Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2002, 12:33 AM   #41
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Oooh, that is so true.

Oh yes one more tiny lil note, when you write for a roleplay, you usually only type out the stuff *your* charecter says. However since your such a good writer, I'm just going to let you (And you only) slide on that. If you feel theres an absolute and neccessary need to have someone say something, go for it, but please make sure its in keeping with the charecter's personality and dont do it too often.

Ok, that said, I think this thing is starting out really well. *happy happy*

hey...wheres Sam?...hrmm her dad must be hogging the comp again.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:39 AM   #42
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Wait . . . but if only your character says things, no one will ever talk! There would be no conversations, and hence no character relationships. I don't understand this at all.

I guess once we meet up with other people who aren't writing the RP, it'll work okay that way, but if we did that now, wouldn't we just end up walking along without our characters talking to each other? Help!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:57 AM   #43
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

nah nah nah see, you do have conversations but its like you leave it open so the other peron's charecter can respond.

example:
player one- Mike
Mike didnt get it at all, how could bob have stollen his fridge? the situation really sucked because he needed the pineapple and sake that was in the fridge. "So what do you think? should we go chase after bob and rip him a new one or what?"

player 2-Jake
Jake looked over at his freind, he was a little annoyed that Mike really cared that much about a blasted fridge. Before him, he saw a broken man, without fridge, without pineapple and without Sake. He got up and walked over to Mike. putting his hand on Mike's shoulder, he said " Alright alright, but sheeeot boy dont bring the gun"
sake- (sah-kay) rice wine

Theres a short simple and admittedly weird example. I've always found it easier to do it this way cause I'd only have to deal with what MY charecter was doing and it meant less typeing. Its kinda like playing a part in a play ya know? You interact with the other charecters but you only play your own part. You can continue doing it your way tho if you really dont understand mine. Sound good?
Old 02-07-2002, 01:02 AM   #44
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

So every time you want to say something you have to stop in the middle of a conversation and wait for the other person to respond? What if you want the people to say something significant, but you have to write something important after they're done talking?

Besides, it's funny to make other people talk.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 02-07-2002, 01:10 AM   #45
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

I know it sounds odd, ( there be method to the madness..or maybe there be madness in the method? @_@) but it really does work. If you like doing it your way, go ahead and keep on with it, thats fine with me. Both styles actually intermesh pretty well anyway. Make sure to keep in mind how the other charecters really are tho ok? dont make them say anything they wouldnt really say or do. ( I know you prolly wouldnt, not intentionally anyway. Its Just better off to have it stated then not)
Old 02-07-2002, 01:14 AM   #46
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Okay, I'll do as little of it as possible, at least until I find out more about the other characters. It's all good.

Old 02-07-2002, 05:28 PM   #47
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Hey, I write fantastically good too! Okay, so are we going to write only for our own characters, or what? Personally, I think we should, and shouldn't write for others unless it's a small part. Because they might've wanted to say something else besides what you posted, and that may get a little annoying.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 05:41 PM   #48
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

After much thought I have decided... Yes we are going to continue writeing for our own charecters only...if other people are writeing for other peoples charecters, theres not much point in the roleplay. Key words are "Role" and "play" its exactly like a theatrical performance. But in written form.

FF, I know its an odd system to you, but just try as best you can. I'd suggest looking at the other roleplays in this forum. You seem to indicate that your bigest problem with this way is with conversations between charecters, Its very hard for me to explain how it works, I suggest you look to the other RPs in the forum and take note of how other people are doing it. Its better to actually see it at work than to have it explained. I'm sorry that I have to retract what I said to you before, please dont be mad.

Ya see, the point of a roleplay is, no one can predict how other peoples charecters will react to a situation in word or action. This factor gets cut out when you write for other peoples charecters and its not as interesting. Unpredictability of other charecters is what makes Rp's fun. I wasnt thinking of this when I was talking to you last night.

Last edited by Feraway Hawkbriar : 02-07-2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:49 PM   #49
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Alright, well, I guess we're all waiting for Sam now. Where are ya, girl?
Old 02-07-2002, 08:08 PM   #50
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I'm here, I'm here. My gosh it's REALLY hard to get on my computer these days. So you guys know I usually pop in every other day, so if you dont see my face for a day dont worry. It's natural. And I can be Sam if you need it. California sounds good to me, although I usually picture the Undying Lands to be England, but I guess that Hobbits and Elves and all that can imigrate. When do we start? I think it only proper that the idea maker uper starts this...or are we ALL idea maker upers?
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:27 PM   #51
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

It has been started. Its in the thread titled "Deigned worthy of legend"
Old 02-07-2002, 09:18 PM   #52
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Hooookaaaaay. Just got a PM from Sam, says her time on the net for tonight has run out and she'll post tommorrow if she can. till then, we wait. (Its only fair.)
Old 02-07-2002, 10:27 PM   #53
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Agreed.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:14 AM   #54
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Awwww, you are all so nicely behaved
What are you all doing online???
Old 02-08-2002, 09:20 AM   #55
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Maybe we're fakeing it and dont know it? *shrug*

Its 5 in the morning here, wokeup with sore throat and have no voice. Going to have to go to school anyway cause I have to pick up some stuff. pain pain pain. yay me. T_T*
Old 02-08-2002, 10:22 AM   #56
Churl
Elven Warrior

Get well soon, Feraway!
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:15 AM   #57
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Haha! Guess what I just found out?

"Although we have no records of the later Fourth, or any following Age, Tolkien makes a brief allusion to the future of Middle-earth in a letter written in 1958: "I imagine the gap [between the Fall of Barad-dûr and modern times] to be about 6000 years; that is we are now at the end of the Fifth Age, if the Ages were of about the same length as Second Age and Third Age. But they have, I think, quickened; and I imagine we are actually at the end of the Sixth Age, or in the Seventh."

This note is especially interesting, as it gives some ground for bringing Tolkien's dating system up to date. The fact that we are 'at the end of the Sixth Age, or in the Seventh' hints strongly that Tolkien saw some important historical event as marking the recent (or imminent) end of the Sixth Age. Each of the three Ages we know about ended with a great war and the fall of a tyrant, and Tolkien was writing just thirteen years after the end of the Second World War: could there be a connection?

While this is circumstantial at best, it does seem to hint that perhaps the Downfall of the Third Reich was to the Sixth Age what the Downfall of Barad-dûr was to the Third. If so, we can 'reset' the calendar in 1945, which would be the first year of the Seventh Age. The letter quoted above, then, would have been written in VII 14, which explains Tolkien's reference to the change of Age, while the year 2000 would be VII 56.

It's important to stress that there's absolutely no direct evidence for any of this - it's just harmless speculation. We do know, though, that Tolkien was fastidious in calculating his dating systems: it's unlikely that he would have mentioned a change of Age if he didn't have solid reasons for doing so."

This is found at: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/f/fourthage.html

So, now we know how long it's been since the last Elves departed. About 6,000 years, according to Tolkien. I've still got my Elven-blood in me

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 02-09-2002 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:27 PM   #58
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Well someones been doing their reseach, eh? well that cirtainly does bring things a little closer then dont it? Hrrrmm very interesting. Thanks for the info RE.

BUT

Even though it may have been only 6000 years since the departure of the elves, what blooline left of them today would STILL be very thin and very rare. (Mind you, there were only like 4 unions tween man and elf and i doubt there could have been more unknown about, as that kind of thing would be hard/impossible to hide) And, tho the genetic information is still there, it still wouldnt show up as even a fraction of a blood history. It just IS there.

I must be getting better (wes pretty dern sick yesterday). I just woke up 5 minutes ago and manages to read and type coherently. *yawn**cough*...then again.. x_x
Old 02-09-2002, 01:52 PM   #59
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

The reason I put it up there is because 6,000 years is nowhere near as long a a couple dozen of million years, so the bloodline wouldn't be as thin as it would it have been, if we leaved it at "a couple dozen of million years ago". 6,000 is rather a small number compared to, oh say - 48,000,000? Agree? I'm not trying to argue that I have to have a certain fraction of Elvish heratige...I just want to point out the facts. And the facts are Elves left about 6,000 years ago. The end.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 02-09-2002 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:56 PM   #60
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Okay.