Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2004, 07:06 AM   #41
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Come to think of it, I hope we ALSO get to see the one ugly orc commander at the siege of Minas Tirith meet his end. In the theatrical, we just assume he dies somewhere along the way, since the entire black army is wiped away. Surprising though to build up a baddie and not actually show him getting 'offed'... I suspect it was filmed but then cut from theatrical.
As a rule I don't gamble, but does anyone want to lay odds on who gets to take him out?

In the theatrical cut, we don't see him anymore after the charge of the Rohirrim. Our last view of him shows this *shocked / scared* look as the Rohirrim close.

I'm thinking Eomer gets him - because there's that cut of him taking a spear from someone at just about the time we see the last cut of the ugly orc guy (like any of them are other than ugly).

Other candidates:

Theoden - he's leading the charge and the movie really plays up his heroism
Eowyn - might be a nice touch
Merry - One for the Shire! (and Eomer thought he had no business there - by the movie anyhow)

Someone else - always possible

Not shown - now THAT would be regretable!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #42
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I saw the Eomer crying scene - I'm betting (and hoping) it's over his sister.

I think we've seen the Merry pledging to Theoden scene from day 1, but it's still not in any of the movies! Prob. will be in extended ROTK.

More Faramir and Eowyn! I hope so, at least.

Also I hope the Mouth of Sauron scene will get in.

I've been so happy with the other 2 extended versions, I'm getting anxious for this one to come out! And then a giant LOTR party!! with all three extended versions and loads of food and lots of fun!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:23 AM   #43
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I'd like to see what Sam does in the Green Dragon that elicits such glee from Frode, Pippin and Merry when he goes over to Rosie at the bar. I assume it's a kiss, but it'd be fun to see his change from shyness to assertive returning hero.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:05 PM   #44
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I like how they DON'T show it! I think it was Hitchcock who talked about the power of NOT showing something; that leaving it to the viewer's imagination was more powerful...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 AM   #45
Valandil

I agree with you there Rian... our imagination probably captures it best, and if they show it, it might not measure up to what we imagined, and therefore be disappointing.

I expect that yes, it WAS a kiss. Probably noteworthy enough to be joked about for years... and to give him the notoriety to propel him into politics (Al Gore and Tipper, step aside!)... and seven victories in mayoral elections!

*Warning* - Fellas, be VERY cautious about trying this yourself. These days, if the girl is not receptive and doesn't reciprocate (and I expect both cases were so for Rosie), you'll be slapped with charges of 'harrassment'!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 07-26-2004, 03:16 PM   #46
Telcontar
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil -
I expect that yes, it WAS a kiss.
AND:
Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover -
I'd like to see what Sam does in the Green Dragon that elicits such glee from Frode, Pippin and Merry when he goes over to Rosie at the bar. I assume it's a kiss, but it'd be fun to see his change from shyness to assertive returning hero.
C'mon, a kiss? What is she some wh.ore who dishes out kisses to guys that come up to her? They're (Frodo and gang) laughing at the fact that he finally got the balls to go talk to her...

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:23 AM   #47
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar

C'mon, a kiss? What is she some wh.ore who dishes out kisses to guys that come up to her? They're (Frodo and gang) laughing at the fact that he finally got the balls to go talk to her...
Can't agree with you there, Telcontar. No, she's not a loose woman, she
knows and is friendly with Sam. And the looks that Frodo and the gang give clearly indicate that he does something more unexpected than go up and say hi. I will leave it to your imaginations, as Rian suggests.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:57 PM   #48
Telcontar
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover -
Can't agree with you there, Telcontar. No, she's not a loose woman, she knows and is friendly with Sam. And the looks that Frodo and the gang give clearly indicate that he does something more unexpected than go up and say hi. I will leave it to your imaginations, as Rian suggests.
I would almost be willing to put a wager to prove how wrong you guys (& gals) are. There's no way Sam would do that. He's a respectable guy and so is she. He's one of those types that doesn't kiss until the second date. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Frodo and the gang started laughing at Sam cuz he finally had the courage to go up to her and talk to her. If you remember Bilbo's party in FOTR, Sam would barely even look her in the eye until Frodo pushed him to dance with her. That example proves his shyness.
Besides, every situation I've ever seen or been involved with, I have noticed people do the same giggly thing when their friend goes up and talks to the person they have a crush on. I've never seen anyone just go up and start kissing someone they weren't in a relationship with (unless they were at a bar at closing time and trying to hook up).

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #49
Valandil

I don't think a wager would work... because I don't think we'll see any more of it. I think we're supposed to think it's a kiss. I don't think Rosie would have taken kindly to just anyone doing that... but I think she liked Sam (even the movie version of Rosie) and was happy to have him overcome his shyness and make a bold move like that.

I think, I think, I think...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-02-2004, 02:17 AM   #50
Entlover
Elven Warrior

We could ask Sam, but as Sean Astin says, "I'm not him." Maybe the EE will help us out.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:31 PM   #51
Ella Nyneve
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruthiel's cat
I have heard that there might also be a scene between Boromir, Faramir and Denethor -- sort of a flashback concerning the reason Boromir goes to Rivendell and a bit of background on the relationship between the three of them.

I have no idea if this is true. My friend and fanatic movie and fangirl told me this. She's usually pretty reliable in her information.

(but she hasn't read the books. just the cliff notes version!!!!!!!! *sigh*)
In all honesty, I've seen the EEs of both FotR and TTT, and that was in the TTT EE. It's in the part where (In the Theatrical one) Faramir's sitting there and thinking before waking up Frodo after Gollum was found.

"I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something." "What're we holding onto, Sam?" "That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for."~ Frodo & Sam, LotR:TTT

"Madame Gaston, can't you just see it? Madame Gaston, his little wife! No sir! Not me! I guarantee it! I want much more than this provincial life! I want adventure in the great, wide SOMEWHERE. I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone... understand. I want so much more than they've got planned..."~ Belle, Beauty & The Beast
Ella Nyneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #52
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

i would love to see gandalf breaking sarumanns staff! one of my favourite scenes in the book! 'sarumann, your staff is broken!'
ah, wonderful!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:34 PM   #53
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Im not entirely sure the staff breaking will happen. Seeing is how Sauruman dies within this same scean it would kind of be redundant. Not to mention as I understand it, Saruman will be in a high balcony looking down at them, Gandalf would have no way to get the staff and break it. As well as Grima is soposedly the one who pushes Saruman to his death from the balcony. But the staff breaking may be in there yet. I hope so, anything to make the films closer to the books is good as i see it!(wish there couldb e a scouring of the shire though *sigh*)

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:52 AM   #54
The Nameless One
Hobbit

I remember hearing something about Peter Jackson having a short fight scene with one of the major characters...I hope its Gimli that would be awesome to see the captain of the Corsairs fight Gimli. So I guess this means that the army of the dead does fight the corsairs at Pelargir....I hope

Oh and I found this a while back Maybe the Scouring of the Shire exists as a seperatly filmed alternate death of Curunir(Saruman)????that would be amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8117.jpg (8.7 KB, 52 views)
The Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:29 AM   #55
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nameless One
Oh and I found this a while back Maybe the Scouring of the Shire exists as a seperatly filmed alternate death of Curunir(Saruman)????that would be amazing.
Why do you think that has something to do with saruman's death? It seems just a pic of the four hobbits when they return to the Shire.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #56
The Nameless One
Hobbit

I know...I was just getting my hopes up...When I got the pic, they took it off the site the day they posted it so I thought maybe it was something important that wasnt suppose to be seen. Who knows...Peter Jackson loves to suprise us.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:11 PM   #57
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

The scouring of the shire is a story in its own right, and it would have taken too much time to do properly, I'm sorry it won't be in there but at the same time I'm glad that PJ didn't slam it in.

The gaping hole in the plot is the reason behind Denethor's despair and advancing madness, and I'm sure that (Palantir) will be addressed.

Also missing is the confrontation of Gandalf and the witch king. Incidentally I hope tWK is not going to break Gandalf's staff.

I also have a pic of Eowyn lying on a bed touching Aragorn's face, which I'm sure is in the houses of the healing, which would lead me to believe the reason for the Eomer bawling scene is finding his sister who he thinks is dead. Remember Eowyn and Merry clutching their arms right after they struck the witch king?

We also see Faramir standing with Eowyn at Aragorn's coronation. I'm sure we'll see more.

PJ loves to do the baddies, and his baddies are very entertaining, so I am sure he's going to "unveil" his new villain the mouth of Sauron. I've seen pics of his bust and the descriptions in this thread are very true to what I've seen.

My bet is Theoden is the one who skewers Gothmog (the orc with the bad case of neurofibromatosis). It would be fitting-- just a hunch.

Last but not least I really hope we see Ghan Buri Ghan. How about Robin Williams in the role?

Fear Complacency!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #58
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

They definitly do have the MoS because I have a book on the movies and it has a section on him and what he does in RotK.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:30 PM   #59
The Nameless One
Hobbit

Ghan Buri Ghan was in the cast before the movie came out according to IMDB.com but they took the actors name away once the real cast was givin so maybe they do got him in the movie....I hope.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #60
Valandil

On a different site I just saw the following:

* December 14 release (pre-order, I think they said Sept 10)
* Saw both 50 minutes additional and 49 minutes additional - little enough difference
* Suggested retail of $39.99!!

Treat this as a rumor, but hopefully reliable info. I just didn't get it first-hand.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court