Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2002, 11:34 PM   #41
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

That be true....he wrote a wonderful series about a woman named Sally Lockheart...set in England in...um...1800's? It's been a while....Hey, EG, what were the titles again?
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:30 AM   #42
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

They are set in Victorian England, and are called Ruby in the Smoke, Shadow in the North, and The Tiger in the Well. And he wrote another one about a character from Ruby in the Smoke which takes place quite a few years later, called The Tin Princess. They're all good. Read them, if you haven't!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:48 AM   #43
Eruviel Greenleaf

Phillip Pullman is speaking at Barnes & Noble tues night! (well, the one in Seattle. . .) Hooray!!! Maybe I can get my books signed!!!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-14-2002, 11:01 AM   #44
Garina
Elf Lord

Philip Pullman is brilliant!!! I love His Dark Materials. I read them at a friends house at New Year and have never been able to forget them. I cried at the end too!.

I'm a Christian but I didn't find anything wrong with the books. I know the ideas are 'interesting', but if a book is obviously fantasy I dont care about the mythology. I got a bit confused, but I still really enjoyed them!
I really want to read the Ruby in the Smoke series, but they're not in the libraries and I have no money! oh well christmas isn't too far away. lol
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 04:10 PM   #45
Eruviel Greenleaf

*dances around the room*
Phillip Pullman is coming!

I'm really excited now...

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-19-2002, 02:51 AM   #46
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I love his dark materials and the Sally Lockhart series! I don't know if anyone else has posted this but I just saw (at TheOneRing.net) that the dark materials books might be made into a movie! That would be so good. The link is here
Old 05-19-2002, 04:19 PM   #47
Eruviel Greenleaf

*eek* Well, they did a good job with LotR, so perhaps I ought to have faith that they will do well with this one as well. It's just I've always feared they would make a movie of His Dark Materials, and ruin it. But perhaps not, with this. . .thanks for posting that, cassiopeia!!!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-20-2002, 10:58 PM   #48
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

ooooo....*drools* Tom Stoppard and New Line? okee, i'm not worried! really, EG, Stoppard is awesome (read R&G Are Dead sometime, it's wonderful) and since New Line did LotR...well, that's just cool.
Heh...remember The Golden Compass Disney Style? EEEK!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 05-21-2002, 12:29 AM   #49
Eruviel Greenleaf

Considering our fear-of-Disney conversations, you'd think one would expect pessemism from me

But maybe it will be good. . .who knows. Okay, I'll try to be optimistic

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-09-2002, 05:59 PM   #50
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
The biggest problem with movie version:They have to cut things out, and it always turns out to be someones favorite part.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 03:30 AM   #51
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
The biggest problem with movie version:They have to cut things out, and it always turns out to be someones favorite part.
That always happens. . .*sigh*
But hey, it could always be worse

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 07-01-2002, 01:29 PM   #52
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
Hi! I have read northen Lights & found it wicked! I have started Subtle Knife but I'm finding it harder to get into.any tips???
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:51 PM   #53
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Yep.
Keep reading.
Subtle Knife is a little weirder, but just keep reading and it gets easier. Well, maybe not, but as you read more you understand more. It's very good...personally I like the first one best (it is, as you so eloquently put it, wicked) but the other two are fantastic as well. Happy reading!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 07-11-2002, 10:54 PM   #54
Erendis
Sapling

I love HDM! I made a webpage on it once but I don't remember what happened to it. hhmm...let's see if I can find it...
My cousin gave The Golden Compass to me for Christmas a few years ago but I didn't start reading until the year after. Then I was totally hooked...I got my friend obsessed with the series too.
I heard they might end up not making the movie because that guy (I don't remember his name S---something) had another project. I dunno. *shrugs*
Haiyanna palant?*rina
aldarembie endorillor
Fanoiolosse, len linduvan
nive ear, simen nive earon!
Erendis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 01:35 AM   #55
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Which guy? Not Spielberg? (*gets sudden image of jurassic compass* uh....) I don't really care one way or the other. I mean, it would be kinda fun to see what they did with it, but on the other hand, i'm not clamoring for them to make a movie either. The only thing that really bugs me when books are made into movies are the people who think they know the story just by seeing the movie and not reading the books. I dunno. Anyway. It might be kind of fun anyhow!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 07-12-2002, 01:45 AM   #56
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I think the guy is Tom Stoppard. Check my previous post for the link.

Tano, your not refering to a certain trilogy are you?
Old 07-12-2002, 01:48 AM   #57
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

*eRp* Actually, I wasn't. I was speaking generally. But it's more the people who pretend to know a whole bunch about stuff....and well...nevermind. I think I'll stop before I fall into this hole I'm digging for myself.

AH, right! Stoppard! That was it. Okay. Forget Spielberg, it was just the first name that popped into my head. Yeah. Stoppard's good.

-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 07-12-2002, 08:49 AM   #58
Erendis
Sapling

Yeah...Tom Stoppard...that's the guy. I don't remember where I read teh article about him not making the movie though
Quote:
The only thing that really bugs me when books are made into movies are the people who think they know the story just by seeing the movie and not reading the books
Happens to me all the time. In fact, when one mentioned books in my Grade Seven class, they were looked on as slightly odd. There were three people in my class (including myself) who would take the time to read a book. Drove me insane. . .
Haiyanna palant?*rina
aldarembie endorillor
Fanoiolosse, len linduvan
nive ear, simen nive earon!
Erendis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 09:52 PM   #59
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

i love these books sooo much! they are tied with lotr for my fave books! they are the only books that have ever made me cry!i think Phillip Pullman is brilliant, though i couldn't get into the sally lockhart books.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 01:54 PM   #60
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
How many of them did you read some are really god but one is just strange
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote