Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #441
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

TD - I see you've posted... thank you! I finally made an over-due update to the assignment log.

OK everyone, we're getting close to the end of initial chapter posts. In fact - we have only three "story assignments" left - before we wrap things up with four "appendix assignments"

The very next story assignment is to a member who just hasn't been around for a good while. Almost two years, I think. I would like to ask who's willing to take it. I would prefer to give it to someone who hasn't taken one yet - and there are several newer members who have been active in discussion, to whom this would apply. Anyone interested? We would like to have it posted on or about June 5th.

Chapters in the assignment are: "The Field of Cormallen" and "The Steward and the King" - good stuff...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #442
Landroval
Elven Warrior

I would like to get involved, if there aren't enough volunteers.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #443
Valandil

OK Landroval, since you've successfully fought off everyone else interested in taking those chapters ( ), please go ahead and consider the assignment yours! And thank you!

Can you make June 5?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 05-20-2006, 07:26 AM   #444
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Yes I can. Thank you too .
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #445
Valandil

Thank you for posting your assignment, Finrod.

Wow! We're almost all the way through this. Of course - we should certainly see this Discussion Project as an ongoing thing. Feel free to post in any of the threads in the DP sub-forum, everyone.

Nurvingiel - are you set to go with your assignment? It will be the final "story" assignment, before we get into the (4) appendix assignments.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 07-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #446
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

almost all the way done ..wow! (seriously) what an outstanding achievment!

big ups for Azalea and Val for giving their time to such a genuinely worthwhile project.

speaking seriously indeed , i think JRR Tolkien would be tickled pink to see his work inspire so many people from all around the world, and inspire so much thought and love.

sincerely, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-26-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #447
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

val, next chapter ain't up yet.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #448
Valandil

Hear Ye, Hear ye!

Nurvingiel has contacted me. She has moved and doesn't have much internet access now. She expects to get it on August 17 at her new place - and it seems like she still wants to take that assignment. She says she can post it that day. It looks like that's the way we'll go.

I will update the schedule on the second post of this thread.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #449
Valandil

Sorry all, but I'll be a few days late with Appendix B.

Meanwhile, post something about the Rohirrim or Dwarves in the Appendix A - Parts 2 & 3 thread!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 11-03-2006, 05:20 AM   #450
Valandil

I posted Appendix B last night. Going at three week intervals, that would make November 23 the due date for our final assignment - Appendix D. However - that happens to be Thanksgiving Day - a national holiday here in the US. So I set the "due date" for the assignment on the following Monday (Nov 27th) - but I'm also giving Forkbeard the option to post as much as a week sooner (Monday, Nov 20th) - if he'd rather get it out of the way before the holiday weekend.

I don't necessarily expect a whole lot of discussion on Appendix B anyway.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #451
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I posted Appendix B last night. Going at three week intervals, that would make November 23 the due date for our final assignment - Appendix D. However - that happens to be Thanksgiving Day - a national holiday here in the US. So I set the "due date" for the assignment on the following Monday (Nov 27th) - but I'm also giving Forkbeard the option to post as much as a week sooner (Monday, Nov 20th) - if he'd rather get it out of the way before the holiday weekend.

I don't necessarily expect a whole lot of discussion on Appendix B anyway.
And FB decided to be a week late! But I'm posting it now!
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #452
Valandil

Thank you though - Forkbeard!

Well... that puts a wrap on our long-running "LOTR Discussion Project".

I'll keep the "Appendix D" thread up until sometime around Christmas and New Years - then tuck that and this into the sub-forum with the rest, where all will be available for further review and commentary.

Thanks so much to all who participated. Special thanks to all those who posted chapter introductions along the way (and there are too many to name right now - but we'll get to that). BIG thanks to Azalea - for getting this off the ground to begin with.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #453
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Thank you though - Forkbeard!

Well... that puts a wrap on our long-running "LOTR Discussion Project".

I'll keep the "Appendix D" thread up until sometime around Christmas and New Years - then tuck that and this into the sub-forum with the rest, where all will be available for further review and commentary.

Thanks so much to all who participated. Special thanks to all those who posted chapter introductions along the way (and there are too many to name right now - but we'll get to that). BIG thanks to Azalea - for getting this off the ground to begin with.
Well, this might be a bit premature, if you don't mind a little pedantry. I was just looking at the last few threads in the discussion and I noted that Appendix B-D were to be discussed together, but it was only Appendix B that was posted back in Nov. I THOUGHT that I was doing Appendix D, E, and F in 2 separate units (haven't gotten around to E&F yet but will this coming week), but I posted D on the 4th. So we have E&F yet to go! If anyone is interested that is....

Oh, and C....
Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #454
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkbeard
Well, this might be a bit premature, if you don't mind a little pedantry. I was just looking at the last few threads in the discussion and I noted that Appendix B-D were to be discussed together, but it was only Appendix B that was posted back in Nov. I THOUGHT that I was doing Appendix D, E, and F in 2 separate units (haven't gotten around to E&F yet but will this coming week), but I posted D on the 4th. So we have E&F yet to go! If anyone is interested that is....

Oh, and C....
OOOPS! I totally misremembered how the last few assignments were laid out!

I went on memory alone (increasingly foggy - I keep finding more and more) - thinking I had B, you had D - and that we just weren't doing the others.

But I see that you're right.

So I was supposed to do D and made YOU do it! I think I'll go crawl away somewhere...

Actually - while you work up Appendix E & F, I'll try to add significant commentary to D - and I'll make something about C for good measure... just so this DP of ours is totally comprehensive.

Sorry again folks.

And I guess we'll be slightly postponing our "Wrap Party" on the project...

* removes Elendilmir ringlet from head, replaces it with Duncendilmir Cap *

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 12-16-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #455
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

If there's something left to write a intro for, I don't mind helping out. (God knows I need to read up and catch up on a lot of chapters yet.)
Old 01-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #456
azalea
Long lost mooter

Hah, hah, and I'd just come on to say a few words! I'll have enough to keep me busy catching up with reading all of the threads I've missed. And if you need help finishing up anything, I can do that, as I'm on semi-vacation for the next week.

This'll also give me time to formulate a fitting "speech," to which I know you will all be looking forward.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #457
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Posting the last summary of the last appendices!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #458
Valandil

Thank you Forkbeard. Sorry for the delay in getting it "stickied"... I've been away for a week.

I will also attempt to add something significant to the Appendix D section in weeks to come, since I accidentally got you to do it for me (which I still appreciate very much, even while being embarrassed about it).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 01-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #459
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

So, it seems, all the LOTR has been discussed - complete with the Appendices. What next?

I propose to continue with the Unfinished Tales, starting with those most related to LOTR - the Hunt for the Ring, The Fords of Isen, Cirion and Eorl, the Gladden fields

What do you think?
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #460
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

There's still the Hobbit to do as well. Or would it be more appropriate to wait with that until the slated movies come closer?