FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2002, 09:10 PM   #41
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Lucky!
I'll probably be doomed to a lifetime of imagining Orlando Bloom nancing around as Legolas. Ergh.
Hey, r u dissing Legolas?

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:17 PM   #42
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No. Read it carefully. I'm dissing "Orli". What are you going to do? Hurt me? Oooh... Pity I live all the way over here....
Old 05-29-2002, 02:36 PM   #43
Samwise Gamgee
Hobbit

Ok, jus quickly bout t film- Orlando Bloom is awesum! Did you not see his facial expressions first when Gandalf sed 'It is a fell demon of the ancient world... A BALRRRRRRROG!' He looked like he'd dun a wee elf-present in his pants. And then, when the BIg G passes to shadow, his facial expression. He actually looks as tho he is struggling to find sufficient oxygen in the air (I dunno if that fits in w/elf physiology, don't know of the Prof sayin air was ne diffrent in M.E.), phenom!
________
CRAZYFORME live

Last edited by Samwise Gamgee : 09-20-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Samwise Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:11 PM   #44
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Thats naughty Sammie.*shakes finger*

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:09 PM   #45
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Strider

I think orthendoc and burendur. You know some Lunitics want to change the title of the movie becouse of 9/11?
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:37 PM   #46
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Umm do you mean Orthanc and Barad-dur? See the thread called Interesting about the petiton.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:36 PM   #47
entss89
lord of the ents

Nazgul HI

I CANT HELP YOU THERE BECAUSE I DONT EVEN KNOW.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:14 PM   #48
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I always favored the orthanc/cirith ungol party!
Old 08-31-2002, 04:38 PM   #49
SlowBeam
Sapling

Treebeard From Another Thread on this

Click Here or Copy the one Below
http://www.users.cts.com/king/e/erikt/tolkien/2towers.htm

See the above link which was posted by a user on a different thread (same subject).

I was always of the opinion reading the novels that the Two Towers refered to Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul because they were originally the Tower of the Moon and the Tower of the Setting Sun.

There is definitely that note at the end of Fellowship indicating Orthanc and Morgul, and upon reflection that makes the most sense in terms of the plot.

The work is so rich, it should really be called the four towers. Orthanc, Minias Tirith, Minas Morgul, and Barad-Dur.
SlowBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 05:58 PM   #50
Caleb
Hobbit

It refers to Barad-dur and Orthanc because Peter Jackson says so on the Two toweres preview on the fellowship of the ring DVD. He said clearly that in LOTR that the two towers refer to Barad-dur and Orthanc.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:11 PM   #51
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
It refers to Barad-dur and Orthanc because Peter Jackson says so on the Two toweres preview on the fellowship of the ring DVD. He said clearly that in LOTR that the two towers refer to Barad-dur and Orthanc.
Peter Jackson is not Tolkien, his words mean nothing.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:30 PM   #52
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

It will always be Isengard (Orthanc) and Cirith Ungol for me because those are the paths of the plots of books 3 and 4. Barad Dur is only mentioned as it is throughout the story as saron makes his disembodoed presence known. The Tower appears only because Sauron can't.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:29 AM   #53
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Orthanc and Minas Tirith. That's where most of the action revolves and also where the two palantiri seen in the books are kept.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:46 AM   #54
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

It refers to Minas Morgul and Orthank. it's written in my book in a letter Tolkien send to another writer.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:46 AM   #55
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I think the title refers to Minas Tirith and The Dark Tower of Mordor.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:18 PM   #56
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Peter Jackson is not Tolkien, his words mean nothing.
Incorrect. He made the films. His words mean lots, whether you like it or not. Doesn't mean you have to believe them, just that lots of other people will.

I always thought it was Orthanc and Barad-dur. Minas Morgul isn't really a tower: a walled city like Minas Tirith. The driving force of Books 3&4 is the politics played out between Saruman and Sauron via the Palantir.

D.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 03:04 PM   #57
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Incorrect. He made the films. His words mean lots, whether you like it or not. Doesn't mean you have to believe them, just that lots of other people will.
He is correct. Peter Jackson did the movie, but didn't write the book. The writer is the only person who could say what the title is. It's not right to say that because lots of people believe of something it is right.
Quote:
I always thought it was Orthanc and Barad-dur. Minas Morgul isn't really a tower: a walled city like Minas Tirith. The driving force of Books 3&4 is the politics played out between Saruman and Sauron via the Palantir.
Minas Morgul was a city behind walls but in the middle of it there was a tower. It called Minas Morgul - The dark turret. Turret is a small tower. Like Minas Tirith.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 11:44 PM   #58
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown

He is correct. Peter Jackson did the movie, but didn't write the book. The writer is the only person who could say what the title is. It's not right to say that because lots of people believe of something it is right.
Well said Radagast.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:28 AM   #59
olsonm
Elf Lord

PJ was talking about which Two Towers are being refered to in his movie. He can't be wrong about that.

As for the book, the title can refer to any two towers you want it to. It's just a title the publisher (with Tolkien's acceptance) slapped on the book so they wouldn't have to call it Lord of the Rings: Part II.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:12 AM   #60
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
Radagast said it well, but just because PJ says that the two towers are Orthanc and Barad-dur doesn't mean that is true. This is the book forum, PJ is irrelevent here. What Tolkien has to say is what matters.

I think someone has said this, but I saw on the cover of TTT a sketch drawn of Orthanc and Minas Morgul.