Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2005, 02:12 AM   #41
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Don't you think if Saruman's a bad guy Denethor should be too? That's the only role he played in LotR, despite how unfortunately his mind was seized from him by Sauron.
Somehow, I still don't think of Denethor as a bad guy. I think of him more as someone who's reason had left him and who should have died earlier. But, then again, I think a lot of people in ME should have died sooner...

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:22 AM   #42
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

But isn't that the same you'd classify Saruman? They were both corrupt by Sauron, and all that we saw of either of them in the books was bad. No one has so much mercy on Saruman, and he was probably the cooler of the two. (mad wizard)
Old 01-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #43
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I don't know clearly. While Sarumann did quite a lot of bad actions, Denethor did none. Ok he thought of burning Faramir. they are both corrupted, but not in the same way. I don't know if I think Denethor should be considered a bad guy..
Old 01-29-2005, 11:55 AM   #44
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

I do not think that Saruman and Denethor are to put in the same bin, so to speak.
Saruman was corrupted by the ring and sauron.
Denethor went mad because of Sauron.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:07 PM   #45
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I feel that the reason Sarumon and Denethor are not to be judged the same is because they are given different purposes in life. Sarumon was on a mission to prevent Sauron's Victory, and had been putting all his effort towards that before he succumbed. However, Denethor was a human who had other purposes in life. He wasn't given a divine mission. I wish he hadn't gone crazy, I wish a lot of things hadn't happened, but I have more mercy for his failure than Sarumon's. That said, I don't hate Sarumon, either, but he always seemed to have an ambition that put his own interests before the completion of his mission.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:05 AM   #46
Gandalf The White Rider
Sapling

mine is William from The Hobbit.
Gandalf The White Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #47
Lenya
Elentári

Thanx Bombadillo for backing up my statement that Denethor is bad. Yes I totally agree that if you classify Saruman as evil, then Denethor is also evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
I don't know clearly. While Sarumann did quite a lot of bad actions, Denethor did none. Ok he thought of burning Faramir. they are both corrupted, but not in the same way. I don't know if I think Denethor should be considered a bad guy..
Denethor wasn't exactly an angel. He stood aside and refused to raise one hand to help his people while he knew disaster was coming. He wouldn't let them prepare for attack or evacuate the women and children and he wouldn't send for Rohan. As stuard that was his duty.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #48
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf The White Rider
mine is William from The Hobbit.
I don't remember there being a William.?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #49
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
I don't remember there being a William.?
It's the name of one of the trolls.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #50
Lenya
Elentári

Oh. I've completely forgotten about them cool, they were interesting.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #51
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
But isn't that the same you'd classify Saruman? They were both corrupt by Sauron, and all that we saw of either of them in the books was bad. No one has so much mercy on Saruman, and he was probably the cooler of the two. (mad wizard)
Yes they were both corrupted by Sauron but in different. Saruman served Sauron (for a time) knowingly and willingly, but Denethor didn't even know that his actions were serving Sauron.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:36 PM   #52
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Nazgul

My favourite evil character is probably The Mouth of Sauron.Bacause he is cool in an evil way.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:32 PM   #53
Morgoth the Elfbit
Hobbit

Location: I split my time between Mordor and your Imagination
I have to change my previous answer as Haradrim. My favorite baddie has to bve Shagrat. I like all the small evil characters. Shagrat, Gothmog. Not much is known about them but to me they just seem cool... in a cool sortof way.

Here is my permanent apology for off-topicing. If I do it, which i will, I am sorry. I feel bad about it but being an elfbit messes with your head and things get wonky so spamming is almost inevitable. There will be good replys but for when I do off-topic I am deeply sorry.

Offical title: Morgoth the Elfbit: Un-Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

At Your Service.... BOW TO ME!

Miranda Otto is hot!

I Kinda Like Feanor.... (meep)
Morgoth the Elfbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #54
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya

Denethor wasn't exactly an angel. He stood aside and refused to raise one hand to help his people while he knew disaster was coming. He wouldn't let them prepare for attack or evacuate the women and children and he wouldn't send for Rohan. As stuard that was his duty.
Yes, so you could say he was indirectly evil. His actions, or lack of actions, turned out evil, but in them self they were not evil. But puting him wiht Sarumann is wrong, I mean.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #55
Lenya
Elentári

Like I said, he neglected his duties. As a steward, that is a no-no.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:35 AM   #56
Telcontar_Dunedain

He only neglected them after he had been influenced by Sauron. At heart he was good but because of Sayuron he felt despair and that is probably his main fault.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 04-02-2005, 02:58 PM   #57
Morgoth the Elfbit
Hobbit

I dont know TD for me that argument sounds a lot like. Well he was really good until he was influenced by thta evil man. I mean Sauron didnt turn you evil he actually made you evil. In my mind Denethor was as evil ass ay Saruman because he was a tool of Sauron even if he didnt knwo it.

Here is my permanent apology for off-topicing. If I do it, which i will, I am sorry. I feel bad about it but being an elfbit messes with your head and things get wonky so spamming is almost inevitable. There will be good replys but for when I do off-topic I am deeply sorry.

Miranda Otto is hot!

Old 04-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #58
Telcontar_Dunedain

But all he did was unintentional. He wasn't like Saruman who went about breeding orcs. I mean think of one pure evil deed he did intenionally that you can't think of a reasonable reason for.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:10 PM   #59
Morgoth the Elfbit
Hobbit

He indirectly almost caused the fall of Minas Tirith.

Miranda Otto is hot!

Old 04-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #60
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

denethor was not evil, he chose, even after being poisoned by sauron, to act in a way which he deemed good, still attempting to resist the threat of mordor, at the least remaining faithful to good over evil, whereas saruman chose to depart from the way of good, and join evil in it's entirety, even if he did betray sauron, he was still working for evil ends
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote