Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2003, 05:06 AM   #41
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The Ring might have amplified Smeagol's muderous nature, or tempted him more than an ordinary Ring would have.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:58 PM   #42
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Actually, the impression that I had when I first read the books was that Sméagol was already bad, and that he was just stealing an obviously valuable artifact; as the text says, "because the gold looked so bright and beautiful." Thus, the Ring's hold on him was immediate and total. Later, I developed questions about this, since obviously the Ring could affect even those not in possession of it. But I still think he was evil from the begininning, in a small way, as Gandalf would put it.
Well there are many arguements that it was the evil in the ring that drew Smeagol to do evil, that is the way I read it as well...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:44 PM   #43
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I guess that you would have to ask yourself: if the thing that Déagol found had been some other valuable thing, would Gollum have murdered him, still? I don't think so, myself. Sneak thieve it later, perhaps.