Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #41
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm skipping the Indian mythology-theme, I'm drawing a complete blank on inspiration to write it.

(You'll probably find a lot of errors in the Chinese-themed story, since you're likely to know more about China than me.)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #42
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

*Pops in - not impatient, but curious*

So... Is all still quiet on the Eastern front, so to speak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
(It may also interest you, Jonathan, that one of the next stories I'm writing will be drawing on Chinese mythology.)
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #43
Earniel

Ah, I tarried too long on the Chinese mythology-story (it was harder to write than I thought) so I had to send it in before getting it corrected by my invaluable beta-readers. I haven't heard back whether it was accepted. If so, it'll appear in EMG-zine on the 1st of November.

But as I'm not entirely satisfied with the result, I intend to work it out a wee bit more before getting it checked out and put on Elfwood. (I erronously thought it had to be 2000 words max, instead of 2500, so I cut some material that I now want to re-include to make the story more polished.)

However, the jungle-themed December story is practically finished, and will darken yours and Tessar's inbox soon. It will feature characters that you may find... familiar.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #44
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Oh, that soon? November isn't far away and still, it leaves me plenty of time to beg and/or threaten EMG-zine to accept the story

Quote:
However, the jungle-themed December story is practically finished, and will darken yours and Tessar's inbox soon. It will feature characters that you may find... familiar.
I bet the story's featuring my hero Spider-Man taking on Tessar's role model the Green Lantern!

Either that, or the familiar characters are just the characters from the story "Familiar"

Anyway, looking forward to finding Jumanji in my inbox!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 10-12-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #45
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Oh, that soon? November isn't far away and still, it leaves me plenty of time to beg and/or threaten EMG-zine to accept the story
It won't matter too much if it doesn't get accepted in EMG-zine, as it will appear on Elfwood nevertheless. It all depends on whether other people have send stories in before me. Familiar was declined for August, I reckon because they already had two other stories lined up. And with my habit of sending my entry in, mere hours before the dead-line passes, that should come as no surprise. Still, one declined out of six, that's not too bad a track record. I'm very pleased with my story-output this year.

Quote:
I bet the story's featuring my hero Spider-Man taking on Tessar's role model the Green Lantern!
Alas, no fan-fic allowed. (And while I have a decent grasp on Spider-Man history up until last year, I confess I have not read a single Green Lantern comic.)
Old 10-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #46
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Alas, no fan-fic allowed. (And while I have a decent grasp on Spider-Man history up until last year, I confess I have not read a single Green Lantern comic.)
.... Hi, my name is Tessar, and I officially DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE ANY MORE!!!! *shun*

Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 AM   #47
Earniel

*mopes*

I'll guess that means I'll have to find somebody else for story sneak-previews, then, eh?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #48
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
.... Hi, my name is Tessar, and I officially DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE ANY MORE!!!! *shun*
And now you don't know who I am any more either ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #49
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

OMG. O_o This has gone too far, you guys! I can't handle shunning either of you, much less both.

But seriously. >.< Get thee the heck to thine local comic book store and get some Green Lantern cuz it's awesome.

You can tell I'm really pouring my heart out in this post because I used italics AND bold lettering along with lots of capitalized words. And by lots I mean one, and an abbreviation.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #50
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
You can tell I'm really pouring my heart out in this post because I used italics AND bold lettering along with lots of capitalized words.
Haha! I do the same exact thing in my posts - you know i am really pouring my heart out when i use larger text, Italics, and lots of pastel colors!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #51
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Pardon my ignorance, but is "beta-reader" the same thing as editor/proofreader? I am looking for such a one. It's for a short work of fan fiction taking place in the Second Age with all original characters. Please PM me if interested.

ETA - Some familiarity with Numenorean 'history' and a little working knowledge of Adunaic is prefered.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Last edited by Voronwen : 10-23-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote