Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2002, 12:00 PM   #41
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Allright, you have some points, but overall, I still dissagree with you, because:

I compare anakin's 'romance' (if it can be called that) with padme, to Han's romance with leia. Anakin doesn't come out to favorably.

The way leia and han fought and bickered and went back and forth, but fell for eachother anyway, that was briliant.. The way anikin obessed over padme for ten years (since he was 10, which is way to young to start a crush) is kind of disturbing. Granted, that's the point, but I just don't see it as vader-esque. It's just too... petty. Anakin has none of the silent, looming power that vader and palpatine have.

The tusken raiders scene likewise felt incorrect. I suppose this is rather subjective, but it felt like a cheap B-movie, emotionally.

I suppose this is rather subjective of me, but having 'gone over to the dark side' during my teenage years, I don't think that the process is adaquately described in episode two. In fact, i think it was done rather horribly.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:44 AM   #42
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"I compare anakin's 'romance' (if it can be called that) with padme, to Han's romance with leia. Anakin doesn't come out to favorably.

The way leia and han fought and bickered and went back and forth, but fell for eachother anyway, that was briliant.. The way anikin obessed over padme for ten years (since he was 10, which is way to young to start a crush) is kind of disturbing."
Of course. And it should be so... Anakin's not much of a charmer, and I don't think he's meant to be. He gets far too open about his emotions to have any sort of mystique about him like Han did with Leia. It's a completely different approach... or rather, Anakin lacked any sort of approach, and just poured his heart out. It's not like it's never been done.

Quote:
'Granted, that's the point, but I just don't see it as vader-esque. It's just too... petty. Anakin has none of the silent, looming power that vader and palpatine have."
Disagree strongly. Being lazy, I'll just point to the whole sequence with him on Tatooine. Also, of course Anakin doesn't have any commanding presence yet in the same vein as Vader; he's not in a position or rank to do so.

Quote:
"The tusken raiders scene likewise felt incorrect. I suppose this is rather subjective, but it felt like a cheap B-movie, emotionally."
This one, we'll just have to agree to disagree over. You must have seen some pretty damn good cheap B-movies. The swelling score and the closeup of the hatred boiling in his eyes when he realizes, shockingly, that his mother just died in his arms is, I find, one of the emotional pinnacles of the saga (albeit nowhere near the lightsaber duel climaxes of ESB and ROTJ).

Quote:
"I suppose this is rather subjective of me, but having 'gone over to the dark side' during my teenage years, I don't think that the process is adaquately described in episode two. In fact, i think it was done rather horribly."
Then you must have been one of the rare people who did it right...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:05 AM   #43
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Heh.

I suppose it just comes down to subjectivity. I didn't like episode two that much, and anakin was one of the things that especially got to me.

On the other hand... I did like his performance during the first chase scene, and the way he is shown as idolizing palpatine was very good.

One last thing... was it just me, or did Anakin have an accent that made it slightly hard to understand him at times? A sort of slurring of his speech?

Last edited by Wayfarer : 11-19-2002 at 01:06 AM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:32 AM   #44
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"One last thing... was it just me, or did Anakin have an accent that made it slightly hard to understand him at times? A sort of slurring of his speech?"
Not that I noticed. But I'm from Canada, so maybe it didn't strike me as an accent or anything out of the ordinary.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:58 AM   #45
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Probably not, but I WISH THERE WERE!
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:04 PM   #46
Eothain
Enting

Star wars ep-7 9

No.

Where is the hand on the harpsting, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have past like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Frodo lives
Eothain is offline   Reply With Quote