Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2002, 07:14 PM   #41
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Eowyn is definately better than Arwen. What did Arwen do when the war of the ring was on? Stayed at home. At least Eowyn had the guts to go out and fight against the dark lord. I know that Aragorn and Arwen's family tree makes them the perfect couple and it probably couldn't be any other way, it would have cool it Aragorn and Eowyn got together.
Why do we tend to go for characters like that? I like her too, but she got seriously hurt.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:42 PM   #42
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Eowyn!

Mainly because Arwen had about zero part in the book, so it's hard to like her - not much personality. Plus I sympathize with Eowyn.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:47 PM   #43
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Eowyn!

Mainly because Arwen had about zero part in the book, so it's hard to like her - not much personality. Plus I sympathize with Eowyn.
You have a point there. She might have been likeable if there ahd been more off her.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-16-2002, 08:49 PM   #44
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*Unleashes some more fire ants*
Old 04-16-2002, 08:50 PM   #45
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Why are you following me?

Old 04-16-2002, 09:38 PM   #46
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i would say Eowyn, because of a few things (shieldmaiden factor, sheer "there"-ness, and movie-Arwen), but Arwen is a really cool character. Compared to Arwen, Eowyn hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell. I mean, look at who her ancestors were, just on her father's mother's side! Luthien Tinuviel. Dior, Heir of Thingol. Melian the Maia. and a bloody Noldorian King, Elu Thingol! (previously known as Elwe). i'm not even going to go into the other side of her family (Galadriel, Finarfin..)!

plus, Arwen is even more beautiful than the Lady Galadriel, and she is sometimes thought to be Luthien Tinuviel, the most beautiful woman ever to walk Arda, returned to life. And she gets to be Queen of Gondor and married to Aragorn. Eowyn? HA! I laugh...mwahahahaha!!!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:54 PM   #47
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yeah, but . . . I don't know, Arwen's just kind of boring. She has no presence, and no problems. I love Eowyn because she's so desperate and strong-willed. She's human (I mean in spirit, not in race), and so much easier to identify with.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:44 PM   #48
TinuvielChild
Padawan

true FF. but what the heck, Arwen is under-represented on this thread I think. so yeah, Eowyn is cool, fiery slay-Ringwraith-y marry-Farawin-y Xena type gal. Arwen is ELVISH!!!!! mwahahahaha...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 01:08 PM   #49
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Elves are cool. But only when they have some interest factor. If they do nothing (as when They are dreaming- Mercedes Lackey reference) they are extremely boring. Why does everyone love the ears? Or is it just the idea of elves?

Old 04-17-2002, 01:58 PM   #50
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Wait until you read the Disc World variant of elves. Uk, scary.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:01 PM   #51
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Wait until you read the Disc World variant of elves. Uk, scary.
I have, they were. They tried to take over Granny's mind, and used mirror magic. They were beaten up when the queen to be put on the helmet of one of the warror queend

Old 04-17-2002, 08:04 PM   #52
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I know Arwen has an awesome ancestory, but doesn't matter to me. I can sympathise with Eowyn cause I would go out to battle like her and I know what it is like to be in love with a guy who doens't want you.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:57 PM   #53
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

What does the ancestory have to do with anything, it doesn't say anything about her.

Old 04-18-2002, 06:04 PM   #54
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

It doesn't necessarily tell you anything but combine it with accounts of her and she is really nilda(sorry elvish). Arwen vanimelda Namárië (LoRI 367)
Wulažg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:10 PM   #55
Bilbo Baggins
Sapling

Strider

I would personally go for someone like Eowyn. Having said that, i am happy with who I have at the moment.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:44 PM   #56
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Eowyn!!!! Duh. Proof!

Book- 1.Ok well you guys all say arwen was going to give up her immotilty for aragorn. EOWYN WAS GOING TO DIE FOR HIM!!! NOT LIVE FOR ANOTHER 121 YEARS AND THEN DIE. INSTENTLY DIE.
2. Who styed at home wif her daddy? WHO RODE IN BATTLE AGENST THE #2 EVIL GUY, AND ALMOST KILLED HERSELF IN THE PROCESS.

Movie- 1. ARWEN STOLE GLORFINDELS PART!!!!! GO GLORFINDEL!!!
2. WHAT IF ARWEN'S CLUMSY LITTLE HAND HAD SLIPPED AN THAT SWORD HAD KILLED ARAGORN?!! SHE HAS GOT TO BE MORE CAREFUL!!
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 10:13 PM   #57
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn_iz_cool
Eowyn!!!! Duh. Proof!

Book- 1.Ok well you guys all say arwen was going to give up her immotilty for aragorn. EOWYN WAS GOING TO DIE FOR HIM!!! NOT LIVE FOR ANOTHER 121 YEARS AND THEN DIE. INSTENTLY DIE.
Hm, but Eowyn didn't really want to die for Aragorn, to me that always just seemed like an afterthought, a plausible excuse. My perception of it has always been that she just wanted to die in general. I think her main objective was not to be forced into the housewife's role, even if the house was the House of Eorl. Aragorn was just the catalyst.

Hm, I dunno, maybe that's just the way I saw it...
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 10:22 PM   #58
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Ah, a quote to back me up...

Quote:
Aragorn: 'I left her desperate in Dunharrow and rode the Pathes of the Dead; and no fear upon that way was so present as the fear for what might befall her. And yet, Eomer, I say to you that she loves you more truely than me; for you she loves and knows; but in me she loves only a shadow and a thought: a hope of glory and great deeds, in lands far from the feilds of Rohan.'
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 11:30 PM   #59
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I don't think anyone ever MEANS to die for someone, it just happens.

Old 04-19-2002, 10:40 PM   #60
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

OK You have a point there. But I bet Arwen only gave up her immortility and married King Elesser so she could be famous for thousands of years to come. And that way more people would admire her "great beuty".
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote