Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2004, 05:11 PM   #41
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

EVIDENCE that ungoliant is 30 feet. and quates from tolkien books oher wise i wont be conveinced.
Lord Manafirogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:53 PM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Manafirogh
EVIDENCE that ungoliant is 30 feet. and quates from tolkien books oher wise i wont be conveinced.
I don't believe that Tolkien states in any of the books the exact size of Ungoliant. The text does indicate that she grew in great size when she ate and that she always hungered for more. So, the logical assumption is, that she was always hungry and eating, which means she was always growing. Now, was her expansion in size temporary? Did she shrink back to a smaller size after digestion? What? I have to agree with Wayfarer here. Nomatterwhat, she was large and 1000 arrows would not kill her, and after a good meal of elf, gems, trees, or whatever, she was even larger than the Tolkien average spider.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #43
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

i dissagree. clearly there is no quotes saying that a arrow could not pierce her body and that she was 30 feet. i do agree she was not an average spider like shelob but she cant have been more then twice her size and i some how dout that 1000 arrows hitting her body which at least 50 would hit her head cannot kill that. unless some one can give some evidence that she could not be killed by arrows i cannot be convienced. Say they were aiming for her head and legs even there the arrows could not peirce and cause her to die from losing blood and blinded possibly by arrows on her eyes? i dont think ur concedering how much 1000 arrows are. 100 arrows on her head would totally destroye her head. say the other 900 hit her body.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #44
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

That's all good and well, but you haven't given any reasons for thinking that- just arbitrary statements. There are logical reasons for thinking Ungoliant would have been able to weather if not shrug off such an attack.

Shelob, one of Ungoliant's descendants, had a hide so thick that she was well-nigh invulnerable to attack. The only time she was ever wounded was by throwing her weight down onto the point of a sword.

Taking the eminently reasonable assumption that Ungoliant was much larger and more powerful than Shelob, I don't see any reason to think that arrows would somehow magically pierce her incredibly thick hide.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #45
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Her head isn't protected. her eyes are vunrable to arrows there she would be blinded by arrows and would know wot she was doing. If the archers were good enough and aimed for her head or mouth which isnt too hard because she has a big head anyway, she would be blinded and bleed to death. Im convienced. For me ungoliant has done nothing but drink form helpless trees and grow into a big fat spider. The only thing good she did was scare morgoth and who knows maybe morgoth was scared of spiders .
Old 01-17-2004, 05:53 PM   #46
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

when dragons are at full strenght of hide arrows cant pierce them (except for smaug who had a weakspot). And tolkien says that unlike dragons Shelob had no weakspot so even she couldnt be pierced by an arrow. So Ungoliant who was much more larger and powerful would never be hurt by such a feeble attack to her.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #47
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

and no doubt ungoliant would be smart enough to protect her eyes with her forelegs as i reckon that would be her only weakspot. As for her mouth it was more of a beak as hard as steel.