Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #401
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Dancing girls for the professors every night? Now that would be awkward...

Funny though.
I think the dancers perform only for an exclusive group of professors.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:52 PM   #402
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I should hope so! Really, you boys! Never giving a thought for the feelings of your female colleagues.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-07-2005, 02:13 AM   #403
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Eärniel and Maggie - Please let me know of any edits you would like I thought it might be a good time to go to Eärniel's place now - I know you wanted to post that, Eärniel, so please go ahead. Maggie - I left it up to you if you want Mahtaliel to come or not. Either way, she's meeting with RÃ*an at 9:00, right? Is that at her office?

I think it was Gordis that asked me to pick up with Arastud and Zimra - I've done it now Let me know if it's ok with you guys, I put in a bit of vague doubt as to the household, but explained away by a "maybe that's how the higher-up people just do things" kind of feeling.
EDIT - I think I messed up the order of some of Arastud's activities - I'll check it tomorrow.

I can't wait for the race!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

2 general points I wanted to cover -

1. I didn't even realize what day it was until we started posting day info at the top of our posts - I really like that! Now, are classes starting this day (Monday) or is it later? Could you guys please clarify that? Thanks

2. I would like to make a formal request that no one else besides the elves of Gondolin and Prof. M. understand the dialect of Gondolin, for two reasons:
a) it is an extremely reasonable thing to have be the case, especially with humans, as it was a dialect specific to a secret elven city that was destroyed over 3,000 years ago. The closest that one of the undead human Nazgul could come to it would be that they were born about 1,500 years AFTER the destruction of the city. (all dates approximate, as JRRT has quite a few different dates for his various events!) Most of the elves of Gondolin were killed, and most of the remnant have left Middle Earth by our rpg time.
b) I think it is a fair request to let them have a dialect to speak in that is unknown to others (since they don't have thought-communication, which is even better!) - we've already granted the Nazgul many supernatural powers that our elves don't even know about, and granted that we won't spring any Calaquendi elves on the Nazgul, and other such things.

Anyway, could you guys please post your thoughts on these two things - thanks

ALSO - I think we have a general consensus on the previous 6 questions - very limited animal reaction; limited memory-wipe powers; memory able to be restored but is difficult; some cost to expending powers; thought implant to direct others to do something difficult and depends upon person's inclination. I think that was pretty much it - let me know if you guys think differently.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-07-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:10 AM   #404
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Eärniel and Maggie - Please let me know of any edits you would like I thought it might be a good time to go to Eärniel's place now - I know you wanted to post that, Eärniel, so please go ahead. Maggie - I left it up to you if you want Mahtaliel to come or not. Either way, she's meeting with RÃ*an at 9:00, right? Is that at her office?
I PM'd you about it. Then I'll post Eärniel's conversation with Itazel and Danor.

Also; could somebody post some info on the Guild of Predators in the Info Thread? That would be very helpful. And perhaps Butterbeer can add Tolvadok in post #5 where all the different nazgul are mentioned.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:30 AM   #405
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Orrodel plan

Ground floor
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/orrodel1.jpg
First Floor
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/orrodel2.jpg
Second Floor
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/orrodel3.jpg

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

And here is the corrected map of Tharbad, to use instead of this map
3. A wider view of the City of Tharbad
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/Tharbad8.jpg

BB Please put it all into the Info thread, when all say OK
Please note, do not take down map links 1 and 2, they are correct. Change ONLY #3. A wider view of the City of Tharbad
And please add three maps of Orrodel.
Well - a few little comments on the plan - all on the Ground Floor:

* Suggest moving the Kitchen to take the nearer half of the service wing. Kitchens were usually removed from the rest of a complex - often even a separate building.
* Suggest moving the Dining Room to the current Kitchen space - that gives it a nice prominent location - and would make the Dining Room adjacent to the Kitchen (for ease of bringing food from one to the other -and making sure it stays warm).
* Suggest perhaps moving the Sitting Room into the current Dining Room space.
* Suggest adding a Library or something into the current Sitting Room space.

Sorry to be critiquing this one things so much.

But I'm an architect.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 11-07-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:36 AM   #406
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
I think it was Gordis that asked me to pick up with Arastud and Zimra - I've done it now Let me know if it's ok with you guys, I put in a bit of vague doubt as to the household, but explained away by a "maybe that's how the higher-up people just do things" kind of feeling.
EDIT - I think I messed up the order of some of Arastud's activities - I'll check it tomorrow.
Yes, thank you, Rian. Nice post, though I believe the wheel thing and the climbing thing was before Melwen came to the stables. And both activities are hardly an alibi - no one saw them do what they sid they did.

Quote:
2 general points I wanted to cover -

1. I didn't even realize what day it was until we started posting day info at the top of our posts - I really like that! Now, are classes starting this day (Monday) or is it later? Could you guys please clarify that? Thanks

2. I would like to make a formal request that no one else besides the elves of Gondolin and Prof. M. understand the dialect of Gondolin, for two reasons:
a) it is an extremely reasonable thing to have be the case, especially with humans, as it was a dialect specific to a secret elven city that was destroyed over 3,000 years ago. The closest that one of the undead human Nazgul could come to it would be that they were born about 1,500 years AFTER the destruction of the city. (all dates approximate, as JRRT has quite a few different dates for his various events!) Most of the elves of Gondolin were killed, and most of the remnant have left Middle Earth by our rpg time.
b) I think it is a fair request to let them have a dialect to speak in that is unknown to others (since they don't have thought-communication, which is even better!) - we've already granted the Nazgul many supernatural powers that our elves don't even know about, and granted that we won't spring any Calaquendi elves on the Nazgul, and other such things.
Anyway, could you guys please post your thoughts on these two things - thanks

ALSO - I think we have a general consensus on the previous 6 questions - very limited animal reaction; limited memory-wipe powers; memory able to be restored but is difficult; some cost to expending powers; thought implant to direct others to do something difficult and depends upon person's inclination. I think that was pretty much it - let me know if you guys think differently.
1. Yes the classes start Monday. LMM is welcome to teach Aiwendis either embalming (with Val) or jewellery making with Viv. Aiwendis will be there in time. Aren't the nazgul most punctual undead beings?
BB, Bumble, when he gets up (he was still sleeping at 10 as reported by MM's), can have his Commerce class. However it may very well start Tuesday. One must give poor Bumble some time to sober up after the Reception.
The Chancellor is ready to give his lectures whenever his pupils show up. (after the Race?) So here I need Sane and Val.
Val, where are you? will you ever come to the Uni or send Oreturion to the library? We miss you!
We also miss the RACE. Please, Shah and Lotesse!, come back and post!
2. Rian, I am fully willing to grant all your requests for this RPG.
(Of course, canon-wise one must remember that the One gave Sam understanding of thoughts behind words of unknown languages, but that was the One and the language was that of the Orcs, so, we can disregard this argument in our RPG).
OK, the nazgul cannot understand the Gondolinian. Nobody is against?

I have posted, but my post doesn't show...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #407
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Well - a few little comments on the plan - all on the Ground Floor:

* Suggest moving the Kitchen to take the nearer half of the service wing. Kitchens were usually removed from the rest of a complex - often even a separate building.
* Suggest moving the Dining Room to the current Kitchen space - that gives it a nice prominent location - and would make the Dining Room adjacent to the Kitchen (for ease of bringing food from one to the other -and making sure it stays warm).
* Suggest perhaps moving the Sitting Room into the current Dining Room space.
* Suggest adding a Library or something into the current Sitting Room space.

Sorry to be critiquing this one things so much.

But I'm an architect.
No need to be sorry.
I am glad you took time to revise the plan.
What you say about Orrodel makes perfect sense, but the problem may be with some posts that are already there. I shall see what I can do this evening.

Now that I know you are an architect, I am sure you could give me sound advice on further plans.
What do you think of the University layout as shown on the first map in the INFO #3? Should I remove the Kitchen from the Palace into a separate building?

Perhaps, if you have some time, you could prepare your own house plan?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #408
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

OK - a few things:

* I am not certain, but thinking of leaving my one post as is - or maybe a slight modification or two once I settle on a subsequent post (I will post here if I edit, along with the post # - so folks can get updated quickly enough).
* I have something in mind to make the sword less talkative in the future - you'll see.
* I don't think the sword will know that the one who was in Val's chamber was the Nazgul named Viv - but I think if the sword is in close proximity with her, it may be able to tell Val that the one who was there is close by. (and I'm THINKING of making the sword a SHE! I'm REALLY hard-up for a girlfriend, huh?)
* Speaking of - I think the dancing girls are down to every other night - or only once or twice per week for the professors. After all... the King is in town!
* Difficulty coming up with time for posts lately - work, family, church - just got a dog, etc. Soon though... soon.
* Before we can really get going with classes - don't we need the Chancellor to post a Class Schedule or something? (shovels off more work to 'she-who-is-doing-practically-everything-anyway'! )
* BB - will the guard discover the identity of the crazy girl who flung herself off the bridge? Will they report it to her masters at Orrodel?
* BB - did you say Commerce is not until Tuesday? If Monday - maybe guard duties will keep Bumble from being punctual.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #409
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Val,I am still concerned that your sword has already told you too much, Re: love potion and "counted ones".

Because now, on sword info, Val will immediately suspect Aiwendis and Ilmenzor who gave him the potion. And suspect them of being "the counted ones"! Isn't it too early in the game, don't you think?

"Counted ones" is not really a difficult riddle! Do you know some other "counted ones"?

Isn't it better to say, that the enemy that I (the sword) have fought before (ML, mostly) was near! And that will not make you think of the nazgul immediately. You can start to look for Black Numenoreans first. That will really be a difficult riddle.

What you say about Viv makes sense. It can say later, when close to her, "The enemy that were in your room is near".

About the Classes Shedule. Here it was not me, but Willow-LMM, who tried to put order in it. Could we ask her to continue to be the shedule keeper, please? Eh, Maggie?

I am not sure that we can post the classes shedule beforehand. Who knows when say BB will be able to post for Bumble? But maybe it is better to have one. Thoughts, please.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #410
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Yes, I'll continue trying to keeping track of the schedule. I had intended to wait till I got some input from others as to when and where their classes ought to be, but if you want me to go ahead and just make one that seems to fit I'll gladly do so. Just as soon as I finish messing around with my real-life class schedule, it's registration for short-term today and the online registration thingy hates me.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 11-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #411
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Ok, thanks, LMM.

My advice is to let Bumble recover from the Reception strain on Monday. It will leave MM's free to go around with Udu and allow our BB to post for the constable BB investigating a suicide case. So, please, no commerce on Monday, IMHO.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #412
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I'm back!

Took me so long to go through all the new posts in the game thread... but even longer to get through the discussion thread...

Gordis, I liked the way you portrayed Tolvadok, you were good, and I will change my post and make Gordis sit in a corner demurely. And his fake name is Girithron, the last month in the Sindarin calender, so I suppose it means December. I took it to mean 'winter', though.

BB, I love your posts, they're so funny! And the constable is a darling!

Lady Marion, tell me when you're getting back to the Uni, because both my characters have business with yours. Jas needs his schedule, and Tolvadok will ask you to show him some 'rare manuscripts', you being the only hardworking person in Tharbad... Wow, Mahtaliel really is energetic, getting so much done with no sleep at all..

Everyone, good posts, and I think Melwen's final disposal was much better... I suppose Khamul and Buz will be pretty tired now, what with all the magic battles, and now the invisibility, and muting Melwen. Poor thing, I felt so sorry for her..

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 11-07-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:56 PM   #413
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
Lady Marion, tell me when you're getting back to the Uni, because both my characters have business with yours. Jas needs his schedule, and Tolvadok will ask you to show him some 'rare manuscripts', you being the only hardworking person in Tharbad... Wow, Mahtaliel really is energetic, getting so much done with no sleep at all..
Jas can catch up with her at the orientation, I added that in on the assumption that it might be practical to have all the students gather in one place to be given their finalized schedules before they go and try to find their classes.

Have Toldovak find her sometime in the afternoon, after she's done with classes.

And yes, she does tend to overwork herself... she'll be regretting it later on.

- The Crucible

Old 11-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #414
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
Gordis, I liked the way you portrayed Tolvadok, you were good, and I will change my post and make Gordis sit in a corner demurely. And his fake name is Girithron, the last month in the Sindarin calender, so I suppose it means December. I took it to mean 'winter', though.
Serenoli! I am so glad you are back. After all, Tol is one of my most reliable nazgul! Maybe the most reliable (ML wipes tears of affection). At least, as long as we have not got the Ring.

You have chosen a very good name. And thanks for Aiwendis. She is not one to flaunt her position, though, of course, she is protected to some degree by the Captain.

Now I liked your post very much. And your Bio in the Info tread, I have found it long after it was written, sorry.

I am afraid I made a mistake, thinking you might tell Tol was from Khand. He is a typical blond and pale Northerner, probably kin to ancestors of Men of Dale and Rohirrim. So, no Khand for him...

Edit: Serenoli I have changed my post... uhm i believe it was #449, Now it reads:
"My Lord Tolvadok, said the Captain. We have no more vacancies for Professors, unless you wish to teach Swamp Ecology. But you may be a visiting scholar born in the North and with a degree from Dol Amroth University. You came here to read rare manuscripts in the library. Please, think of a suitable name to use in Tharbad. Now I must be off. See you in the morning."

You may tell you were born around the Grey Mountains or Iron Hills, maybe near the Lonely Mountain, and then studying in Dol Amroth University.

LMM, Do you expect all the Profs to be at the Orientation? The Chancellor included?

ALL What about the Library? It is HUGE...It is like in "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco. Did anyone here read this book?
We need a librarian!

I propose that the former librarian was this unfortunate Prof of Oriental languages before Khamul. Yes, the one recently killed by his horse at Menotar.

Now there is no one really in charge. Mahtaliel, perhaps, has taken the library under her supervision temporarily, or even unofficially?, awaiting the appointment of the new librarian? Does it suit you LMM?.

Let Girithron ask you for permission, it will be fun...

Last edited by Gordis : 11-07-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #415
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Mahtaliel in charge of the library? Sure, why not? It sounds like something she'd do, taking it over till a new librarian can be found, or recruited (or grabbed by a desperate and over-worked elf and told to do it...)

- The Crucible

Old 11-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #416
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

We have some edit requests from Eärniel that will affect my posts and Maggie's posts. I was too hasty when I had Eärniel say she was going to take everyone to her hosts' house to meet them - Eärniel prefers to go on ahead by herself and check to see if that's ok with them first. I will need to edit my posts 432, 449 and 470, and Maggie, could you please edit your 473 as soon as I see what Eärniel wants me to say in my post 470? But basically, they will NOT be going to Eärniel's friends' house until she has checked with them.

Eärniel - please let me know what to change my post 470 to.

I'm also in the midst of fixing the Arastud conversation - I"ve had to check about 10 posts to clear these things up, but I think I'm almost done.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 11-07-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #417
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Mahtaliel in charge of the library? Sure, why not? It sounds like something she'd do, taking it over till a new librarian can be found, or recruited (or grabbed by a desperate and over-worked elf and told to do it...)
But you will need the Chancellor's approval if you find someone (evil laughter).

Thanks, Maggie, that was nice to care for the library, though nobody really appointed you.

BTW, the library is in the old Tower of the keep, Minas Aran, the oldest building in Tharbad, very beautiful, though not very well kept, walls cowered with ivy. There are many storeys of rarest manuscripts, lots of them from Numenor. There are 2 sets of keys, one the Chancellor keeps, the other is given to Mahtaliel, as she uses the library often.

On the roof there is the old Observatory, but it is now not used, as there is no Prof in Astronomy/Astrology.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #418
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I like libraries, I used to want to be a librarian until I realized that if I wanted to write then I'd be better off just going for it, but librarian is still one of my back-up choices.

Yes, the professors and the chancellor should be at orientation, it'll only take half an hour of game time, I promise.

I'm about a quarter of the way done with the schedule, I had to stop and go register for my short term class in real life.

- The Crucible

Old 11-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #419
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Yes, thank you, Rian. Nice post, though I believe the wheel thing and the climbing thing was before Melwen came to the stables. And both activities are hardly an alibi - no one saw them do what they sid they did.
I fixed my Arastud post, which is post #471, to fix up the order of events. Whew, lots of details to keep track of! I didn't mean it to be an iron-clad alibi - just kind of a thing to verify his general truthfulness (his brother can verify he woke him up, his father could verify that he saw him at the shop in the old version which is now gone, and now the watch can verify that he was there for awhile). NOT an alibi, but just kind of a general, first check for truthfulness type of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorids
2. Rian, I am fully willing to grant all your requests for this RPG.
(Of course, canon-wise one must remember that the One gave Sam understanding of thoughts behind words of unknown languages, but that was the One and the language was that of the Orcs, so, we can disregard this argument in our RPG).
OK, the nazgul cannot understand the Gondolinian. Nobody is against?
Thanks Basically, no one but an elf from Gondolin can understand the dialect, and possibly a few elves that have been around elves of Gondolin (like Prof. M), but no humans. Is that OK with everyone else?

Eärniel - I changed my posts 432 and 449 to take out all references to going to your friends' home, but I really don't know what to write in post 470 - why don't you just tell me what to write, or tell me to delete the post and you write something.

Last edited by Rían : 11-07-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #420
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Rian I am just curious: why do you think the "Gondolinian" was so different from classic Quenia?
Closed Thread