Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-08-2003, 06:36 AM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
JD, sounds like you might be happier if you just skip the third... or are you planning to go anyway?
I was going to go - 12:01am of course - just like a frigging lemming. Anyway - I need to be able to say what i like and don't like about the movie. I did actually come back from TT with some positive reviews - but that was mostly because Jackson hacked up FotR so much - my expectations couldn't have been more low. Anyway - have to see what major part Jackson completely screws up in RotK now.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-08-2003 at 06:38 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:23 PM   #22
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Re: Scenes PJ got right

Quote:
Originally posted by thranduil
Everyone always complains that the "Flight to the Ford" with arwen was horrible, and there upset that Glorfindel was taken out. Think about this. If PJ kept Glorfindel and did the scene like the book, would you even appreciate it? Would you ever be gratefull that he did it, or just keep looking at the scenes he has changed. I am guessing some of us would just take the scene for grantite.
While I would have liked to see Glorfindel, it could have been substituted with little harm to the plot. The problem was the way PJ made further changes to that.

It was not necessary to have Aragorn surprised by Arwen. In fact, I thing if he had stick to the book there he could have managed easily a good scene, with more tension that the one on film. Neither was it necessary to have Arwen ride with Frodo. What for?

Super-elf faces the riders, so?

Having Arwen act as Glorfindel and temporarily partially healing Frodo, putting him on a horse, pursued by the black riders and letting him have his moment, despite the apparent impending doom, only to be saved by Gandalf and Elrond, well, that would have work better, much better.

As for Bilbo, I have enjoyed much that part.

QUOTES:
“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves. “
PJ

“Obviously we're taking this incredible novel and we're adapting it into films, and I think the film is the important thing. “

Peter Jackson on The Today Show, December 5, 2002
Nazgul King Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 02:55 PM   #23
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yes, JD really hates the movies... How many times did you go and watch Fellowship, JD?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 03:23 PM   #24
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I think all the bilbo in shire scenes were all very well done. I think that goes for most of the shire parts as well.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:11 PM   #25
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Yes, JD really hates the movies... How many times did you go and watch Fellowship, JD?
I went like 8 times trying to like the damn movie. I have always admitted that I had gone multiple times - it didn't mean I actually liked them. I really was trying to like them though. With Two Towers I gave up - I only saw twice.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-08-2003 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:18 PM   #26
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
I think all the bilbo in shire scenes were all very well done. I think that goes for most of the shire parts as well.
I would say that mostly goes for all of us. These parts really were well done. JD admit I bet you even liked these parts.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:26 PM   #27
jerseydevil

Quote:
I would say that mostly goes for all of us. These parts really were well done. JD admit I bet you even liked these parts.
I have never complained about those parts. Except when it came to Gandalf hitting his head oin the chandelier. I don't like Gandalf in the movies - but that doesn't really have anything to do with Biblo - even if they are in the same scene.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-08-2003, 04:33 PM   #28
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I have never complained about those parts. Except when it came to Gandalf hitting his head oin the chandelier. I don't like Gandalf in the movies - but that doesn't really have anything to do with Biblo - even if they are in the same scene.
Oh don't tell me the chandelier scene was overdone too. Ha, was that too much action that wasn't in the book?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:37 PM   #29
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Oh don't tell me the chandelier scene was overdone too. Ha, was that too much action that wasn't in the book?
That wasn't in the book, but I see no problem with throwing in some humor in the movies as long as they don't get carried away with it like they did with Gimli.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:42 PM   #30
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
I had a problem with it because jackson portrayed Gandalf has a dottering old fool. Walking behind Saruman wimpering "Oh - please there is more time right?" - with Elrond talking down to him, with trying push the gates of moria inward when he KNEW they only opened outward (ha ha ha ha ) Then Gandalf's stupid a$$ facial expressions. Gandalf is another character jackson hacked and reduced down to a hollywood cliche.

By the way - with how many times Gandalf had been in Bag End - you would think he would have enough brains to remember that the chandelier was there. I was an Isatari.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-08-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:52 PM   #31
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I had a problem with it because jackson portrayed Gandalf has a dottering old fool. Walking behind Saruman wimpering "Oh - please there is more time right?"

I was an Isatari.

Really, How?

Saruman is head of the white council, it is not unreasonable that gandalf looked up too him and agreed with him. As for dottering old fool, I think you've gone off your rocker.

But apparently you can not enjoy any good old humor. Since I guess humor was not in the books.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:58 PM   #32
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Saruman is head of the white council, it is not unreasonable that gandalf looked up too him and agreed with him.
They were respectful toward each other - gandalf would not have been following behind Saruman begging for forgiveness.
Quote:

As for dottering old fool, I think you've gone off your rocker.
Why - when it was demostrated over and over again. His facial expressions, his hitting his head, him pushing the gate of moria inward, his wimpering behind saruman, his wimpering while talking to Elrond.
Quote:

But apparently you can not enjoy any good old humor. Since I guess humor was not in the books.
I can enjoy humor - and I have many stupid comedies - but makingcheap comic things was unnecessary in LotR. There were plenty of humor in the Lord of the Rings itself - without having to resort to cheap site gag stuff.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-08-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:51 PM   #33
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Nehheh. A thread about the scenes that PJ supposedly got right and it's turned again in a debate on what he didn't get right.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:14 PM   #34
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Nehheh. A thread about the scenes that PJ supposedly got right and it's turned again in a debate on what he didn't get right.

I do agree with JD about most things in his first post. Elrond was horible, and Gandalf was an idiot, not becuase of the doors of Moria though, because I can guarantee 99% of the people who watched the movie didn't notice, and if noticed didn't know anyway (I didn't notice ). I think the scene with Boromir and Aragoern was unnecessary.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 06:21 PM   #35
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
That's because there isn't much to discuss when it comes to things Jackson got right.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-08-2003, 06:34 PM   #36
Earniel

Quote:
That's because there isn't much to discuss when it comes to things Jackson got right.
And there are already so much threads where you can discuss just that. But perhaps we can try to keep this thread for the good points, no? However rare you may find them.

As for that I think that Bilbo's birthday party looked rather well done. It looked cheerful and, well, hobbit-y IMO.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:38 PM   #37
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
As for that I think that Bilbo's birthday party looked rather well done. It looked cheerful and, well, hobbit-y IMO.
Okay - done. Thread can be closed - we discussed the one item Jackson got right.

He did screw it up with Merry and Pippin - the town idiots

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-08-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:57 AM   #38
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

There are all kinds of small and large things that he has gotten right. Here are some of my favs off the top of my head:

Bilbo's party
Orthanc
How the ring itself is depicted
Balrog/Moria/Bridge of KD
Argonath/Falls of Rauros
Black Riders
Casting 90% excellent
Looking for King's Foil (up until Arwen arrived)
Weathertop (for the most part)

Balin's Tomb - just as I imagined it, even though the fight with the troll was different

Caradhras
Rohan
Old 11-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #39
Earniel

Quote:
Okay - done. Thread can be closed - we discussed the one item Jackson got right.

He did screw it up with Merry and Pippin - the town idiots
JD, you're impossible.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:25 AM   #40
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I thought most of the extended scenes were good. They added a lot more accuracy to the story. The gift giving scene was very good, except for Sam's gift.
I thought the Moria/Balrog scene was awesome.
I loved the Shire/ birthday party scenes.
several others too

To me the good scenes outway the bad. The reason I like the movies is because in the scenes that are pretty accurate (maybe not 100%, but pretty close) I feel as if I am watching the books, I am seeing Middle Earth. It's awesome. Yes, there are scenes were I am just well... , but I didn't expect them to be perfect. There is no way PJ can make up for some of the damage he has done. But there are scenes that were very well done and I appreciate seeing them. When watching them now I just skip the scenes I don't like and it's all good

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote