Return of the King
1) Sam - Sean Astin
2) Aragorn - Viggo
3) Theoden - Bernard Hill

Overall
1) Aragorn - Viggo
2) Gandalf - Sir Ian
3) Gollum - Andy

Honourable Mention: Saruman - Christopher Lee, Frodo - Elijah Wood, Faramir - David Wenham (especially good in RotK), and pretty much everyone else.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 08:09 PM   #22
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

The Fellowship of the Ring

Gandalf -- Ian deserved the Oscar for this performance
Boromir -- Sean acted so well I almost wished Boromir did not die.
Sam -- He's my favourite character and Sean did not disappoint.

The Two Towers

Gollum -- Andy put so much more into the role than just Gollum's voice. And he looks like him so much.
Eowyn -- Miranda's fantastic -- and she's an Aussie.
Sam -- I love him. Can't say much more.

The Return of the King

Aragorn -- Viggo's *is* the king.
Sam -- "Don't go where I can't follow." Sean's performance deserves an Oscar nomination at least.
Frodo -- I never truly realised what Frodo went through till I saw Elijah's performance.

Overall

Sam -- A flawless performance by Sean Astin. Sam is much loved by so many people, and I'm glad they cast the right person to perform the best character ever written.
Aragorn -- All I can say is I'm glad they replaced Stuart Townsend with Viggo.
Gollum -- Perfect CGI and casting. Gollum's as real as Sam and Frodo.

That was hard to choose. I think Bilbo, Saruman, Faramir, Galadriel, Eomer and Theoden were great as well. The only person that I think wasn't cast well was Elrond, because Hugo doesn't look like an elf.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:12 PM   #23
Orpheus
Sapling

best three would be arwen, gandalf, treebeard for me, but..

doesn't anyone think viggo would have made a perfect faramir? ^^
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:54 PM   #24
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

FotR
1. Gandalf - I don't know what to say, deserving of that oscar that he should've gotten
2. Boromir - amazing performance, he IS Boromir
3. Aragorn - Great, brilliant

TTT
1. Theoden - Definitely well cast
2. Gollum - need I say anything
3. Eowyn - She's adorable, perfect for the part

RotK
1. Samwise - definitely outshone his performance from the first two filmns
2. Aragorn - great once again, save for a few scripting problems
3. Frodo - Also his best perormance out of the three

Overall

1. Gandalf - Shakespearean acting is a good start as we can see
2. Gollum - I don't know what to say
3. Sam - Film three cemented him for me...awesome

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 12-31-2003 at 07:57 PM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:08 PM   #25
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

Probably yes, he's very versatile. I also think that Sean Bean who actually auditioned/read for the part of Aragorn would have made a splendid King-to-be also. And Sean Connery would have made a great Gandalf, but I would always be expecting him to whip out his pistols and begin shooting everybody, a la James Bond. Meh.

I still would like to read other's opinions of the WORST THREE performances...go on, you know you want to!
Old 12-31-2003, 09:19 PM   #26
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Sean Connery would have made a great Gandalf, but I would always be expecting him to whip out his pistols and begin shooting everybody, a la James Bond. Meh.

Actually, if you've ever seen the movie The Wind and the Lion, where he plays a Berber chiefain, he would have made a great Theoden, but might have too much dominated the movie.

As for three worst performances, how about
Denethor
Denethor
Denethor (Although it's mostly not the actor's fault, but rather
P____ J______).

Well, most of the acting and casting was remarkably good, will have to think about two more"meritorious" candidates.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-31-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:57 AM   #27
Jedi X
Hobbit

fotr-

bilbo: this guy was just great in every scene he did. everything he went for, humor, sorrow, anything, he nailed it. everytime he go "im sorry for everything" in that scene i get misty eyed.

gandalf: i cnt imagine anyone having done such a tremendously awesome job pulling of the stormcrow. even the little things like the wink of an eye added depth to an already fathomless character.

saruman: whoa. the voice alone was enough to get this guy the prize. not to mention the flashing eyes and his excellent acting.

tt-

grima: any actor who can get me to hiss has done his job well. every action and word oozed "scumbag". excellent.

theoden: "and the red dawn!" 'nuff said. the guy was just plain brilliant.

gimli/treebeard: come on, the guy pulls off two roles in the same flick and i didn't even realize it until the credits. thats acting with a capital A.

rotk-

aragorn: the transformation from ranger to king was excellent and that speech about all the mojo "come crashing down" had me about ready to charge the screen. not to mention his aura of fearlessness, and just plain everything he did.

sam: man, now he did some acting. i couldnt help blubbering with him like a fool when frodo told him to go home. and when he charges up the stairs at cirith ungol, and his butting heads with gollum, his words on mount doom. heck, i was so happy when the marriage scene came around, i felt like a buddy of mine just got hitched.

galadriel: she didnt say much, but she didnt have too. that radiant visage would have given me the strength to complete any task. come on, she didnt even have to say a single word and youre ready to tangle with all of mordor.

all-

gandalf
sam
galadriel: yep, she gets it just for being so hot. hey, but ain't that just the way it goes?
Old 01-01-2004, 05:42 AM   #28
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorns Dimple

I still would like to read other's opinions of the WORST THREE performances...go on, you know you want to!
The worst three performances? Well I don't want to pick on the negative, but here's a few.

Denethor
Faramir- from TTT
hmm maybe Frodo in FOTR

Though I don't doubt the actors' ability, only the way they were portrayed. They were all greatly cast and they definitely looked their roles, except maybe Frodo. (I still don't think he looks exactly like a hobbit)

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #29
Victoria
Sapling

Strider top 3...

FOTR - Aragorn, Gandalf and Saruman

TTT - Aragorn, Haldir (that's the elf captain's name right?) and Gollum

ROTK - Aragorn, Legolas (that scene eith the oliphont was just awesome!!!), Gollum (andy serkis deserves an award for his portrayal of Gollum...
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:02 PM   #30
Victoria
Sapling

Strider No way...

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
best three would be arwen, gandalf, treebeard for me, but..

no way...there's something about that jaw of his that makes him look very "kingly"...playing Faramir would seem out of place....
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:46 PM   #31
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The Fellowship of the Ring:

1) Samwise - Sean Astin
2) Gandalf - Sir Ian McKellen
3) Galadriel - Cate Blanchette

The Two Towers:

1) Samwise - Sean Astin
2) Aragorn - Viggo Mortensen
3) Theoden - Bernard Hill

The Return of the King:

1) Samwise - Sean Astin
2) Eowyn - Mirando Otto
3) Faramir - David Wenham

Overall:

1) Samwise - Sean Astin
2) Aragorn - Viggo Mortensen
3) Eowyn - Miranda Otto

Though I loved Gandalf in FotR and TTT, he completely blew it in RotK. Perhaps this was more Jackson's fault than McKellan's, but Gandalf was so terrible in RotK that he can't possibly make a top three list IMO.
Sean Astin was a complete genius as Sam. He was perfectly cast, and embodied Sam's stoutheartedness, loyalty, determination, and resourcefulness. Astin's performance is rock-solid for all three movies. I can't think of even one scene where I didn't love his character.
Aragorn was terrific in RotK, and very good in FotR and TTT. I really Mortensen's portayal of his character, and only had a few annoying scenes. He was especially wonderful in RotK, and showed good character development.
Miranda Otto's protrayal of Eowyn was wonderful. In RotK she demonstrated that she was the perfect person for that role.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:02 AM   #32
ryttu3k
Enting

This is just cruel, you know. How can I decide?! The casting was spot-on! (Just a note, I'm not nominating anyone twice, I'm just picking the movie I thought they were best in.)

Fellowship Of The Ring

Gandalf - Ian McKellan
Boromir - Sean Bean
Bilbo - Ian Holm

The Two Towers

Theoden - Bernard Hill
Aragorn - Viggo Mortensen
Gollum/Smeagol - Andy Serkis

Return Of The King

Faramir - David Wenham
Sam - Sean Astin
Frodo - Elijah Wood

Overall

You kill me -_- And dammit, I'm choosing FOUR!

Sam - Sean Astin (For just being Sam, dammit.)
Aragorn - Viggo Mortensen (The growth of his character, coming in to the King he was born to be.)
Gandalf - Ian McKellan (Wisdom and wit and such. I actually prefer Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the Sparkly White, though...)
Frodo - Elijah Wood (*sniff*)

(Popular choices )

Last edited by ryttu3k : 02-08-2004 at 12:03 AM.
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #33
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Fellowship of the Ring

Gandalf- Sir Ian McKellen (wise and old and downright Gandalf-looking)
Elrond- Agent Smith (just good casting *lifts eyebrow*)
Aragorn- Viggo (His devotion did make him a wandering Strider)

Two Towers

Gimli- John Rhys Davies (dwarven)
Saruman- Christopher Lee (The voice, the voice...)
Treebeard- CG?

Return of the King

Gandalf- Sir Ian (glorious!)
Aragorn- Viggo (already a kingly Ranger)
That old hobbit guy with the rubbery face- "" "" ""

Overall

Gandalf- Sir Ian McKellen
Saruman- Christopher Lee
Gimli- John Rhys Davies

Last edited by Bombadillo : 02-08-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:26 PM   #34
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Best 3
1. Faramir in RotK
2. Gandalf
3. Aragorn

Worst 3
1. Denathor
2. Elrond
3. Barliman Butterbur
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:14 AM   #35
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Worst 3 performances…
1) the popcorn-head orc– how wrong was he?
2) Elrond– some of his delivery was terrible
3) Denethor– he just looked too evil and demented. in the book he was meant to be old and noble– i always think of the Alan Lee picture where he's got the snow-white hair and the long beard.

And what about the top 3 characters we wish had been in the film?
Mine…
1) Tom Bombadil– how could you cut him out?!
2) Ghan-buri-ghan and the wild men
3) halbarad and the rangers! I think theat would have ben great to have them in there as their presence in the book shows part of Aragorn's background and reminds us that there are oher Dunedain… anyway

as for the 3 best?
1) Aragorn
2) gandalf
3) Gimli

I thought all these 3 played their characters perfectly.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:03 AM   #36
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hey guys, this is supposed to be the "best" thread. There's enough beef threads already.

I agree Mrs. Maggot, Aragorn was excellent, though I liked Sam even more.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:11 AM   #37
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

This is gonna be hard...
Fellowship of the Ring

Gandalf- Sir Ian McKellen
Bilbo- Ian Holm
Aragorn- Viggo Mortensen

Two Towers

Gollum-Andy Serkis
Theoden-Bernard Hill
Gimli- John Rhys Davies

Return of the King

Gandalf- Sir Ian
Aragorn- Viggo
Denethor- John Noble (I thought he portrayed Denethor great. I hated Denethor, but he was a good actor)

Overall

Gandalf- Sir Ian
Aragorn-Viggo
Theoden-Bernard

I also thought Orlando did great, but I didn't put him on because he other people had bigger roles.
EDIT: OH!! How could I forget Andy Serkis?!?!?! I'ma go change it right now!!

Worst three-
Gothmog (The really ugly orc in RotK)
Elrond (hated him)
Galadriel (I don't know why, but I really counldn't stand her)
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean

Last edited by sirigorn : 02-09-2004 at 09:12 AM.
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:07 PM   #38
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Best Overall

1) Gandalf - Sir Ian McKellen: He absolutely defined the character.

2) Gollum - Andy Serkis: Without question, Gollum is the best CGI character ever; Serkis is a big part of the reason why.

3) Aragorn - Viggo Mortensen: He did a great job of showing heroism and courage while still displaying reluctance and self-doubt.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:00 AM   #39
Pimpernel
Enting

I really shouldn't read other people's bad opinions of the movies...or of anything, because I'm so strangely and annoyingly nice in these areas that I don't hate anything...except maybe the big stuff (like Sam getting kicked off the island by Frodo...and Sam accepting it. Goddamnit but Sean Astin did an amazing job anyway....)
Anyway, since I'm such a loser, here's my favorites:

The Fellowship of the Ring
Gandalf the Grey- this was Ian's best performance of the three movies. You can't help but fall for the hat....
Strider- I love his first scene with the pipe....oh maaan. But seriously, he had his best performance in TFotR
Boromir- His was the best death scene. Still brings tears to my eyes....He died so well, and portrayed book-Boromir just as I wanted...

The Two Towers
Wormtongue- Seriously just like I always imagined. So perfectly greasy...
Samwise- My mom gets so close to tears at his little speech in the end. And he executed the "D'you think we'll ever be put into songs or tales?" scene perfectly.
Gollum- Andy Serkis is amazing. Dude, its more realistic than Yoda! And Yoda was real...as in a puppet....

The Return of the King
Samwise- Who can leave the theater without the slightest touch of Sam-love? He was amazingly awesome. Although the 'Choices of Master Samwise' wasn't perfect...Mount Doom was heartwrenching...and eye-draining.
Eowyn- "I am no man" She was my hero in the book, and she does a great job in the movie.
Pippin- his almost-death scene was amazing, and who knew Billy could sing? That's where my eyes began their downhill ride to sobbing...

Overall
Samwise- No doubt. It really is terrible that he wasn't nominated for Supporting Actor or anything. Sean Astin SO deserves it.
Gollum- Amazing CG stuff. So believable and yet again Andy Serkis is awesome.
Gandalf- Althought TRotK was disappointing, Ian plays an amazingly Gandalfy Gandalf..no matter the screenplay.

Phew, that was hard...But it was good, 'cause I realized its not just the actors. I think the reason this was so hard was because the actors don't make the movie, the movie makes itself. (Now I'm no expert on moviemaking, so...heh)

Oh right, Honorable Mentions:
Saruman- Christopher Lee was so frighteningly evil, especially with that voice....eek
Mr. Potato Head- that stuntman/woman deserves something. He kept me wondering the whole movie about how he got the clefts in his lips....
Shelob- not as great as I wanted, but I can't help loving the last child of Ungoliant, mother of those who attacked our favorite party of dwarves some decades ago...
just kidding, I only wish I was Eru...power is good..except I would get corrupted so know...and why am I writing all of this randomness that's popping into my head that you don't give a rat's tail about.....??

Last edited by Pimpernel : 02-11-2004 at 12:02 AM.
Pimpernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #40
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

HONERABLE MENTIONS:
SAM!!! He was great. So sad. So funny!!
I dunno who else...
Chris Lee was great as Saruman
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote