Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #41
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Hey, can someone tell me what exactly is in HoME 12? It's the only one I haven't been able to find in a library...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #42
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

The Peoples of Middle-earth.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #43
Maerbenn
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Hey, can someone tell me what exactly is in HoME 12? It's the only one I haven't been able to find in a library...
How about a scan of the Table of Contents?

http://lookinside2-images.amazon.com...5BaBsYontz5r7i
http://lookinside2-images.amazon.com...SKWN5IXQRvuYMB
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:36 AM   #44
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Thanks for telling me, but now I have it so you can stop telling me!
d'you mean you got Silm? If so, that's great! It's by far the best book Tolkein has ever written
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:32 AM   #45
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
The Peoples of Middle-earth.
ha ha ha. Show off.

Thank you, Maerbenn. You're more helpful than this clown.

I concur, Lenya.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 01-28-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:55 AM   #46
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

HoME12 (PoME) is fabulous! Worth getting for the Shibboleth of Fëanor alone!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #47
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

The Shibboleth. That's what I want.

I'll have my friend order it as soon as possible (I'm beginning to amass a collection... just bought the Letters... )

So, RÃ*an, I've heard a bit about the Shibboleth. What exactly is it?

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #48
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
It sounds like another language or something, Shibboleth??
Old 01-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #49
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I looked it up after I found out about it, it's Hebrew and means: "A word or pronunciation that distinguishes people of one group or class from those of another."

Oh, RÃ*an...

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #50
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

me don't get it
Old 01-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #51
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i thought it sounded Yiddish, and i was right.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #52
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Fascinating word - "Shibboleth" is actually a Hebrew word, apparently meaning "stream" (of water) - I just asked Rad about it and am waiting to hear back (I just heard from him - he said it means "ear", like ear of grain! So much for my dictionary! ). But the larger meaning, and the meaning of the word in "The Shibboleth of Fëanor", is a test word to tell what region a person is from, depending upon how they pronounce it.

In the story in the Bible, the men of Gilead were fighting the men of Ephraim, and the Gileadites captured the fords of the Jordan river opposite Ephraim. And when the fugitives from Ephraim tried to cross the river to escape, the Gileadites would ask them if they were from Ephraim. If they said, "No," then they were asked to say, "Shibboleth". If they were really from Ephraim (and they were lying about it), they would say "Sibboleth", because they couldn't pronounce the "sh" sound correctly, and they would get killed! Totally Monty-Python-esq! So a "shibboleth" is a test word or a password, or even a phrase, custom, etc. distinctive of a particular class, group, etc.

So the Shibboleth of Fëanor is about the "s" vs. the "thorn" sound of the "s" (the Þ sound, which is kind of a soft "th"). MÃ*riel, Fëanor's mother, preferred the Þ sound and stuck to it, even when the Noldor switched to the s sound. Indis, Finwë's second wife, switched to the s sound in loyalty to Finwë, even though her people used the Þ sound, and Fëanor took this (wrongly) as a slight to MÃ*riel. Anyway, a fascinating discussion of language and people!

See, El, I wasn't pullin' your leg! It just took me a while to type this in!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 01-28-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #53
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

i didn't understand any of that. but thats okay
Old 01-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #54
Rían

Just read it again, Italianlegolas. It looks like you're from the US. It's like if you went to Germany and they asked you to say "Ich", you would have trouble with the German "ch" sound (made in the back of the throat), which is a non-American-English sound. They could tell you were not a German by having you try to say only one word - "ich". So that would be a Shibboleth.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #55
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Fascinating word - "Shibboleth" is actually a Hebrew word, apparently meaning "stream" (of water) - I just asked Rad about it and am waiting to hear back (I just heard from him - he said it means "ear", like ear of grain! So much for my dictionary! ). But the larger meaning, and the meaning of the word in "The Shibboleth of Fëanor", is a test word to tell what region a person is from, depending upon how they pronounce it.

In the story in the Bible, the men of Gilead were fighting the men of Ephraim, and the Gileadites captured the fords of the Jordan river opposite Ephraim. And when the fugitives from Ephraim tried to cross the river to escape, the Gileadites would ask them if they were from Ephraim. If they said, "No," then they were asked to say, "Shibboleth". If they were really from Ephraim (and they were lying about it), they would say "Sibboleth", because they couldn't pronounce the "sh" sound correctly, and they would get killed! Totally Monty-Python-esq! So a "shibboleth" is a test word or a password, or even a phrase, custom, etc. distinctive of a particular class, group, etc.

So the Shibboleth of Fëanor is about the "s" vs. the "thorn" sound of the "s" (the Þ sound, which is kind of a soft "th"). MÃ*riel, Fëanor's mother, preferred the Þ sound and stuck to it, even when the Noldor switched to the s sound. Indis, Finwë's second wife, switched to the s sound in loyalty to Finwë, even though her people used the Þ sound, and Fëanor took this (wrongly) as a slight to MÃ*riel. Anyway, a fascinating discussion of language and people!

See, El, I wasn't pullin' your leg! It just took me a while to type this in!
Fascinating. And you're right, that did sound kind of Monty Python-esque!

So, the Shibboleth is about language, then? *getting more interested by the minute* I'm assuming it's written in essay format (opposed to, say, something character driven like the Athrabeth). I heard, but I'm not sure, that somewhere in the PoME (most likely the Shibboleth) were more character descriptions... such as those of the Fëanorions...)

And poor Indis. That really was a mess, wasn't it?

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-28-2005, 07:00 PM   #56
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
In the story in the Bible, the men of Gilead were fighting the men of Ephraim, and the Gileadites captured the fords of the Jordan river opposite Ephraim. And when the fugitives from Ephraim tried to cross the river to escape, the Gileadites would ask them if they were from Ephraim. If they said, "No," then they were asked to say, "Shibboleth". If they were really from Ephraim (and they were lying about it), they would say "Sibboleth", because they couldn't pronounce the "sh" sound correctly, and they would get killed!..
Yes - some interesting Bible trivia. In fact, they wiped them out so badly, there were just a few hundred of their men left - and then they regretted practically annihilating one of their own tribes! Now, they had all sworn not to give their daughters to be one of their wives, but they finally figured out that to get wives for them, they could... well, maybe you should just read it - along toward the very end of the Book of Judges.

Rian - I didn't check yet, but WAS it the Ephraimites? I was thinking the Benjamites... but I COULD be wrong.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #57
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Quote:
Just read it again, Italianlegolas. It looks like you're from the US. It's like if you went to Germany and they asked you to say "Ich", you would have trouble with the German "ch" sound (made in the back of the throat), which is a non-American-English sound. They could tell you were not a German by having you try to say only one word - "ich". So that would be a Shibboleth.

oh I get it now, but I can say "Ich" as in "Ich Will"
Old 01-28-2005, 08:57 PM   #58
Rían

Italian - That's good that you can, but a lot of people can't manage the gutteral "ch" sound. But I think you get the idea.

I took German for 2 years with a teacher that took a lot of pains with our accent. Also, I'm good at math and music, and those things tend to go with language. So my crowning glory moment in languages was when I was in Switzerland, and I greeted a storekeeper in German, and she thought I was German!! *beams with pride*

Val - yes, it's the Ephs. - got my trusty NASB right here *pats her trusty Bible* Doesn't that remind you of the Monty Python bridge scene a little?

El - it is SUCH a cool story - one of my two favorites in the HoME books (the other being the Athrabeth). It's about language, but it's in the format of someone explaining how the language changed and its effects on the people, esp. the family of Finwë, and has lots of fascinating little tidbits, like how Fëanor "accidentally" killed his youngest son! . It has lots of info on names, and how names in Quenya were converted to Sindarin, and lots of other linguistic info put into fascinating little character sketches.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:04 PM   #59
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Now, they had all sworn not to give their daughters to be one of their wives, but they finally figured out that to get wives for them, they could... well, maybe you should just read it - along toward the very end of the Book of Judges.
The dangers of dancing!

THAT was the Bens, the other was the Ephs.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #60
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Also, I'm good at math and music, and those things tend to go with language.
Hey, I never thought of that... Hm, I guess it's true with me too...

Quote:
El - it is SUCH a cool story - one of my two favorites in the HoME books (the other being the Athrabeth). It's about language, but it's in the format of someone explaining how the language changed and its effects on the people, esp. the family of Finwë, and has lots of fascinating little tidbits, like how Fëanor "accidentally" killed his youngest son! . It has lots of info on names, and how names in Quenya were converted to Sindarin, and lots of other linguistic info put into fascinating little character sketches.
That's it. I'm getting it as soon as possible.

The Athrabeth is certainly my favourite. So far, at least.

Neil Gaiman