Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2001, 09:10 PM   #41
Tai daishar

Re: The Wheel of Time

When I had a job, I used to go to the used book store, and just buy books that I've never heard of, so I could read 'em, and see what they're like.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:04 PM   #42
Lief Erikson

Any ideas as to where I could buy 'The Crown of Swords?'
Old 03-23-2001, 03:54 AM   #43
Tai daishar

I was at the local Barnes and Noble, and they had it there in paperback. Most book stores should have it, I whould think.
Old 03-26-2001, 11:00 PM   #44
Lief Erikson

I hope so, but I'm getting through The Lord of Chaos at a lightning rate. I'm just hoping I don't have to wait too long. (Shrugs)
Old 04-01-2001, 11:33 PM   #45
Tai daishar

Lord of Chaos was my favorite.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:12 AM   #46
Lief Erikson

It's my favorite too, so far as I've gotten.
Old 04-05-2001, 03:53 AM   #47
Tai daishar

The end is just plain awesome, but I'll refrain from saying anymore, so I don't give anything away.
Old 04-05-2001, 05:11 AM   #48
Lief Erikson

Is there anyone here who shouldn't hear? Oh well, there easily could be. And I am pretty sure I know what you're talking about anyway. I found the end awesome as well. Some very cool plot twists, and a great last battle. Even if it doesn't involve one of the . . . ahem, I won't give a spoiler. You know who I'm talking about anyway, I'm pretty sure.
Old 04-08-2001, 10:40 PM   #49
Tai daishar

Yup, I know what you mean exactly.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:35 PM   #50
Lief Erikson

They're at the end of most last battles, now that Baal-zamon has stopped his rampages. I'm getting pretty far into The Crown of Swords, and I'm very interested in the Ebou Dar scenes with Nynaeve and Elayne. I'm hoping that in the end they will find and keep what they're looking for. And I really wish I knew what that bargain they made with the Sea Folk was.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:27 PM   #51
Tai daishar

It doesn't tell you? I think you find out later, then. I'm starting to forget a lot of what happened, but I seem to recall knowing some of the terms, but I won't say anything about them.
Old 04-13-2001, 02:09 AM   #52
Lief Erikson

Okay, where I am now, near the end of he book, they are about to find what they've been looking for. Finally some nice turns for the good guys, especially involving Nynaeve and their new allies. This is making me happy.
Old 04-17-2001, 02:46 AM   #53
easterlinge

i dunno... for me the series sort of went downhill after Lord of Chaos. The three ta'veren are as powerful as they can ever be. Rand's master of the Aiel, Tear, Illian, Cairhien. What's a few Windfinders and a few more nations? He's just too powerful to be interesting to me now.

My favourite part is when Rand went to the Aiel Waste to prove he is the Car'a'carn, and reveals the truth about the Aiel (Book 4, Shadow Rising). The Age of Legends and the story of the Breaking were very interesting.

I just don't like my heroes too powerful.

Robert Jordan's been laying the political intrigue thickly the last few books. I hope the next ones will actually see something happening.

I think Jordan did what Tolkien did, in the sense that he borrowed a lot from existing human mythology and culture. The Aiel warrior societies are just adapted from Native American warrior societies of the Plains Tribes.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:38 AM   #54
Lief Erikson

I agree with you about the similarity of the Aiel and the Indians. But the rest of your post I can't say I do. I've finished The Crown of Swords now, but I've been enjoying them every step of the way. Except perhaps I got a little tired of some of the Elayne and Nynaeve scenes in the last couple books. When they were out trying to hunt down the black sisters, the stuff happening with Rand seemed much more interesting.

I've started The Path of Daggers now, and am trying to buy Winter's Heart. Are there any books in between those two?
Old 04-18-2001, 08:24 AM   #55
easterlinge

Can't help noticing a lot of similarities between Robert Jordan's Aiel and Frank Herbert's Fremen.

How many Forsaken are there left? Rand's been killing them at the rate of one or so per book, but I hear that Osan'gar and Arangar are resurrected Forsaken. One of them got killed in Winter's heart, I think.

I've not seen any Trollocs or Myrdraals for a while. What's going on? Are they mustering?
Old 04-18-2001, 09:15 PM   #56
Lief Erikson

No idea. But it is my opinion that new Forsaken are being chosen by the Dark One. I've contacted a couple people who seem rather suspicious. Don't tell me if I'm right or not, and don't give away anything from The Winter's Heart as yet. I haven't read it yet.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:23 PM   #57
Tai daishar

Wanna know some thing scary? In a couple months I'll be going to a place called Myrdal.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:26 PM   #58
Lief Erikson

You're WHAT!

May the Force be with you. You'll definitely be needing it on this one.

By the way, I figured out where you got your name from. Are you especially fond of horses, or was this simply the fist thing that came to mind?
Old 04-21-2001, 07:51 PM   #59
Tai daishar

Horses are pretty cool, but really, it was just the name. The fact that it was a horse's name didn't really cross my mind.

Yeah, and a little while after I'm in Myrdal, I'll be staying in Hotel Borg.
Old 04-21-2001, 08:37 PM   #60
Lief Erikson

:lol: Interesting coincidence. I wonder who'll get you first.

But where have you been going to pass through all these interesting places? Are you on a trip to Colorado, or a spree of places to celebrate a birthday party?