest. But right before the FOTR came out, my girlfriend bought me the Hobbit and LOTR for christmas. Much to her dismay, I became obssessed (and it's all her fault!). I'm now reading the Silm. and it's awesome too!
Old 07-12-2002, 11:39 PM   #51
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

My dad read me the hobbit and lotr when i was in grade one or two, and i loved them then, i reread them again this year after the movie came out and i love them more now~!!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 10:56 AM   #52
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

my best friend has long been a fan of LotR, and my sister and I had had the Hobbit read aloud to us. I had started FotR in fifth grade, found it boring, but when the movie came out I read the series again.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 06:29 PM   #53
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel This is pro'lly pathetic

1. Has any one heard of Bored of the Rings? Well being bored I read that. I saw on the cover that it said a parody of Professeur Tolkiens Lord of the rings, I wanted to find out what really happened... 2.My friends sister had a copy of all three books in the same book it was big and i was trying to read big books(Gimme a break i was only 9 or 10 and was trying to show off to all the other kids in my class) I read a little there before I found out I couldn't borrow it because it was falling apart by the end of chapter 2 I was hooked.

So there's MY two reasons. (BTW I've read a tonne more since then including the Sil)
Old 07-28-2002, 11:05 PM   #54
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I have read Bored of the Rings. It was kind of funny. A funnier parody is at the Tolkien Sarcasm site. Prabably not for young Entmooters.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:11 AM   #55
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

My brother is 5 years older than me, and I had to do everything he did. So when he read it, I just had to as well. I'm so glad I did!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:22 AM   #56
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

You know what? SILLY ME! This should have been moved a long time ago.

Moving to Lord of the Rings book forum.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 02:18 AM   #57
Palanturiel
Hobbit

Gollum

read hobbit in fifth and started fellowship, but didnt have the attention span. my friends in 7th got me hooked again. then the movies came out and i read them all again. just finished reading lotr and silm. now almost finished with unfinished tales, a great followup to silm. fills in all the holes.
History became legend...
Legend became myth...
And some things that should not have been forgotten... were lost...

Thus the third age of middle-earth began.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
YODA LIVES!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remember, people! We are all unique! Just like everybody else!
Palanturiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:40 AM   #58
webwizard333
Elf Lord

In second grade my Dad started to read The Hobbit to me, but stopped about 3/4 of the way through. So I finished reading it in one day during 3rd grade. Then I tried LotR, and it was over my head. Then in the beginning of 8th grade I noticed that the school bookshelves had all three. Four days later I had finished what I thought were some of the best books I've ever read.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:00 PM   #59
Llark silverwolf
Banned

Gollum

Heard from friend were cool books then saw add for movie and looked so cool so thought id read it. really really awesome lol
Llark silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:26 PM   #60
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Gollum

my sister really liked lotr, then i saw the movie and decided i wanted to read the books, i'm only aabout half way through the fellowship of the ring, but i really like it. the movie is also really good.

P.S. Arwen Evenstar, i have heard of bored of the rings, my sister read them she said they were really funny.

Last edited by Celandine : 08-06-2002 at 01:29 PM.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote