Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2004, 05:10 PM   #41
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Thanks. I really enjoyed watching the game. What a great beginning of the Euro 2004

So far so good, we're the only country in our group with 3 pts. I hope we can defeat Italy on June 18th. If they didn't manage to win over Denmark, then we should have a chance to beat them

Oh, and Henrik Larsson made two of the goals against Bulgaria. It's so good to have him back on the team
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 06-14-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:23 PM   #42
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Darn, darn, darn!! I gave all my support to Bulgaria, and what did I get?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:47 PM   #43
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Can this be viewed in America?
I'd love to see the games.
JD you'd probably know.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #44
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
Can this be viewed in America?
I'd love to see the games.
JD you'd probably know.
I was going to watch it - it was only on Pay Per View though for $20. ESPN might have it on once it gets closer to the finals. You'd have to check your cable or satellite.

Congratulations Jonathan. Sorry I wasn't able to watch it with you - but you said not to spend the money on it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:55 PM   #45
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I was going to watch it - it was only on Pay Per View though for $20. ESPN might have it on once it gets closer to the finals. You'd have to check your cable or satellite.
Yeah I thought so. Thanks, I'll just check it out.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:43 PM   #46
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
Iker Casillas is brilliant? Not in Real Madrid he isn't. He is a good goalkeeper but he has had his fair shares of boo boos.
Yah, but thats like Bartez. When hes on he is probably the best goalkeeper out there, but when hes off hes just an average keeper. In France 98 Bartez was amazing, but in 2002 he was horrible. Thats the same way Casillas is.

Quote:
Just before the Italy - Denmark game , I have to go with Italy 2-0
i know the games over and all, but i wouldnt have gone with that, Italy always chokes. That and a lot of their players are over rated. They are good players, but they all try to do it themselves. Thats why they didnt do so great in WC 2002

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:12 AM   #47
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Oh, and Henrik Larsson made two of the goals against Bulgaria. It's so good to have him back on the team
Told you he was a god. His first goal was stunning: a fantastic cross and a simply balletic finish.

Now, it might be tougher against a non-suicidal defence (Bulgaria were a lot better than 5-0 would suggest, but their defence was like the keystone cops), but I reckon that even the Italians will be having nightmares about facing Larsson, Ibrahimovich and Ljungberg.

Ibrahimovich in particular has matured into a really good footballer since the world cup. On top of that, you've got great service from the wingers (that bloke that came on for Lucic was pretty useful) and a solid defence. I'm just kicking myself I didn't bother to put my usual 20 quid on Sweden to win (you could've got 33-1 before the competition) and Larsson to be top scorer.

Czech Republic v Latvia and Germany v Holland tonight; wins for the Czechs (3-0) and the Dutch (2-1), methinks.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #48
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Yah, but thats like Bartez. When hes on he is probably the best goalkeeper out there, but when hes off hes just an average keeper. In France 98 Bartez was amazing, but in 2002 he was horrible. Thats the same way Casillas is.
Yes, but Buffon is always on. That is why he is probably the best goalkeeper in the world.
Quote:
i know the games over and all, but i wouldnt have gone with that, Italy always chokes. That and a lot of their players are over rated. They are good players, but they all try to do it themselves. Thats why they didnt do so great in WC 2002
I would have thought that Lippi would have made a great coach of the Italian team, too bad that it is Trapattoni. I was more upbeat because of the Del Piero-Totti combination. It was not used in the last World Cup.

Even though that the Euro is on, the best soccer match this week will not be held in Portugal but rather in Argentina in the semifinals of the Copa Libertadores. Boca Juniors vs River Plate. You will not believe the pace that those guys play. If you compare for example the Italy vs Denmark game, one would say that the europeans were playing at half the place that the argentinians do.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:51 PM   #49
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Latvia - Czechs was a nice game to watch. Both teams played well, IMO.

Now I'll sit down and watch Germany - Netherlands, and it'll be an interesting game, I hope.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #50
Janny
The Blobbit

I'm gutted for the Latvians. So close!
1 - 0 Germany! Woot! (I'm a Tottenham fan... we had Jurgen Klinsmann for ages... the man, the legend! )

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #51
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Haha, too bad the Latvians didn't win
They beat Sweden in the last game in the qualifying round - which was Sweden's first loss in a qualifying round for years - and managed to qualify for the Euro 2004. Boy were the Hungarians mad at us for letting them win

Anyway, it would be fun if they (miraculously) managed to advance from their group, since they shouldn't even be there if it wasn't for their annoying little victory over Sweden
So I cheer on Latvia. Even though they don't stand a chance against Germany or Holland.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:44 PM   #52
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Holland tied with Germany. Van Nistelrooy had a nice goal with 9 minutes left.

Czechs won over Latvia. Kinda surprising that Latvia had the lead at half time though.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:07 AM   #53
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Looks like the Dutch nearly did their customary self-destruct manoeuvre, and the Czechs got out of jail too. Still, I'd expect them both to go through from this group.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:46 AM   #54
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

So far, IMHO, only Zidane, Van Nistelroy and perhaps Larsson have showed why the're considered stars. Van Nistelroy's goal was amazing!

Let's see how go things today for Raul, Figo, Rui Costa...
Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 PM   #55
Maedhros
The Tall

Just finished watching the Spain Greece game. Raul was nonexistent. Spain dominated but in the end it was a 1-1 draw.
Joaqu*n was excellent.
Regarding Iker Casillas: le colaron la pelotita.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #56
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Tsk, tsk, Maedhros, shouldn't you be working?

I'd like to see Portugal win today. They're in the lead, and the russian keeper has just been sent off, let's see what effect that has.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #57
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Elvellon, do you live anywhere near the football stadiums? Are you going to watch some fo the matches 'live'?

I'm just a little bit envious ...
Reasonably near, but I won’t have the opportunity to see many games live, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I saw on French news that the opening ceremony was the founding of the new world. I thought that was sort of odd - since as far as I know - there aren't any teams there from the western hemisphere and not all the countries involved in the games were a part of that. I figured they would have had something more inclusive of all of europe? [edit] On thinking on this - I guess they did it since the host country is Portugal - and therefore the voyage of Columbus is appropriate to be represented for the host country.

Not Columbus per se, rather the Age of Discoveries.
And it is actually quite appropriate, since it is about the History of the host country, as you said. The Portuguese took the business of exploring very seriously; and besides, we traditionally see ourselves as an Atlantic country.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Yup, Portugal has had many famous explorers. Diaz, Da Gama, Magalhães etc.
[SIZE]
Quite

Quote:

I'd like to see Portugal win today. They're in the lead, and the russian keeper has just been sent off, let's see what effect that has.
2-0

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion

Last edited by Elvellon : 06-16-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:30 PM   #58
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Though I didn't watch the whole game it's my understanding that it wasn't anything big. Portugal should have done better against a Russia who played much of the match with only 10 players and reserve keeper...

Last edited by Falagar : 06-16-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:09 PM   #59
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Even I, have to eat sometimes.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #60
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hi Elvellon! *waves*