Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2003, 03:47 PM   #21
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Lin
And not only that it gives away the ending, but I think it's important to see if you're into Tolkien's world in the first place. People who have read LotR beforehand, have still been deterred from reading the Silm because of its complexity/difficulty. Imagine someone reading the Silm first, and assuming the rest of JRRT's works are in that style- they wouldn't even bother with LotR!
Right! didn't think about it.

Quote:
original;ly posted by Anglorfin
It doesn't really matter anymore with the movies coming out now. Besides when my friends read the Sil first they felt great that they weren't just part of the movie fanclub that flocked to LotR books right away. They had a bit more knowledge to wave over everybody else's heads.
I would also suggest to read the books before the movies, becuase the movies destroyed my imagination (I finished to rea dht ebooks just before the first movie - and when I saw Elrond... Now I imagine Elrond as an ugly man.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:24 PM   #22
elixir
Elven Warrior

I read LOTR first and then Silmarillion, but now that I'm reading LOTR again I understand it a lot better thanks to Silmarillion.

But I think that it's better to read LOTR before Sil (and again after it) and The Hobbit before the LOTR of course. I mean if you had read Hobbit, which is a children's book and then start Sil, it might seem a little too difficult for you. And as LOTR is connected to the Hobbit, I think that's the best way to read those books. But that's just my opinion

"We've got a wizard and we're not afraid to use him!"

HOBBITS NEEDED! Some dwarves as well !!!

elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 09:23 PM   #23
kiwi52291
Hobbit

I would read LOTR before the Silmarillion...just because it was published that way, so I think that's the way most people read them.
kiwi52291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #24
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I read the Sil after I read The Hobbit and LOTR. I think it would be best to read it (the Sil) after LOTR, because LOTR is written from mostly the hobbits' point of view- so they wouldn't know all the history and backround of the elves. To enjoy LOTR, you have to be kind of in the moment, like the hobbits. If you know to much, it lacks mystery, and the elves as a people are no longer elusive, and you're no longer discovering a whole new world outside your personal 'Shire'. It would seem to me that the Sil would be a history book lying around in Rivendell that one might pick up after have destroyed the Ring.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #25
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I read LOTR then The Hobbit and then the Silmarillion and then Unfinished Tales.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:18 PM   #26
Valaróma
Banned

I read The Hobbit, LotR, HoMe including BoLT then the Silm.
Valaróma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:27 PM   #27
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

You read HoME before the Sil? Wow. It must have made no sense...

Oh, and welcome.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:56 PM   #28
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I didn't even know Sil existed until after I had read LOTR. I still haven't ever read it all.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 04:37 AM   #29
Valaróma
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
You read HoME before the Sil? Wow. It must have made no sense...

Oh, and welcome.
It didn't I read it again after as well

Thanks as well
Valaróma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 04:46 AM   #30
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yeah, I can imagine! I'd only read the Sil once before all the earlier HoMEs and I remember getting royally messed up because Tolkien changed all the 'F' names around.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:41 AM   #31
den
Sapling

I first read the Hobbit, which is still one of my favorites. Then LOTR, then the Sil. My advice- the Sil is deep. Very complex, with many stories within the story and very little dialog. Lots of characters. In many ways it reads like a history book. Maybe it's a good idea to read the other books first to introduce you to Middle Earth. I agree with those who say the Sil can turn someone off to Tolkien's work if they read it first. Then once you have a better understanding of his world and style, read the Sil, then go back and read LOTR and the rest. You'll have a much greater appreciation for it.

Quote:
I would also suggest to read the books before the movies, becuase the movies destroyed my imagination (I finished to rea dht ebooks just before the first movie - and when I saw Elrond... Now I imagine Elrond as an ugly man.
Yeah, now I think of Elrond as that guy from the Matrix... just killed it for me.
den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:38 AM   #32
Elrond the Wise
Sapling

First I read The Hobbit, then I waited for some years becuse I was to young to read loTR and then I read the Sil. and Unfinished Tales
Elrond the Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:56 AM   #33
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I read The Hobbit first then LoTR and then The Silmarillion. Since then I have also read the Christopher Tolkien books - first UT and then the rest in random order.

I belive that this should be the order in which to read about Tolkien. I agree that LoTR rouses the curiosity of the reader with its cryptic references to the older age of Middle Earth and it triggers the imagination.

In terms of trying to get others to appreciate the full scale of Tolkien (especially newcomers who have only seen the movies), it becomes virtually impossible because of the cinematic concessions which inevitably arise from the way the movies were/are portrayed. I try to inform my friends of the deeper implications of characters such as Elrond, Galadriel and Aragorn, but find that it becomes virtually impossible unless they read LoTR and the other works.

To attempt to read The Silmarillion before LoTR will only confound a new reader.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:19 AM   #34
Elrond the Wise
Sapling

Theoden the pest way

I thik the best order to read is The Hobbit then LOTR then The Silmarillion and then LOTR again.
Elrond the Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 03:53 PM   #35
nessa
Enting

I read the Hobbit first, then LOTR and then, some years later, Silmirillion. Difficult to say if reading Silm first would have made a difference. I was really young when i read Hobbit. If I had tried to read Silm first it would have put me off for life! Then see what I would have missed.

I've now read all of the books more times then I remember, which Opan, I'm sure you'll do and you become so familiar with them that they all interweave.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:59 PM   #36
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I read The Silmarillion after The Lord of the Rings because I had no choice. I had gotten it after.

Personally, though, I prefer to read things in chronological order. So when I'm done LotR and The Sil (I'm reading them at the same time), I'll go back and read The Silmarillion, then The Hobbit, then The Lord of the Rings.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:39 PM   #37
Elenna Alaniel
Hobbit

I first read Hobbit (as soon as I learnt to read) and few years later LotR and Silmarillion.I think it is the best to read them like that becouse you can read them while growing up and you slowly enter that world,step by step.that is just my personal opinion but one is sure: it is the best way to get a great Tolkien-fan
Old 09-09-2003, 09:33 PM   #38
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

i read LotR first becasue i couldnt find a copy of the Hobbit, then i read the Hobbit after i got it for Christmas then i read the Sil

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote