Old 04-18-2002, 01:41 PM   #42
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm w/ Palian on this one.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:52 PM   #43
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

Why don't we just wait for the movie to answer all of our pronunciation questions?
Wulažg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:09 PM   #44
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Well, we could wait for the movie. I understand they had language pros helping them with Tolkien's languages. But for years we have all tried to work out the pronounciations based on what Tolkien had written. And many of us never read Tolkien's words on pronounciation until long after we had developed our own style.

I enjoy this discussion, because it's one I still have with my friends to this day. I never take it too seriously. Keep it fun and informative is my motto.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:23 PM   #45
Bilbo Baggins
Sapling

Strider

The trouble with Entmoot is that it is a collaboration of words in the first place.

Still, noone is right, yet noone is wrong.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:15 PM   #46
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Perhaps the correct way to pronounce Tolkien's words is whatever you think!

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:07 PM   #47
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

Ro hirr im.
if i could roll my r's then i'd roll them.but i can't.....so i won't
Old 04-19-2002, 10:49 PM   #48
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

Another rather tricky word to pronounce is ...oh...gosh....anything in Sindarin or Quenya!
Old 04-19-2002, 10:52 PM   #49
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

I just say Rorhim. *shrugs*

I hate the way they say some things in the movie! Like Mordor: They're always going "Moorrrdoor." Aaaah!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:32 PM   #50
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
I just say Rorhim. *shrugs*

I hate the way they say some things in the movie! Like Mordor: They're always going "Moorrrdoor." Aaaah!
I think that's because that's how Mordor was meant to be pronounced. They had language experts on the job. I think it's kind of neat, though.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 12:26 AM   #51
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

It sounds more sinister that way. Morrdoorrr... I have a tendency to say Morder or something like that. I never realized it until I saw the movie. I also said Legolas without accenting the LEGOlas. I didn't say it like the building blocks. I guess I'm just weird.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 09:47 AM   #52
azalea
Long lost mooter

If you can get through Appendix E and actually understand it, it gives you a pretty good idea of pronunciations, although hearing a native speak it would be better . I was making a mistake on my dwarvish kh (I was confusing it w/ Orkish kh I think), until Khamul posted the quote from the dictionary. That appendix is hard to understand, but luckily I was a teacher and was pretty good at grammar, so I was able to get an idea.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:00 PM   #53
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Of course there is the deal with pronouncing all those names of the Rohirrim: Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn etc...

Take Eowyn for example; I usally pronounce her name like this- Ay-O-win. But I think it really is EE-O-win.

Anyone else?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:24 PM   #54
azalea
Long lost mooter

I pronounce it AY-oh-wen, AY-oh-mer, THAY-oh-den, and I think that is correct, because if the acute accent, which normally indicates that sound. Also, doesn't he indicate a long e with the two dots, like in Feanor and Aule? It is a bit confusing in the index, I think for me because Tolkein would, as an Englishman, pronounced things differently than me to begin w/, so naturally his explanation of sounds would be different for me than if he'd been a US citizen.
But I think AY is correct.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:32 PM   #55
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

Same for me, 'ay' seems right.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:04 PM   #56
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
It is a bit confusing in the index, I think for me because Tolkein would, as an Englishman, pronounced things differently than me to begin w/, so naturally his explanation of sounds would be different for me than if he'd been a US citizen.
But I think AY is correct.
I noticed azalea, that you are from down South so I wonder what Tolkien might sound like with a deep southern accent or for that matter with a nice nasal Rhode Island twang?

I do think you are onto something there, though. I have often suspected that Tolkien assumed certian pronounciations based on his expirence as an English man-and a prof. at Oxford no less. There may also be certian assumptions of sounds that come from the scholary world he lived in that are not part of our expierence.

But yeah, Ithink it's "AY" as well and the umlout indicates a long sound for "E".

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:08 PM   #57
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The reason you have problyms is that 'entmoot' is two words. Ent Moot. A Mooting of the Ents. Ent. Moot.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:24 PM   #58
azalea
Long lost mooter

Although I do live in the South I am half Northern (My father's side is all from the Northeast, and I lived in MA as a child for a few years) and half Southern (on my mother's side - but she has barely an accent), so I actually don't have a Southern accent, it's very neutral. I live in a rural area around many people who do have thick accents, but they think I sound like a "Yankee"! When I travel up North people generally can't tell where I'm from. But I do say y'all occasionally.

That's funny, I wonder how things would have been pronounced if Tolkein had been a Southerner. I always wonder about the teachers here trying to teach phonics to their students, for instance a long "i" is pronounced "ah" here! And a short a is "ay", as in ran being pronounced "RAYun". I wonder how Southerners pronounce some of the names in Quenya! I'll bet that would have sounded very strange to Tolkein. (Or those with a Northern accent, for that matter!)
Old 04-20-2002, 02:24 PM   #59
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Oh Wayfarer, is it really? Hadn't noticed.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:31 PM   #60
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

In any case, I have no problem pronouncing it. But then, I manage just as well with the different nasals and spirants and miscellaneous bits of speech that seem to be unpopular these days.