Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2003, 12:48 AM   #41
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 03-18-2003 at 12:54 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:04 AM   #42
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Broad coalition?

US, Britain, Australia and a jar of Spanish olives. (no troops)

Quote:
Actually, if I am correct the majority of the UN supports America.
You are not correct.

And even if some of the governments do, as far as the people of the world goes, there is only one country where the population supports the attack on Iraq without a Security Council vote. ( And it's not America. CNN poll 50% against 47% for)

I'm in favour of a war to get rid of Saddam, but the arrogance, clumsiness and outright contempt for everyone else in the world shown by this Administration leaves me with a fairly bleak view of the near future.

Given the mess left behind in Afghanistan, the compulsion to silence any questioning voices (including the head of the US Army) and their eagerness to start handing out the spoils to their campaign contributors, I can't be optimistic about the way they'll handle the aftermath.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:22 AM   #43
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Broad coalition?

A coalition doesn' t have to only provide military support. They can supply bases and give us overflight capabilities too. Also - the MAJORITY of Europe actually supports the US stand. Remember? Chirac told them to "just shutup" because they were stating their support for us.

Quote:

You are not correct.

And even if some of the governments do, as far as the people of the world goes, there is only one country where the population supports the attack on Iraq without a Security Council vote. ( And it's not America. CNN poll 50% against 47% for)
That poll was before France said they were going to veto the resolution no matter what. Things change based on the circumstances.
Quote:

I'm in favour of a war to get rid of Saddam, but the arrogance, clumsiness and outright contempt for everyone else in the world shown by this Administration leaves me with a fairly bleak view of the near future.
Well it took that arogance for the UN weapon inspectors even to go into Iraq. At first the UN wasn't going to do anything. Then the UN finally decided, after we told them that if they weren't going to take it up - that we would - to discuss it. Then Hussein said under no circumstances would he allow weapons inspectors in - so we massed more troops in the area. Then he agreed.

Again - we did NOT have to go to the UN at all. It was not a requirement.
Quote:

Given the mess left behind in Afghanistan, the compulsion to silence any questioning voices (including the head of the US Army) and their eagerness to start handing out the spoils to their campaign contributors, I can't be optimistic about the way they'll handle the aftermath.
Mess??? First of all that war has only been "finished" with for a little over a year. You think it's easy to bring to life a country which has had NOTHING but war for 23 years???? Lived under a fanatical religious tribe - which had executions in their soccer stadium? How did we leave Afganistan a mess - especially since WE ARE STILL there. You really should get your facts right on that one. I guess you feel that the US can just snap it's fingers or wiggle it's nose and everything will be fixed in Afganistan.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:27 AM   #44
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
I think there is a chance of him leaving Iraq - I mean he seems like a coward. If I were in his place, I would leave asap - thousands of american troops ready to take your country in a matter of days.
Unfortunately I don't think he will go into exile as it violates a rather fundemental islamic belief: to defend your religion at all costs when under attack. But you could be right: he strikes me as cowardly.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:30 AM   #45
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Broad coalition?

You are not correct.

You are certainly Ill-informed my friend. Mess in Afghanistan? huh? How can you say that? The country has publicly stated it is better now than it was 6 months ago, the people are free and they are rebuilding with our help, how is that a mess?

I suggest you read up on the UN as well, JD was correct in stating that the majority of the UN was with us, there was just no vote to prove it...

By the way, nice propaganda with your poll stats. I love how you eloquently left out that that is from a poll asking "The U.S. decides NOT to offer the resolution to the United Nations and says it will proceed with military action without any new vote in the U.N." Nice job at providing the whole story, I think that right there lessens your post. However on the converse side you have these two polls to match it:

These are from http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030317.asp

Now, here are some things that could happen with this resolution. For each, say if you would favor or opposing invading Iraq with U.S. ground troops if it happened. How about if – [RANDOM ORDER]?

A. The U.S. offers the resolution to the United Nations and the U.N. approves it?

2003 Mar 14-15
Favor 78%
Oppose 19%
No Opinion 3$

B. The U.S. offers the resolution to the United Nations and the U.N. rejects it

2003 Mar 14-15
Favor 54%
Oppose 43%
No Opinion 3%

C. The U.S. decides NOT to offer the resolution to the United Nations and says it will proceed with military action without any new vote in the U.N.

2003 Mar 14-15
Favor 47%
Oppose 50%
No Opinion 3%

Those were taken before Bush's speech tonight, so naturally that data will change.

As of tonight, here are new figures in polls run:

-Overall, 66% of Americans approve of Bush's decision to go to war unless Saddam Hussein leaves Iraq within 48 hours, while 30% disapprove.

-By a similar margin, 68% to 28%, Americans also say that the United States has done all it can do to solve the crisis with Iraq diplomatically.

-The poll suggests that 44% of Americans have been convinced by the president's arguments, and thus support his decision. Another 21% of Americans are unsure if war is the right thing, but support Bush anyway because he is the president. Thirty percent take an opposing point of view.

-The poll also shows that most people, 70%, are "worried" about the possibility of going to war in the next few days. A bare majority feels "confident," while just under a majority feels "afraid." Only 31% feel "relieved."

Here is the link to the newest polls that I just posted above:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030318.asp
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:37 AM   #46
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Now, here are some things that could happen with this resolution. For each, say if you would favor or opposing invading Iraq with U.S. ground troops if it happened. How about if – [RANDOM ORDER]?

A. The U.S. offers the resolution to the United Nations and the U.N. approves it?

2003 Mar 14-15
Favor 78%
Oppose 19%
No Opinion 3$

B. The U.S. offers the resolution to the United Nations and the U.N. rejects it

2003 Mar 14-15
Favor 54%
Oppose 43%
No Opinion 3%

C. The U.S. decides NOT to offer the resolution to the United Nations and says it will proceed with military action without any new vote in the U.N.

2003 Mar 14-15
Favor 47%
Oppose 50%
No Opinion 3%

Those were taken before Bush's speech tonight, so naturally that data will change.
Yes and the thing is we were going to submit the resolution - but even before it was presented France already said they were vetoing it. So why bother?

To me - France was the one being completely unreasonable. All they wanted to do was drag on the diplomatic wraggling until they got their way. Maybe they thought we'd actually blink - I'm not sure. Maybe Chirac likes the limelight. All I know is that there would have been NO end in sight to make Hussein come clean.

Bush didn't need the resolution because 65% of AMERICANS already support him.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-18-2003, 02:56 AM   #47
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I just wish that that full and unedited/abridged speech could get through to the Iraqi people and soldiers. I doubt that it will though, and that disappoints me.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:58 AM   #48
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
I just wish that that full and unedited/abridged speech could get through to the Iraqi people and soldiers. I doubt that it will though, and that disappoints me.
I'm sure it was broadcast over Voice of America - so they could listen to it over the radio.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-18-2003, 03:03 AM   #49
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Perhaps the news on Channel 7 tonight was just professing doom, but they said there that it's likely that Saddam will put a whole new interpretation on it and parts of it will be edited out when it's played.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:06 AM   #50
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Unfortunately I don't think he will go into exile as it violates a rather fundemental islamic belief: to defend your religion at all costs when under attack. But you could be right: he strikes me as cowardly.
He already has said that he'll fight and die in Iraq.

Historically he has always been after power, in his country and in others, so it would be rather out of character to give up the power he has.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:12 AM   #51
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gray MouserAnd even if some of the governments do, as far as the people of the world goes, there is only one country where the population supports the attack on Iraq without a Security Council vote. ( And it's not America. CNN poll 50% against 47% for)
Those polls are just for viewers of CNN. They always say at the bottom of them that it isn't a government survey or anything, but is a limited group.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:26 AM   #52
jerseydevil

Quote:
Those polls are just for viewers of CNN. They always say at the bottom of them that it isn't a government survey or anything, but is a limited group.
no - the polls that Gray Mouser is quoting are scientific polls. The one's on CNN you're thinking of are like the Wold Blitzer one's where people just vote online. You can look at Gallup Organisation. They're one of the largest polling companies in the country and the one that CNN uses for their scientific polls. The website - in addition to listing a ton of polls - also explains how polls are conducted.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-18-2003, 06:21 AM   #53
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

It is really sad that the UN didn't manage to reach an agreement. The resolution should have been voted for. I don't see why the USA were pulling out. If France had really vetoed it, they would have been left with the blame, but now the USA also must bear the responsibility.

The UN has failed.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:04 AM   #54
Baby-K
Corruptor

I'm so sad about this war Such a waste..............so many innocent people who will be killed Hopefully it will be over very fast & the losses will be minimal.

Strikes me as strange that a few of the "good Christians" here (and across the world) would support such a thing............yet another reason for me to rather not call myself one

Last edited by Baby-K : 03-18-2003 at 07:12 AM.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:02 AM   #55
Draken
Elf Lord

I don't think Hussein will leave because I think he honestly believes he will win. He believes he won the Iran-Iraq war and he believes he sort of won in 1991. He seems to be surrounded by yes men who reinforce his beliefs of invincibility and popular support (if they value their lives they do at least!).

Thankfully Iraqi military strategy seems stuck at about WW1, relying on earth works with tanks often dug into defensive positions and used as mobile bunkers. Perhaps this isn't such a bad idea as moving armour in the face of Allied control of the air would be near-suicidal. The Iraqis will probably try and halt an invasion with largely static defences ill-equipped to deal with special forces and highly mobile armoured divisions.

Hopefully the Iraqi army will collapse soon after the first attacks and there won't be many casualties. My real worry is that they'll see themselves as fighting for their homeland and not the nutter in charge of it. The nightmare scenario would be desperately partisan Iraqi forces falling back into the hills and towns, avoiding set-piece battles and fighting house by house, valley by valley. That would cause a lot of casualties. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:34 AM   #56
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I think the Purim timing is ironic by the way because Purim is about God's constant subtle manipulation of history. I certainly don't think this war is "divinely inspired" (well I suppose in some sense it is, provided you believe in God), but I'm sure there are Rabbis here and there who would say this is a just reward for someone who is a modern Haman in every sense.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:45 AM   #57
Sween
im quite stupid

So it has come to war ! Cannot say im happy or i agree with it. But to all nations service men and women (evens Iraqs) i hope that it ends with as little killing as possiable. A special mention to my good friends Burty, John, Kevin, little jepson and jennys Bf who have all been called up to fight in the war i be thinking of you all!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:25 AM   #58
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
I don't think Hussein will leave because I think he honestly believes he will win.
I dont see how he could possibly be this stupid. Hes got to know sooner or later its over for him. He will not win. And this is what scares me because I think this makes it more likely he will do what he can to royally screw things up before hes finally taken down whether its gassing his own people. Launching who knows what on Israel. Dressing up as American/British troops and spraying his own citizens with bullets. Burning his own oil fields. poisoning his own water. Who knows.

Quote:
I dont think he gives a hoot at all about religion its all for show. All he cares about is bettering himself.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:30 AM   #59
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
He already has said that he'll fight and die in Iraq.

Historically he has always been after power, in his country and in others, so it would be rather out of character to give up the power he has.
I agree with Lief. Saddam is a power-hungry maniac. I doubt he'll give up his power willingly, even to save his own skin.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 12:19 PM   #60
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dúnedain
[B]You are certainly Ill-informed my friend. Mess in Afghanistan? huh? How can you say that? The country has publicly stated it is better now than it was 6 months ago, the people are free and they are rebuilding with our help, how is that a mess? [quote]

If by "the countryhas publicly stated", you are referring to the visit of President Karzai to Washington at the beginning of this month, it must be pointed out that he was in something of a delicate position. The Bush Administration had made it perfectly clear it didn't want to hear any bad news that might cast a shadow on its plans for war in Iraq, and Karzai himself had to walk a fine line between boosting signs of progress while pointing out how much still needed to be done, in hopes that the aid that was promised was actually delivered- in the draft budget sent to Congress by Bush there was exactly $0 in aid for rebuilding Afghanistan- not one thin dime; the Administration spokesman's excuse was that they weren't sure it was really needed.

Karzai is essentially Mayor of Kabul, the provinces are in the hands of the warlords, many of them Islamic fundamentalists who are busy turning back to the days of the Taliban: enforcing the burqa, closing schools for girls, executing and torturing at will etc..

Quote:
A conference that was held last year in Tokyo to raise funds for Afghanistan produced commitments of some $4.5 billion. In practice, less than one-third of that amount was made available. Against the background of the threatened war against Iraq, Afghanistan is unlikely to receive the missing funds or get new aid. In the absence of a budget, the government will not be able to compete with the tribal chieftains, local bosses and warlords who are imposing their rule on the majority of Afghanistan's provinces without regard for the government.

A soldier in the new Afghan army, which was trained by the Americans and the Germans, gets a monthly wage of $50. A fighter in the ranks of the private militia of the Kandahar governor, Khan Mohammed, earns $120 a month. And this is not the only competition the government finds itself involved in. The Central Intelligence Agency pays far larger amounts to militiamen who take part in the unceasing pursuits of Al-Qaida men.

It turns out that not even the Americans can always buy assistance with money. In the northern city of Konduz, where local militias are operating alongside the Americans under the command of a local leader, Daoud Khan, it emerged that the militiamen, who received salaries from the Americans, concealed wanted Taliban men.

The direct control of the government, which consists of 32 ministries in order to placate all the factions, is confined only to the boundaries of Kabul. Attempts by Karzai to oblige the provincial governors to transfer to the central government the revenues they collect from taxes encounter total refusal.
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pa...ID=0&listSrc=Y

On the bright side, the opium economy is booming; Afghanistan is now back to being the number one heroin producer in the world; unfortunately the money from that goes straight into the pockets of the local warlords.

The one thing that Karzai and those trying to re-establish civil government have been pleading for from day one has been the expansion of the International Security Force and that has been the one thing the U.S. has firmly opposed; the Pentagon prefers to work with the warlords without worrying about international observers or interference.

I call that a mess.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote