Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #41
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I've always maintained that Sam Gamgee was by far the most valiant of them all, in the truest definition of the term, followed by Pip & Merry. Aragorn, too, was pretty damn valiant.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #42
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

I say Sam. But in fact, all the hobbits. Mostly because what BoP already said in her 9000th

Edit: aaand, at last i see Lotesse's post too! It did update the thread, but I couldn't see it until now. Hmph.

Last edited by littleadanel : 01-09-2006 at 12:58 PM.
littleadanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #43
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Fatty Bolger, withstanding the Nine all on his own!

But thinking in terms of valour as knowingly taking on a powerful enemy in proportion to your own stature: Sam, definitely, for taking on Shelob.

All pretty valiant though. Aragorn confronted Sauron, after all. Gandalf and Balrog were equals (-ish): both Maia. Eowyn not strictly a member of the fellowship; Merry valiant but struck from behind.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #44
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

A possibility to strike from behind boosts one's valour quite a lot

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 01-10-2006 at 11:14 AM.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #45
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yeah, was just joshing. Though he had a bit of previous with the Nazgul in Bree. Maybe wanted to taste that sweet, sweet breath once more...
Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #46
CrazySquirrel

Well in Bree Merry met another nazgul, not the Witch-King.

But your words have reminded me of the Barrow-downs....Hmm
Perhaps I shall start a new thread.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #47
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i say aragorn, because he wrestled with sauron's will and won, where denethor failed, and of course, he's me fave...but that doesn't sway my choice, of course not...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #48
luvEyowen
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Eowyn not strictly a member of the fellowship;
You think Eowyn is cool??? You do?? Really???
luvEyowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #49
LadyHaleth
Sapling

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvEyowen
You think Eowyn is cool??? You do?? Really???
How could you not? Especially considering her as the single strongest female in The Lord of the Rings, one is bound to be drawn in by her character..

But I'm off topic. I really dunno who I'd pick. Probably Strider or Gandalf.. for reasons already mentioned. eheh

(My usual choice'd be Sam.. I heart Samwise. Cite:The Choices of Master Samwise. Nothing more need be said. :])

if you're really good,
i'll tell you about the sex lives of sheep

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." Tolkien

Last edited by LadyHaleth : 01-13-2006 at 05:50 PM.
LadyHaleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #50
luvEyowen
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

That's definatetly what I think!!!!!!!!!!!
luvEyowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:29 AM   #51
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I guess you could make an argument in favour of Eowyn outstripping the lot of them. Most men peppered their pants at the mere sound of the Witch-King, yet she defied him.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:13 AM   #52
CrazySquirrel

Eowyn was suicidal at that time. She wanted a valiant death, therefore she was not afraid. She almost got what she wanted, and afterwards was disappointed at staying alive. There was selfishness in her behaviour.

Also, Theoden left her in charge of her people in Rohan. She abandoned them to their fate, left her post as a traitor!

That undermines her valor, somehow, IMHO.

Merry was more valiant, because he wanted to live and was very afraid, but still he came forth to help Eowyn. Without her being in danger, he wouldn't have attacked the WK.
The same with Sam. He defended Frodo and confronted Shelob, but not to have people tell stories of his valiant death afterwards.

These two are most valiant.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 PM   #53
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

We seem to have a tendency to disqualify people's valiant deeds because of their situations, if you see what I mean. Was Aragorn's braving the Paths of the Dead less valiant than Merry daring to strike the Witch King simply because Aragorn's a man, a decendent of Kings, and Merry was a simple hobbit? Both were scared and tempted to turn back. I guess what I'm saying is, should the term valiant only apply to the reluctant? Did it take less bravery for Nob to scare away the Nazgul than it did for Gandalf to face the Balrog? I mean, certain death is certain death, after all.

In any case, I do think that Samwise the Stouthearted is by far the most valiant. Just had to spiel up there.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:45 PM   #54
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
Did it take less bravery for Nob to scare away the Nazgul than it did for Gandalf to face the Balrog? I mean, certain death is certain death, after all.
LOL!

I didn't think of it that way. But in Nob's case, I don't think he comprehended the danger as much as Gandalf did, and therefore wasn't as hesitant or had less reason to hesitate. But I'm nitpicking. I don't know how to answer that question... <--thinking smilie

Yours is a good point too, CrazySquirrel. I think every time a character put went out of their way to help out, they risked something much greater than themselves. Eowyn abandonded her squadron, Aragorn would have totally screwed Gondor over if he'd gotten himself killed, and the valiant effort to carry the Ring into Mordor was obviously dangerous, for three examples. They were all sort of questionable, and honestly if they failed we all would be calling them fools instead of valiant warriors.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 PM   #55
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
We seem to have a tendency to disqualify people's valiant deeds because of their situations, if you see what I mean. Was Aragorn's braving the Paths of the Dead less valiant than Merry daring to strike the Witch King simply because Aragorn's a man, a decendent of Kings, and Merry was a simple hobbit? Both were scared and tempted to turn back. I guess what I'm saying is, should the term valiant only apply to the reluctant? Did it take less bravery for Nob to scare away the Nazgul than it did for Gandalf to face the Balrog? I mean, certain death is certain death, after all.

In any case, I do think that Samwise the Stouthearted is by far the most valiant. Just had to spiel up there.
Who had more to lose, were they to die? Aragorn, so of Arathorn, yadda yadda yadda, or little Merry the Brandybuck Hobbit? Obviously, the heir to the throne Aragorn. Merry had much less to lose or affect others by having lost, than did Arathorn. Therefore, by REALLY sticking his neck out like that for Eowyn, involving the most TERRIFYing and powerful bad guy being next to Sauron himself, as opposed to Aragorn just keeping a handle on his willies and jitters for a moment to go deal with ghosts, I'd say the term "valiant" and "valience" would most describe the hobbit Merry.

Yet, all in all, at the end of the day, I still think it is Samwise Gamgee who takes the Valient Best In Show. In various fights, and also through seemingly endless hardship and struggle, with no "prize" or reward dangling before him or giving him a reason to, Sam still goes through it - ALL of it, without expecting a thing, or even realising how spectacular and invaluable he is.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:19 AM   #56
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Boromir because he gave his own life to save Merry and Pippin
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #57
arvedui_last_king
Hobbit

Aragorn, because he would have given up going to Gondor to go with Frodo to Mt. Doom.
arvedui_last_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:57 AM   #58
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
i had to go back and read the original question and it does say "of the company", so with that id have to say Boromir for his last fight. Sam, a very very close second, for all the things he went through with Frodo. a mention should go to all the men of Rohan for surving the onslaught of Helms Deep and then having the courage to again take up arms to ride to the aid of Gondor. without their bravory the battle could have turned out different.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 PM   #59
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

I think Denethor was the most valiant only because, although it was his own fault he kept looking into the palantir, and seeing the might of Sauron's army, he kept a brave face on things until the very last when Faramir came back heavily wounded, and there seemed to be no hope left. And all that takes a hell of a lot of mental strengh and valar to maintain, in my opinion.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #60
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvedui_last_king
Aragorn, because he would have given up going to Gondor to go with Frodo to Mt. Doom.
But nevertheless he did not go. Did not he?
What was holding him to take another boat and to catch up with Frodo and Sam? He could find them, he was a ranger, and was familiar with surroundings more than Gandalf. What was more important: to save the world or to save two bumling hobbits, who perfectly managed to free themselves without Aragorn's help? Valiant? Not in this case.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote