Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2004, 08:44 AM   #41
Lenya
Elentári

That's a good idee. If he did that, he wouldn't have to leave out so much, but it would probably have costed a lot more.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:46 AM   #42
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

yep. that would have been better I think, making 6 films,one for each book. but it would ceartainly had costed more..
Old 12-18-2004, 08:51 AM   #43
Lenya
Elentári

Sorry man, I said it first. Glad you agree with me though
Old 12-18-2004, 09:01 AM   #44
Pytt

I know you said it first. I was just backing up your statement
Old 12-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #45
Lenya
Elentári

Oh *oops* I thought yours just got posted right after mine. My internet is so slow, so that's the kind of thing that would happen to me. Today in particular - I'm waiting 2 minutes for a page to open. It's killing me!
Old 12-18-2004, 09:13 AM   #46
Pytt

thats annoying hope it's getting better soon
Old 12-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #47
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think I would also have Boromir and Aragorn with proper beards. Especially Boromir. He had a long and difficult journey, 111 days IIRC, not a lot of chances to shave there.

Aragorn couple probably shave at the Pony, and they both would upon arrival at Rivendell (unless their characters are bearded... hm...)

Either way, they can't maintain 5 o'clock shadow for three straight weeks in the wilderness.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #48
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider Teletubbys?!?

Quote:
I liked most of the look, but I agree with what lots of you have said. However, I thought the Shire looked really fake. After the first film came out I heard someone call it 'teletubby land' and it did look like that to me. I don't know why, but there was something not at all natural or countryside-like about it to me
Oh no! The teletubbys must have been distorted hobbits (Like gollum).
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:54 AM   #49
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider Something

Okay this thread didn't go how I ment it, but it was better!
I thank all of you for your nice (and sometimes odd) ideas .
Now I have something to say: I think the black ships at minus tirith were... flying!

Now I have said this. And feel free to send private messiges to me about this.

This strings starter me9996.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #50
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I think I would also have Boromir and Aragorn with proper beards. Especially Boromir. He had a long and difficult journey, 111 days IIRC, not a lot of chances to shave there.

Aragorn couple probably shave at the Pony, and they both would upon arrival at Rivendell (unless their characters are bearded... hm...)

Either way, they can't maintain 5 o'clock shadow for three straight weeks in the wilderness.
Actually, that's a rather likely possibility.

When you're in the wilderness, in those sort of circumstances, shaving is usually accomplished using a knife, and without a decent mirror, so it's safest to just leave it as stubble and only cut it when it starts to get long enough to annoy.

Just speculating.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:03 PM   #51
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That's a good point Wayfarer, but it makes me think of something else.

Maybe I also don't understand this because I'm a girl, but... why bother to shave with a knife at all? That sounds difficult to me. Why not grow a beard? No one cares if you look scruffy (as one does in the beginning stages of a beard) out in the wilderness.

Maybe it's just habit?

At this point it's just personal preference of how I would like the characters to look rather than fixing a perceived continuity error though.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:36 PM   #52
Beor
founder of the color blue

I have to shave everyday in the field. I usually accomplish this with a razor and some cold water (since the field is always cold), however, sometimes I get enough time to slap on some shaving cream. Its..uh...its fun. Real fun.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:38 AM   #53
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Maybe I also don't understand this because I'm a girl, but... why bother to shave with a knife at all? That sounds difficult to me. Why not grow a beard? No one cares if you look scruffy (as one does in the beginning stages of a beard) out in the wilderness.
Because anything over a couple centimeters itches after a while. Quite a bit. And chances are if you're in the middle of the wilderness you're getting less chances to shower than to shave, and going for thre months without a shower while having a full beard is going to be incredibly uncomfortable.

Also... from my experience the 'heavy stubble' stage can linger for quite some time. I shaved... oh, two weeks ago, and I've yet to develop anything that could be seriously called a beard. So I don't really see it as unrealistic that Aragorn and Boromir could do the same in the wilderness - it would be more comfortable than taking care of a full beard and easier than keeping clean-shaven.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:16 AM   #54
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Also... from my experience the 'heavy stubble' stage can linger for quite some time. I shaved... oh, two weeks ago, and I've yet to develop anything that could be seriously called a beard. So I don't really see it as unrealistic that Aragorn and Boromir could do the same in the wilderness - it would be more comfortable than taking care of a full beard and easier than keeping clean-shaven.
This could vary from person to person, though. Boromir and Aragorn strike me as the type who would grow a good deal of facial hair... not sure why. Probably just the idea of the rugged outdoorsman. On the other hand, full beards just don't reconcile with my mental pictures of them. Strange mental contradiction, that.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:48 PM   #55
Something
Hobbit

If I should make the movie(s) I don`t think anybody would see it (them).

I think Peter Jackson did a great job.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 PM   #56
Pytt

I saw part of RoTK today( not the EE, damn it ) and when Frodo and Sam are in Mordor, you see this light from the eye. I think I would have removed that, in some way it reminds me of some sort of searchlight and I think it should be other ways to illustrate Saurons search for the ring. actullay how, I am not sure of though...
Old 12-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #57
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I would have made certain scenes look less like they were obviously filmed in front of a blue/green screen, i.e. Isildur, and I would have done totally different Ents.

And I would have made Legolas look a whole lot less gay. And Frodo. His relationship with Sam looked pretty damn gay "Oh, Sam..." (lustful smile). I would have made Frodo's laugh look less contrived.

Last edited by Andúril : 12-20-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #58
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I agree about the 'searchlight-Mordor-eye' thing. In the first movie, the Eye is just sitting atop Barad-Dur, which is goofy enough. In the second two movies, it turns into this weird searchlight. It's kind of rediculous.

I would have made Faramir look more like Boromir. In fact, I would have got another person to play Faramir. I mean, he has the nose, but little else in common with Sean Bean. He should have had the same accent, at least, as Sean's Boromir. And I would have had Faramir a little older, and a little wiser-looking- like one of the kings of old born into a later time, touched with the sadness of the elves.

What is with that Yul Brennar in elven pajamas look at the end of RotK. Every time Leggy enters Frodo's room with that dumb look on his face I want to bust up laughing, or else crying out of shame. How could they make an elf look so rediculous?!

Um, the Paths of the Dead... needed... a wee bit of help... Need I say more?
At any rate, the Dead themselves I liked well enough when they are under the mountain. However, I think that when they came out into sunlight their green-ness should have changed. I think the colour of the ghosts should have been effected by what light they're in.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #59
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
What is with that Yul Brennar in elven pajamas look at the end of RotK
*giggle* I like your way of putting it...
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:11 PM   #60
AL.D
Sapling

A couple of things I’d change straight away are pretty unoriginal, as they seem to be things that were altered by PJ in the first place.

- The Smeagol/Deagol scene shouldn’t go at the beginning of Return of the King, no matter how much of an inspirational idea PJ claims it to be in his commentary. It so obviously belongs midway through the Dead Marshes scene, (where I think it was originally written), and the scream of the Fell Beast brings us back to the present. So the first change I’d make would be to re-instate that scene to it’s rightful home.

- Secondly, despite what PJ says (again) TT could have held the Shelob scene quite comfortably. In fact what a brilliant way to end the film. Leaving a question mark over whether Frodo was dead or not. The perfect cliffhanger! So, cut all the Warg Attack nonsense, forget about Frodo and Sam being dragged all the way to Osgiliath by someone who’s a bit like Faramir but not really, (grrrr!) and tell the story as it was written.

Actually most of my gripes are to do with the ordering and breaking of scenes.

Why, for example, do we have to cut away from Eowyns confrontation of the Witch King, to show Aragorn arriving dramatically on the Corsair ship? I can only imagine it’s so that Viggo gets his hero shot before the lower-billed Miranda Otto. But it almost ruins one of my favourite scenes in RotK. The glory is taken even further away from Eowyn in the EE, as Aragorn casually kills Gothmog as she is helpless on the ground.

So I’d put all that back together into longer scenes without all the cutting about, and while I’m at it, how about a nice little scene (just a few minutes, not long) showing Denethor and his Palantir. Just to give the viewer a clue as to why he’s such a mixed-up, crazy guy.

And, regarding the endings…I think the reason people don’t like this I because of the technique used. All those fades to black. So lets get rid of them and put mixes in instead. Much better.

I loved the Mouth of Saron though
AL.D is offline   Reply With Quote