Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2003, 08:56 PM   #21
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I'm way into death. Ask anyone at school. "Yep," they'll say, "violent and murderous. Absolutely. Totally worships death, ya know?"

I have a great time killing off my characters. Talk to the girl I walk to school with. When I'm ticked, I'll recount to her what I"m going to do to the person ticking me off. "...and then, I'm going to lop off their hand and make them eat it..." That's the pg-13 version. I don't know how much gore can be fit under that rating, so I won't take chances.

I like writing graphic descriptions of pain and suffering, but I don't usually put a lot of it in my stories...It gives my twisted nightmares. In order to prevent those dreams, I leave it at tossing the heroine off the five hundred-foot rock and describing the remains.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:22 PM   #22
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

In my stories, there are a few deaths, though none of the main characters die. For example, in the first book in a trilogy that I'm working on now (not writing, working on) a huge village is burned to the ground by the Dark Elves. After the fire dies down, one of the main characters finds his wife's ring on the ground, and that starts a whole inner battle in him, and that is what completely motivates him throughout the story.
Old 04-26-2003, 06:58 PM   #23
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

And in the end, we find out that the wife actually didn't die in the fire, correct?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:55 AM   #24
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
I prefer to torture /other/ people's characters, myself. ]: )
i'll say

im killing off my best friend in the movie im shooting this summer.
so far we have a skeleton plot, with a few lose details, but this one is sure to make it, cause it's a turning point that ultimately brings the destrction of the main character, (who i still haven't named.)
Old 04-27-2003, 12:35 PM   #25
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I don't actually kill characters unless it is for the sake of furthering my plot. The ones I killed in my stories weren't main characters; but the story never would have happened had they not died.
I do so like killing them, though.
I've never written a torture scene; maybe I will some day, but maybe not. My torture is normally psychological.
That's what I meant. Only I get some sort of perverse pleasure out of destroying their little lives . . . Bwahahaha!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:50 PM   #26
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I don't kill to further my plot, since my plots are usually only semi-existent. I kill for fun. Especially mental pain. 'Tis very funny.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:19 PM   #27
Amaranthea
Enting

Yes, I am guilty of torturing/killing off characters in my stories. <sigh> Mostly, I'm guilty of the angsty torture, though. Not really anything physical, unless it's necessary to have the physical there to really reinforce the emotional damage done, that is, to make the emotional damage even more extreme, for example, I have written a story that includes an element of homosexual rape. The actual physical act was torturous for the protagonist, yes, because the rapist was also a sadist, but the real damage that was done was the emotional fall-out afterwards.

I'm also really big into writing stories that revolve around sacrifice. That, to me, is what makes characters much more interesting than just "Hey, my name is Bob, and I like cheese." I totally prescribe to the theory that "Love is Sacrifice." That is, that if you creature/person/whatever that loves, that means that you would be willing to sacrifice for that love. And THAT is where the majority of the torture comes in during my stories; someone sacrificing themselves for someone they love and thus having to 1) go through the actual physical torture AND 2) go through the emotional torture of not being able to know if their sacrifice was sufficient for their loved one.
Amaranthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 07:28 PM   #28
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I believe I am rather weak when it comes to killing off characters.

At one point I had an excellent opportunity to do one in. I was about 260 pages into the story, and it was possible. I mean, she was expendable. There wasn't any plotline necessity to keep her alive; the needs for her were over. I wrote up the scene in which this character was killed, and then after a lot of thought and struggling, I edited it out again. And I've kept her.

I'm just soft on my own people, I suppose .

Though not too soft, on second thought. I've really tortured one of my characters rather severely, and I did kill two semi-main ones.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:38 AM   #29
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
. . . I was about 260 pages into the story. . .
*sobs* I hate you . . . *sniffles*
Okay, so I don't, but I'm jealous because you reached 260 pages. I'm struggling for a hundred (and right now I'm only on chapter two, so that's a ways away) and maybe plus some.

Actually, can I ask you guys for advice? I'm stuck as to whether or not I should leave one or two main characters alive. See, one of them owns the world and sold the world to a terrorist group to get the other one back (yes, character 1 has, er, issues). Now here's my dilemma: I have to get them into a civil war. I can blow up CHaracter 1 and 2 and leave Character three in charge, or I can leave them all alive. Character three's gonna be in charge no matter what. I think I want to kill them, but I don't quite know . . . suggestions?

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:00 AM   #30
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I wouldn't kill them, but then again, that's me.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:56 PM   #31
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

o come on you guys, my charachters have to die. and they seldom die in their sleep.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:10 PM   #32
Amaranthea
Enting

Quote:
Actually, can I ask you guys for advice? I'm stuck as to whether or not I should leave one or two main characters alive. See, one of them owns the world and sold the world to a terrorist group to get the other one back (yes, character 1 has, er, issues). Now here's my dilemma: I have to get them into a civil war. I can blow up CHaracter 1 and 2 and leave Character three in charge, or I can leave them all alive. Character three's gonna be in charge no matter what. I think I want to kill them, but I don't quite know . . . suggestions?
Well, if you killed off both the other characters that are stuggeling against Character #3 (whom I'm assuming is your protagonist), how could there be a war? #3 would be the only one left....hence no fighting, hence no civil war! Better keep them alive.....and kill them later.
Amaranthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:04 PM   #33
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'm a little confused about the situation you described, Laurelyn.

So character 1 sold a world to a terrorist group- who are characters 2 and 3? And why would a civil war be created by character 1's dying? Since character 1 isn't even connected to that world anymore.

I think I just need a little more depth and understanding of the situation before I can comment.

Also, if you're at chapter 2, how can these characters be very main so far? And if they're not main, what's the worry over whether to kill them or not? Go for it .