Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 AM   #41
Lenya
Elentári

No no no no no. That's all wrong. Feanor is way too hot headed and he doesn't think of any one but himself and his honour.

*Lotesse sees a funny swirley in front of her eyes*
"You do not like Feanor. You are not a Feanor fan. Feanor is bad. Feanor is bad. Feanor is bad..."

No offence meant to anyone's personal taste off course
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #42
katya
Elven Maiden

Lotesse, I was under the impression that you read the Silmarillion a long time ago. Anyway, now what can I say about Fëanor? I like him because of his pride, and his strength of heart. He wouldn't take any crap from anyone and he was anything but wishy-washy. And he lives for himself. He had a lot of good qualities: might in body and mind, valour, endurance, beauty, understanding, skill, strength- that's taken right from the first page of chapter 11 of the Sil. Plus, he's got sort of the bad boy thing going- "Let the ships burn, hahaha." (even though that was horrible and everything.) And everything Lotesse said.

And, he slammed the door in Morgoth's face. That was absolute coolness.

Pippin is a close second. He's just funny and cute. And I have grown to like his transformation into a soldier.

I also have sort of soft spots for Faramir, Eowyn, Turin, Fingon, and some others. I guess I like just about all of Finwe's house come to think of it.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #43
JTB
Enting

Nazgul

Man: Beorn or Faramir
Elf: Feanor
Hobbit: Merry
Dwarf: Gloin
Ent: Beechbone
Wizard: Radagast or Gandalf the Grey
Orc: Uhh, Gothmog?
Ainur: Uhh.., Orome
Evil Dude: MOUTH OF SAURON!!!

Tee hee I'm despicable!

Last edited by JTB : 08-27-2005 at 10:29 AM.
JTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #44
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Orc: Uhh, Gothmog?
Gothmog was a Balrog.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #45
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Sam's an awesome character...especially beating Shelob in ROTK.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #46
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Gothmog was a Balrog.
SGH, Gothmog is also the name of an orc. There are two gothmogs in LotR.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #47
JTB
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Thanx. Sister Golden Hair, don't feel alone in that puzzle. I was confusled up, too!
Old 09-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #48
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Bilbo Baggins

My very favorite Tolkien character is Bilbo Baggins. He's just great, I think. He saved Thorin's dwarves time after time, and kept doing it even though they didn't appreciate him. The way he used the Arkenstone to avert war was very noble and sweet. And he's the only person to ever willingly give up the Ring, although Gandalf did have to bully him a bit. I just love Bilbo!

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #49
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
That's not for sure. It doesn'a actually say in LotR, he could be a Black Numenorean.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #50
clep_web
Hobbit

Gandalf!

Chosen for
a) his selflessness
b) his bravery
c) his kindness
d) and last but not least, a very great (or should I say sarcastic) sense of humor

He has got to be my favourite character in all the books. But I like Bilbo and Samwise too. Bilbo for being that incredibly courageous hobbit, and Sam for being the real hero of the story.

Quote:
And he's the only person to ever willingly give up the Ring, although Gandalf did have to bully him a bit.
You forgot Sam. Sam and Bilbo both gave the Ring up willingly.

Some time later and a few dead wolf packs...

"What did I tell you, Mr.Pippin?" said Sam, sheathing his sword. "Wolves won't get him. That was an eye-opener, and no doubt. Nearly singed the hair off my head!"
clep_web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:15 AM   #51
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Other favorites

I've already stated my favorite character (Meriadoc), but now I'll use JTB's thingy to show other favorites.

Man: Faramir or Aragorn
Elf: Galadriel
Hobbit: Merry
Dwarf: Kili and Fili
Ent: Treebeard
Wizard: Gandalf, Grey and White
Orc: I'm not a big fan of orcs.
Ainur: I haven't finished reading the Silmarillion yet. It's not my fault!
Evil Dude: I'm not a big fan of evil dudes, either; but I'd have to say the Witch-King.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #52
ofthewind
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

Boromir.. His role in the book is really interesting. Sometimes the good guy, sometimes the bad.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #53
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Bilbo deserves another vote! If he hadn't run out of his house after the party, none of the LOTR would have taken place.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #54
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

true!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #55
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

The Witch-King, of course!

BTW, Gothmog II was most likely a nazgul

Last edited by Gordis : 02-10-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:16 AM   #56
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Out of the ladies: Nerdanel and Lady G. (Galadriel)

Nerdanel because although we don't know much about her we can guess that she must have been an exceptionally strong-minded and unique lady to have captured Feanor's interest and held onto it long enough to have and raise seven kids. She must also have posessed an insane amount of patience to run such a household.

Lady G. just rocks. She survived where all of her male relatives died and held to her defience of the valar as long as she possibly could. And her speeches in LotR are gorgeously eloquent.

And of the boys (of which there are many): Glorfindel and Maedhros

Glorfindel for getting kicked out of Mandos early and going back to Middle Earth for a second round (which I find to be both heroic and hilarious) and because in the short amount of page time that he has he manages to be both charismatic and intriguing.

And Maedhros because the poor guy deserves some respect. And he's the only left-handed elf (even if it was a product of necessity); and in a very strange way he kind of reminds me of one of my uncles (in that he's the eldest of seven, a red-head, and occaisionally slightly disturbed due to stress).
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #57
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Now that you mention those points about Nerdanel, I must say I like her a great deal, too.

Hey you guys, the whole gothmog/gothmog thing got me thinking, so I looked it up in the Encyclopedia of Arda, just out of curiosity. I think I'd like to believe that the Lieutenant of Morgul, Gothmog, was a Black Numenorian like TD says, or better yet - a Nazgul, as Gordis asserts. Could be either way!

Here it is:

" Gothmog is mentioned precisely once in The Lord of the Rings, and we're given absolutely no clues about his race. As second-in-command to the Lord of the Nazgûl himself, he clearly had very great authority over Sauron's forces, and this has led some to suggest that Gothmog was also one of the Nazgûl. This by no means impossible, but it is notable that Frodo and Sam, who saw the Witch-king lead his armies from Minas Morgul, only observed one Nazgûl leading the host.
Others have speculated that Gothmog might have been a Man. We know that the Lieutenant of Barad-dûr was a Man (a descendant of the Black Númenóreans), so it seems perfectly plausible that the Lieutenant of Morgul might come from the same race. What's more, the Witch-king's companions, as seen by Frodo and Sam, do seem to have been Men.

The idea of Gothmog being an Orc seems rather less likely, but even that possibility cannot be dismissed. Ultimately, there's no hard evidence about Gothmog's race.

2 The name Gothmog was originally given to a mighty Balrog of the Elder Days, one of the greatest servants of Morgoth the first Dark Lord. Its meaning is unclear, and several possibilities exist, such as 'Dread Enforcer', 'Voice of Morgoth' or 'Black Master'. For more information on this topic, see the entry for the original Gothmog. "

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #58
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Thanks Lotesse.

My favourite Tolkien character is now Húrin Thalion. He was so brave even when only he was left on the Nirnaeth he still foiught on. Then, when captured by Morgoth, he would not betray his knowledge of Gondolin's whereabouts.
I was delighted when I realised that there was a chapter dedicated to Húrin in HoME 11. It's a really good read.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #59
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yes, "The Wanderings of Húrin" was a very cool read, and Húrin's defiance of Morgoth in the Lays continues to be one of my favorite sections.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #60
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Faramir

How could you pick anyone else?

I wont bore everyone with repeated reasons. I will only say we should all try to be more like him.