Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2002, 08:52 PM   #41
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Of course, Kevin, there is only one human race, homo sapiens sapiens, and within that race are five recognized "chromotrophs", color variations: Melanesian, Mongoloid, Negroid, Caucasian and Amerind. There is not real difference between any of the chromotrophs, only cosmetic; internal organs, appendages, all the same for all five.

Color variations are only one means that people commonly use to classify races. Any varient can (and is) used, which in affect makes race classification a tenous endeavor.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:13 PM   #42
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

And separating species, even less precise delineation, is excessively tedious! In trying to determine the identity of a fish between two very closely related species, sometimes it comes down to the count of fish scales located around the eye....

I can see it now....."Hey! Fourteen-scaler! Get away from that water fountain...it's a fifteen-scale fountain only!"
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:35 PM   #43
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
And separating species, even less precise delineation, is excessively tedious! In trying to determine the identity of a fish between two very closely related species, sometimes it comes down to the count of fish scales located around the eye....
Which is why I say we shouldn't bother.

"Hey! This is a new species! It thas 16 scales around the eye!"
*Pluck*
"Put it in with the 15 scalers."

"Look! A new species of beetle! It has an extra pair of spots on it's shell!'
"What? That's Magic marker!"

Incidentally, It is my firm belief that all 'negroid' people are inherently evil.

Come ON!

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-17-2002 at 10:17 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:43 PM   #44
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Quote:

I can see it now....."Hey! Fourteen-scaler! Get away from that water fountain...it's a fifteen-scale fountain only!"
Except that two species do not (and in most cases) can not reproduce sexually. Whereas the arbitrary classification by race has no biological rational.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:50 PM   #45
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, it may not be the most definitive quote by Tolkien on the political aspects of the LotR, but here goes:

"[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (afterthe primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that wihtout the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

I guess this is part of why I have felt the books have made such an impression on me. It is not the lesson that one has to be mighty or bold or well-known to make a difference in life. Frodo and Samwise are "everyman", achievable models of ethical behavior in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds. The actions of the smallest among us can begin events which bring down entire nations. Or preserve them. Wonderful sentiments from a wonderful man. It is a real benefit to society that so many new millions of Tolkien readers will learn this lesson. There will be some that miss it, but the positive lesson won't get by the majority of them.

Oh well, rant off. Still a nice quote.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:05 PM   #46
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, actually, Kevin, there are a good number of closely related fish species which do interbreed when territories overlap. It's distinct species within the same genus, and they do interbreed, and not just infertile hybrids.

Just to be clear: My original point on the race issue is there is only ONE race, and that cosmetic differences make no individual better than any other. For any reason, no human being is inherently better than another for any physical characteristic.

Except if they are Eskimo. [ducks. just kidding! figured there weren't any Inuits in the group...]
Old 01-17-2002, 10:12 PM   #47
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Incidentally, It is my firm belief that all 'negroid' people are inherently evil.
ROTFLMHO

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:17 PM   #48
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yep! And they don't have a sense of humour, either!
Old 01-17-2002, 10:17 PM   #49
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Well, actually, Kevin, there are a good number of closely related fish species which do interbreed when territories overlap. It's distinct species within the same genus, and they do interbreed, and not just infertile hybrids.

Just to be clear: My original point on the race issue is there is only ONE race, and that cosmetic differences make no individual better than any other. For any reason, no human being is inherently better than another for any physical characteristic.

Except if they are Eskimo. [ducks. just kidding! figured there weren't any Inuits in the group...]

the exception proves the rule. Species classification (however inpreice) is a valid form of classification, whereas racially is not - which I think is your point (and mine).

You would be surprised who is Inuits, and that they have Internet Access.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:19 PM   #50
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin McIntyre
You would be surprised who is Inuits, and that they have Internet Access.
I'm from the Rural US, and we connect by Carrier Pigeon.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:26 PM   #51
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

define rural. I live in what is considered rural, but talk about a silly classification - everythings only twenty - thirty minutes from here
Old 01-17-2002, 10:29 PM   #52
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I live in South Dakota...

I'm Vicaraously Rural.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:34 PM   #53
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Wayfarer,

Man, them pigeons of yours must be really fast. Are they related to those Hogwarts owls, by any chance?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:46 PM   #54
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No...

They're Hybridized with Great Eagles.

You wouldn't believe the Packet Size I get on these babies!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:29 PM   #55
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Yep! And they don't have a sense of humour, either!
OOPS!, I forgot to place that in my previous post.

I guess I'm inherently the Lord of Typos.

I drove through S.D. once. It looked the same in all directions.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-17-2002, 11:43 PM   #56
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Afro Elf

Unless you are also an inherent liar about your profile, here's wishing you a happy birthday dude..

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 01-17-2002, 11:50 PM   #57
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks.

Nice having you aboard.

It says you are in Manilla. Are Phillipino?

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-18-2002, 12:00 AM   #58
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Yup..

you can find us just about anywhere you go and in all shapes, sizes, and skin tone.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 01-18-2002, 12:48 AM   #59
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

A large number of your compatriots work here in Saudi.

However, I can only speak to the women when I go to the hospital or clinic.

I'm getting very good and getting vague illnesses.

They ( the women) have it even worse than I do here.

It's really a Nazi Muslim regime here.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-18-2002, 08:03 PM   #60
Nibs Cotton
Sapling

As far as classification,there is only Homo Sapien,but to say there is only one race is absurd thinking,there are many different races,and cultures.To be an idealist is something for future generations to strive for,but lazy in theory.To realize there are many differences in humans,and to try and understand these differences,and to except each culture,is being a realist,and this is much better,and shows greater respect to those you have yet to understand,and learn from.The only problem with being an idealist is,that its foundation is always looking for solutions tomorrow,when the same problem exist today,idealist,also have a habit of using political correctness,to stifle any difference in opinion,or just wave the politcal correctness brush over problems,and saying that the rules are now in place to fix them,when many questions are left unanswered.At first thought it would be neat to have John Lennon as your countries leader,but wouldn't things run much better if Martin Luther King was in charge?Although M.L.K.used idealogy in his speeches,he was a realist when it came to overcoming diversity.A person should never forget his roots.man hasn't for thousands of years,and thousands of years from now,man will still know his origin.The only type of racism,that I believe J.R.R. Tolkien was ever guilty of,is the unknowing kind,simply because of his origin geographically.It was noted by the experts that Tolkien was very fond of Northernness,there is nothing malice in this.Nor did I sense racism,or homosexuality in his work.

no human being is inherently better than another for any physical characteristic.
Except if they are Eskimo. [ducks. just kidding! figured there weren't any Inuits in the group

This bothers me,he puts down a paticular race,then says he is"just kidding",in the belief there aren't any of that race to read his joking statement.What if there were?and could you inject any race into that statement,and it still have the same overtone?I know most will feel that I am going overboard,and maybe so,but would you feel the same way if you were Inupiats,Yupik,or any other proud native of Alaska?And yes I am biased,but it is to a paticular persons thinking process.
Nibs Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote