Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #41
arvedui_last_king
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Ah but we never really get a full description of Nargothrond
I agree. Tolkien was probably too engrossed in the tragic story of Turin to fully describe Nargothrond. And remember, the warriors of Nargothrond were the only ever to invade Angband (Flinding/Gwindor in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad)
arvedui_last_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

It is likely that Nargothrond looked a great deal like Menegroth since Thingol told Finrod of the caverns of Narog and Finrod wished to fashion Nargothrond after the mansions of Menegroth.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #43
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Living in caves seems more Sindar-like, doesn't it? Thingol, Thranduil...

Nor typical for the Noldor.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #44
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Why is Fingon better than Turgon?
I think Turgon hid from his troubles, and Fingon went and met them head on. One of my favorite parts in all of Tolkien is where Fingon faces almost certain death but goes off, alone, to rescue his good friend Maedhros anyway, because it's the right thing to do. And I just lost a lot of respect for Turgon after reading the Fall of Gondolin. He should have led his people, but didn't.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #45
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Living in caves seems more Sindar-like, doesn't it? Thingol, Thranduil...

Nor typical for the Noldor.
True. Tolkien mentions that I believe in the appendices somewhere. Saying something to the effect of: it was not the nature of the Elves nor by choice for them to live underground, but due to the enemy,especially in the First Age. They preferred the the wide open fields, trees and grass, and most of all; the stars.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-20-2006, 03:50 PM   #46
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I think Turgon hid from his troubles, and Fingon went and met them head on. One of my favorite parts in all of Tolkien is where Fingon faces almost certain death but goes off, alone, to rescue his good friend Maedhros anyway, because it's the right thing to do. And I just lost a lot of respect for Turgon after reading the Fall of Gondolin. He should have led his people, but didn't.
That's a bit unfair. I haven't read the Fall of Gondolin so what you say may be true from there but remember the Nirnaeth. He led his people away from the battle field where others may not have done. This undoubtedly saved his people.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #47
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

I agree with TD. Turgon had redeeming qualities. He welcomed Tuor and gave him the hand of his only daughter without much fuss, not like the mean Thingol!
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #48
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I have to agree with Rian to a point. As I said in an earlier post, although Turgon was not a bad person or king, he did what some would consider turning his back on the Noldor and the troubles of Beleriand. The Nirneath is the only instance of where Gondolin became involved in the Wars of Beleriand. At the end, he became arrogant and prideful and forsook the words of Ulmo. But I have to agree with you CS that he wasn't that meany Thingol.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #49
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, Turgon definitely had redeeming qualities - I'm not saying he didn't. I'm just saying that I think Fingon was a better guy.

TD - you just GOTTA read the Fall of Gondolin! One of my favorite bits of Tolkien. Then you might see what I mean about Turgon. I just think he could have gone out leading his people, instead of the way he did ... (I'm not saying how he did, so you'll be tempted to read it and find out! )

I'm not particularly fond of Thingol - is anyone, for that matter? (except Melian ... )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 02-20-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #50
Telcontar_Dunedain

Turgon wasn't the only one of the Noldor to have turned his back on what the Valar said to be fair. The reason the Noldor were in ME was because Fëanor hadn't listened to the Valar and nor did the Noldor.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 02-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #51
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I think the trouble with Thingol is that the story leaves him in la-la-land with Melian and then we don't really get back to him till things start going wrong for his character.

He ruled succesfully in Middle Earth for thousands of years that we don't hear anything about. So he probably had quite a lot of redeeming qualities, they just weren't developed or told about within the story.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #52
Rían

I"m sure you're right, Maggie, but it's just fun to bash him!

Old 02-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #53
Maedhros
The Tall

Nargothrond

From the Lays of Beleriand:Lay of Leithian Canto VI
Quote:
To northward, where that stream yet young
more slender flowed, below the tongue
of foam-splashed land that Ginglith pens
when her brief golden torrent ends
and joins the Narog, there they wade.
Now swiftest journey thence they made
to Nargothrond’s sheer terraces
and dim gigantic palaces.
They came beneath a sickle moon
to doors there darkly hung and hewn
with posts and lintels of ponderous stone
and timbers huge. Now open thrown
were gaping gates, and in they strode
where Felagund on throne abode.
Also from the Lays of Beleriand
Quote:
In the verses describing Nargothrond the Lay of Leithian looks back to and echoes The Children of Húrin; compare

Doors there darkly dim gigantic
were hewn in the hillside; huge their timbers
and their posts and lintels of ponderous stone (p. 68, 1828 - 30)

with

Nargothrond’s sheer terraces
and dim gigantic palaces (1774-5)

and

doors there darkly hung and hewn
with posts and lintels of ponderous stone
and timbers huge. (1777-9)

I have mentioned earlier (pp. 104, 108) the drawing and watercolour of the entrance to Nargothrond. The drawing is inscribed ‘Lyme 1928’ (a summer holiday at Lyme Regis in Dorset) and the watercolour was very likely done at the same time: thus a few months after the writing of Canto VI of the Lay of Leithian. In both are seen the bare Hills of the Hunters beyond (with bare tops bitten bleak and raw, 1735), and in the watercolour Nargothrond’s sheer terraces (1774); but neither picture suggests that the entrance was hid and veiled (1704), by trees o’ershadowed dim (1707) - a feature of the description that goes back to the Tale of Turámbar (‘the doors of the caves... were cunningly concealed by trees’, II. 81).
IMHO, it is silly to compare the beauty of Nargothrond and Gondolin. If you look at the evolution of ME, you will notice that the first thing written about it is the Fall of Gondolin, when Gondolin is already a place of magnificent beauty, whereas the the forerunner of Nargothrond is a mere cave. Why is it that whereas Gondolin, is always remarkably described since the earliest of time, Nargothrond is not, and it has only a very vague description in the Lays of Beleriand? Isn't it strange that while JRRT delighted many of us with his great description of places in ME, he did not bother with Nargothrond. Wow.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #54
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros

Why is it that whereas Gondolin, is always remarkably described since the earliest of time, Nargothrond is not, and it has only a very vague description in the Lays of Beleriand? Isn't it strange that while JRRT delighted many of us with his great description of places in ME, he did not bother with Nargothrond. Wow.
Perhaps the reason for that is because Tolkien already stated that Nargothrond was fashioned after the mansions of Menegroth. The fact that Nargothrond was wrought from the caverns of Narog does not mean that it was not magnificent and beautiful. As I said earlier; in spite of the beauty of any of these kingdoms, they are only as good as the kings that rule them. So, even though Tolkien described Gondolin in more depth, its king was not depicted as well as Nargothrond's.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-23-2006, 06:33 AM   #55
Forfirith
Hobbit

I would save Gondolin because it recalls Tirion in Valinor whereas Nargothrond could be rebuilt by Dwarves and it makes me think of Thranduil's caves in Mirkwood.

Last edited by Forfirith : 02-23-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Forfirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #56
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I'm with R*an here. Save Gondolin, but replace Turgon with anyone (preferably Fingon).

I would have once been sympathetic to Nargothrond, but 1) I don't like caves, and 2) those idiots really deserved everything that came to them.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #57
Telcontar_Dunedain

What about Finrod?

Old 02-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #58
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
and 2) those idiots really deserved everything that came to them.
Yeah, what about Finrod?

You are in so much trouble miss.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #59
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Yeah, what about Finrod?

You are in so much trouble miss.
My apologies, SGH.

"Idiots" refers to everyone in Nargothrond except Finrod, Edrahil, and the others that followed.

Turning on your own king like that...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #60
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Gondolin... because the easiest way to do it is to bump off a snot nosed son of a "dark" elf...

Though I'd really rather be saving Angband...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote