Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2002, 10:40 AM   #41
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I also got the survival- book overload in school. We read Hatchet, which was an okay book, but then after that our teacher made s read the two sequels as well. Neither of the sequels were any good, IMHHO. Then we read this other book called Adrift (or something like that) which was awful, pointless, confusing, and after a while it got so predictable that I almost wrote my book report w/o finishing the book.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:55 AM   #42
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I think Shakespeare is studied because he set so many firsts, and has been given apt time to be overanalysed to death. I respect his work more than I like it. I quite like A Midsummer Night's Dream, though.

What books do I hate?

The trash being passed off as "literature" that blasphemously tarnish the sacrement of the Star Wars logo.

It's scary that the publishing industry has sunk even lower than that... now we have Doom, Starcraft and Battletech "novels"? Thankfully, they don't touch something that has a truly sweeping foundation, like the Star Wars films. The amount of paper being wasted on this talentless commercial ****... if only the environmentalists knew the true cause of the destruction of the rainforests.

God I'm glad my nine-year-old brother got hooked on Rowling and Tolkien nice and early. I see reading Roald Dahl to him at the age of two helped set him on course.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:45 AM   #43
ryan
t2t relic

I hate all books, books are bad.
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:24 PM   #44
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

You hate all books!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!
Thats really sad, you're missing a lot.

Jacob Have I Loved was the worst book ever
Island of the Blue Dolphins was bad

As for Wrinkle in Time, I loved that book
Michael Crichton: Jurassic Park was good, but I haven't read Timeline yet.

Anyone read The Hot Zone? Thats a good book.
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:18 PM   #45
Alethes
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan
I hate all books, books are bad.
You must have an awful life. (just kidding ) Did you like LOTR?

I almost forgot about Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier. The first half of the book was pretty boring, but then came the surprising part of the plot. After that, the book wasn't boring, but it wasn't really fun to read because the characters almost had to go on trial (and would have been convicted), but escaped at the last minute. The book was told from the point of view of one of those characters, so it was told very realistically, with lots of details about how the main character and her husband felt when certain things happened. The book was so realistic that I could picture everything happening -- the villain's triumph, the hero's despair, etc. I didn't like thinking about the horrible predicament of the narrator's husband. In the end, it seemed as though the villain had won after all.
-Proverbs 22:11

Last edited by Alethes : 03-01-2002 at 10:19 PM.
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:27 PM   #46
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Medea... It's a grecian classic but honestly I hate books(or plays in this case) that end that way. I can't stand greek Tradgedy. I enjoy a few sad things in a book, but the Hero should always have won SOMETHING by the time the end comes around.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:08 PM   #47
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I actually liked Island of the Blue Dolphins. AND I like SOME plays that end where the 'villian' seems to have won, because too often in real life it seems that way.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 03-01-2002 at 11:12 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:24 PM   #48
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

In Medea, Medea's husband leaves her so she gets back at her ex-husband Jason by burning Jason's bride to be. the Father in law tries to rescue his daughter and is burnt and is disembowled in the process. She then hunts Jason's two children (who are also her own) and kills them by stabbing them. She then esapes . Like I said I enjoy a little bit of tradgedy. Not sensless stupid tradgedy like Medea
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 02:26 AM   #49
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I don't like stuff like that either. I felt sorry for Medea, except that she goes way too far. Of course there's no excuse for going nuts and killing everyone in a jealous rampage, but there's no excuse for Jason to be such a prick either. I don't like stuff where everyone (heroes and villians) is equally annoying. I like there to be at least one admirable person.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:20 AM   #50
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Sounder. That book stunk. It was boring. I hated it. I also hated Anne of Green Gables. It was retarded. I hate more books, but I can't think of any at the moment.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 08:54 AM   #51
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

At school I always had to read those depressing books, books about young boys dying of aids, books about children being sold during a war, books of people who found out that their life generally sucked and that the had no purpose in life, books of people who get suckered into neo-nazi-groups,.... When we asked for some less depressing books the anwser that we got was: "Real life isn't all fun and games, there's a hard and cruel side to it too." As much as I respect that view I just can't stop wondering that we only had the cruel side of it. Since then I have a distinct dislike of books that don't end well.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:56 PM   #52
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Frankenstein. That was seriously the worst book I ever read. It was so boring. They spent like three pages talking about how they ate dinner and one measly paragraph on how the monster came to life.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:15 PM   #53
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I hate the books of Amber. they're so boring! I read the first and it was the most horible book I ever saw!
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 08:12 PM   #54
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I think Medea is a highly overrated Greek tragedy that doesn't even fit into the mold of a Greek tragedy very well... the role of the Chorus is not as well defined, and Medea herself is not a tragic character tormented by fate and the will of the gods like Oedipus or Agamemnon, but a villainess. I don't feel that there's much to sympathize about her, and furthermore, Euripides' play itself has little sense of closure.

Of course, I don't quite hate it. "Hate" is a word I reserve for all the merchandise disguised as literature on today's shelves.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 09:02 PM   #55
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, after having Greek tragedy rammed down my gullet for so many years in school, I may be able to identify main themes and structural norms, but as far as ENJOYING it, I'd rather have a root canal.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 04:43 AM   #56
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Heart of Darkness Argh! I couldn't stand that book!!! Not that I finished it. . *shh! don't tell the Humanities teachers!* I know there are a lot more books I cant' stand, but I'll spare you the details. Oh! That "trashy romance novel" I had to read for Women's Studies. Now that was bad! Well, duh.

After being in Electra this past fall, I am not particuarly fond of Greek Tragedy. Maybe if I give it a few years, I can learn to appreciate it once again. But I loved Antigone!!!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:12 AM   #57
snoopy
Hobbit

I have never been able to get in to the red wall series. No matter how many times I trie i usually end up being bored out of my mind.
"Curse it! curse it! curse it!" hissed Gollum. "Curse the Baggins! It's gone! What has it got in its pocketses? Oh we guess, we guess, my precious. He's found it, yes he must have. My birthday-present."
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 02:11 AM   #58
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I liked Heart of Darkness. Am I destined to like books everyone else hates? But seriously, that's a great book.

I never got into Redwall either, snoopy. Just seemed boring.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 03:22 AM   #59
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Well, I do know a lot of people who liked Heart of Darkness. That's fine, I just happened to not like it. I never got in to Redwall either, the anthropomorphic animals were driving me crazy. I would have liked them if the characters had just been human.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 05:18 PM   #60
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Judith Krantz, and all historical romances! Bleh. And I still don't like Terry Brooks.