Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2002, 01:53 PM   #41
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I think I might have read something somewhere about there being elves at Helms Deep. Elves, plural. I hope that is wrong. . .it would be horribly dissapointing if there was more than one elf there, because it goes against the elves-are-fading bit. Which if you ask me, is rather important. . .

Oh, and thanks for putting those up, Pailan!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 02:40 PM   #42
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I'm going to regret this, because it's going to cause me reading complaints from members repeatedly. Anyway, here are the answers to questions about Elves at Helms Deep.

http://www.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_ttt.cfm

That should answer your questions.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 02:49 PM   #43
Eruviel Greenleaf

Well, Comic Book Guy, thanks for posting that. . .but elves at Helms Deep. . .*shakes head sadly*

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-16-2002, 05:11 PM   #44
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

After a long hard battle with dissapointment about not having to see Shelob this year or see the choices of master samwise i have decided to reserve judgment until i have seen the film---to you have any idea how hard that was to say!!!!!!!!!!

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 12:00 AM   #45
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

And that, mes amis, is known as wisdom.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 10:11 PM   #46
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

Gandalf Two Towers

Do you think the movie the Two Towers will stick to the book, and have the entire first half of the movie be with aragorn, gandalf, merry, and pippin, and then the second half be about frodo and sam, or do you think they will go back and forth between the two? Personally I hope they keep it like in the book. The only problem with the way it is in the book is that people who only see the movies might not like it as much.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 10:22 PM   #47
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Ten bucks says they show it in staggered fragments.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:31 PM   #48
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I read some where (probably the one ring.net) that is it definitely going back and forth.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 10:50 PM   #49
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Well if they didn't do it going back and forth, people (like me!) might get annoyed that Sam and Frodo aren't on and walk out, or just come in for the last half. I can't wait to see the end of TTT and start of the Sam and Fro bit of ROTK. BYO tissues!!!
_________
A small cute frog counts off the days till TTT on his LOTR calendar.
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 11:04 PM   #50
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I think they should edit it chronologically. If they didn't, some folks would probably get lost. Most of the action in TTT takes place with Aragorn and Co. so the action will probably focus on them. The Dead Marshes and Henneth Annûn should be pretty cool to see, though.

I'll be happy whichever way they do it, because Hey! It's The Two Towers!

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 05:06 PM   #51
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Even though i don't like it when they change the movie so that it doesn't match the book, i hope that they move it back and forth between the two ...things (I can't remember what to call it). When i read the book the 1st time, i wasn't that bothered what happened to the others...just Sam and Frodo so i was impatient to get onto book 4...there will be other people who think like this.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 06:11 PM   #52
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

This topic is featured in a current thread, because there is already a few replies, I will merge them.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:29 PM   #53
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Now that it appears that Shelob and the tower of Cirith Ungol are bumped to RotK, one can wonder this:

In all of the Two Towers, Frodo and Sam's journey with Gollum will go just from Emyn Muil to maybe the base of the path to Cirith Ungol and Shelob's Lair.

That's a lot of film and not a lot of action, even though a lot of action is occurring with the other remnants of the Fellowship. So, it only makes sense that The Two Towers is going to give to the audience the "character development" stuff they cried was missing from Fellowship. There will be a good amount of time, set against the parallel plots of Merry, Pippin and Treebeard as well as Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and the Rohirrim, to devote more screen exposure to the interaction of the characters.

So a (relatively) lot of time in Ithilien, after the turning aside at the Gates of Mordor. A lot of screen time for Gollum, which is intriguing. Plenty of time for the development of "events out west" in the neighborhood of the Gap of Rohan and the headwaters of the River Isen.

I imagine The Two Towers might even have a slightly less "hurried" pace than Fellowship. Less material, more time, might be even better crafted.

As for the ending of the film, as far as Sam and Frodo, I see a shot from below the Hobbits as they are starting up the stairway to Cirith Ungol, Frodo looking tired, worn and old, complaining how heavy the Ring is and Sam swearing to carry him to Mount Doom if he has to. Red light glints off the cloudbank hovering above the Pass, as Mount Doom rumbles and vents more and more magma as Sauron's power waxes. they dash for cover as below, an outpouring of Orcs in ranks led by a Nazgul head out of Minas Morgul, beautiful Ithilien in their path. All seems lost. No real hope. And Gollum has mysteriously disappeared....

Cue credits.

[Sorry, CBG!]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:34 PM   #54
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I would also prefer that the plot both east and west of the Anduin should be told going back and forth. Would add an air of even greater immediacy to the efforts of the Fellowship.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 09:06 PM   #55
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
I would also prefer that the plot both east and west of the Anduin should be told going back and forth. Would add an air of even greater immediacy to the efforts of the Fellowship.
I have heard that it will indeed switch back and forth, from a number of interviews and such. Which is good, in terms of being a movie, it will work better that way.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-22-2002, 01:04 AM   #56
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

opinion

i think bropous ending sounds pretty good, i also think that the crossroads would make a good ending

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 02:31 AM   #57
Entlover
Elven Warrior

But don't forget all those people who said "where's the ending? It can't end here!" Many people want a happy ending, or at least an upbeat one,especially if they have to wait another year to see the third part. PJ may take that into account. I liked the mood at the end of FotR: melancholy but hopeful. I'd hate to leave Frodo and Sam separated for the whole year.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 02:46 AM   #58
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I would like people leaving the theater thinking Frodo is dead. If they didn't read the books - that's their problem. Maybe it'll make them want to read them.

I just think it would be hard to have advertisements for RotK and not include footage of Frodo and Sam though. If they did that - then people would realize that Frodo wasn't really dead, just like they have the problem with Gandalf the White now in TT.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 11:26 AM   #59
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I would prefer they keep it as they did in the books: Aragorn and Co. in the first half; Sam and Frodo in the second. However, people who aren't farmiliar with the books would probably get confused. Oh well. There are worse things I have heard. Much worse.
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 06:04 PM   #60
Warrior
Hobbit

jerseydevil - i too was thinking that having people leave the theater thinking Frodo was dead would be a good idea. The way i saw it was having Sam walking off with Frodo's things (Sting, the Ring, etc...) and he sees/hears the orcs coming from both directions and have it end right when Sam is about to put the ring on....leaving things up in the open and people who don't know the books think Frodo is dead and Sam now has the burden on his shoulder.
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote