Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-08-2003, 01:30 AM   #21
Anglorfin
Alasailon

LoL when reading that for some reason I picture an Elf like Elrond or Thingol standing like a little schoolboy and reciting it word for word like he rehearsed it 1000 times.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 03:02 PM   #22
Ruinel
Banned

hmmm... I should have put more feeling into it. *sigh* Well... that was the best that I can do. I have no experience with being an Atan. Sorry.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:03 PM   #23
genewyn

elvish

i'm just learning elvish, and i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a direct translation for :gentle, fair,expectant. i wrote a poem and i translated most of it except those three words.
genewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 02:05 PM   #24
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I suggest you go to the thread of Tolkien Languages in the Middle Earth forum and ask there.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:09 PM   #25
Ruinel
Banned

Yes, Fat Middle is correct. Go to Middle Earth Forum, Tolkien's Languages thread and we, the Elves, and the Elf-friends will help you with your words there.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:24 PM   #26
Elenna Alaniel
Hobbit

I'm not afraid of death so I guess I'd exceapt it.but I woun't stand against king (and Sauron) couse i don't wanna die if I don't really have to.and I woun't go to Aman.or I woun't do it now.who knows what would happend if i have lived there?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:43 PM   #27
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
If you'd accepted death, Illúvatar's Gift of Men, would you try to stop the Númenóreans from reaching Aman?
I believe they were past aid by then. Doing so would probably end with one being sacrificed in the temple of Morgoth, or worse, causing one’s loved ones being sent there.

Quote:
If you wanted to become immortal, would you yourself want to set your foot in Aman, rejecting the Ban of the Valar?
Due to my nature, scepticism, and love for History, I believe I would not be persuaded by Sauron’s promises and would leave the island in due haste, and wait some somewhere in Middle Earth. I mean, it is not as if the two earlier wars with Morgoth didn’t gave a clue that the Numenorians hadn’t a chance. Just think what the War of Wrath did to Beleriand…

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #28
Athelwinde
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil Answer

Answering to the question "If I were a Numenorean, what would I do, etc. I would try to hold on to the Old Ways, as the Faithful did, because I mean, if suddenly the Elves stopped coming to my shores, Sauron was held "captive" by the King, obviously something just isn't right. And if I saw the corruption of the King and his evil desire to go against the Ban and against basically Iluvatar himself, well, I'd hop on a ship with Elendil.
Athelwinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:51 AM   #29
Durin1
Elven Warrior

It is hard to criticise the Valar but I think that they made a grave mistake in extending the lives of the Numenoreans. Fair enough the Edain for their losses and troubles should have been given a reward of some sort, but my arguements are:

1. If a child is given some sweets from their parents, they will never be satisfied and will want more.
2. Men being mortal had learned to accept their fate. By prolonging the inevitable would have been against their make up. Therefore a "superhuman" society was created.
3. An arrogance and natural superiority complex was developed amongst these Numenoreans which, again, would have been an inevitable consequence.
4. From banning them to sail into the West, would have further induced the Numenoreans to rebel.

In short, I believe that it would have been better if the Edain had stayed in their own natural homelands (ME).

The Valar should have learnt from their past mistakes and thought about the bigger picture.