Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

You and Coney are very probably right .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:39 PM   #22
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Wow. I didn't think I'd get this much feedback (never had so much on any of my stories before...). I think I'll leave it up to the reader to interpret the actual meaning of Raccoon. I have my own meaning to it, but it's absolutely possible to find your own in it.

The black bread crumbs were supposed to be a metaphor for her shedded clothing. That wasn't very well thought out at the time of writing, since I don't think I mentioned her wearing black clothing.

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes, BoP. I haven't edited these at all, except for one line in Raccoon, and my spelling and grammar and typos were pretty bad when I was fourteen.

I have some stuff posted at fanfiction.net and fictionpress.net and hennethannun.net. Mostly LOTR fanfiction, and just some poems at fictionpress.net.

I'll look for something a tad less depressing to post next. I've started to get in a writing mood, as well, so maybe some new stuff will be posted soon.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:48 PM   #23
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I generally find that the best writing leaves a lot of room for reader interpretation, so yes, let us speculate.

It would be neat to see something that you wrote more recently or are working on now, just to see how it's different from what you've already posted.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:03 PM   #24
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Tough as Snails, written 8/3/2001

Author's Note: I promise to have something new up soon! This isn't nearly as dark as the others, and is definitely fantasy. Not one of my better stories.

The new dew fell victim to tiny footprints as Tervin leaped across the blades of grass. The morning fairy giggled in delight and scooped up a dew drop for a drink. When she was done with her simple breakfast she glided about for a bit, almost invisible to the human eye. Tervin was forced out of her frolicking by the loud voice of an obnoxious human child. Fearful for her life, she dashed toward a bush and covered herself quickly. She immediately recognized the disturbance.

Ryan was a loud boy of eight years, and though his blonde curls and large brown eyes made him look innocent, he was a menace. Several times he had come to the field where Tervin lived and ruined the peace she loved. He always left, of course, but not without leaving an unfriendly reminder. Broken plants and trash littered her small field when he left, and kept her always busy. After painstakingly repairing the plants and hauling the large candywrappers out of her field, he just returned, more destructive than before. Tervin was afraid this time she would be pushed to the edge.

"Now what should I do today?" Ryan asked aloud. He laughed again and began pulling up plants, getting dangerously close to Tervin's bush. She shivered slightly, causing a breeze to blow through the meadow. Ryan noticed something odd about the wind, but didn't know it was because of fairy magic.

The eight year old soon grew tired of pulling up plants and searched for a new item of interest while he nibbled on a chocolate bar. The discarded wrapper fluttered and caught Ryan's eye.

"What could this be?" He wondered, and lifted the wrapper to find a small snail underneath. The snail seemed normal to him, but in actuality it was Tervin's pet of sorts, and she looked to it as her sole companion in her otherwise lonely domain. She had a feeling of overwhelming dread when she saw the mischievious smile on Ryan's face.

The boy picked up the snail and giggled as it crawled across his arm. The snail left a trail of slime on his arm, and Ryan became somewhat angry. First he was satisfied to just bounce the snail around, but found himself bored once again. He set the snail down and it seemed like he was going to leave. Tervin began to let a out a sigh of relief, but it was interrupted by a sickening crunch. Ryan had stomped on her snail and broke its tiny shell. Tervin was in a rage. She forgot about her own safety and promptly flew toward Ryan and bit his nose.

"How dare you crush such a tiny animal! It did nothing to you," she screamed at Ryan, her voice barely a whisper to his ears. The stunned boy didn't even think of how odd it was to see a fairy, let alone one that had bitten him. He was only concerned about his sore nose. Annoyed, he slapped Tervin away and began walking home.

Tervin, though slightly stunned, was not about to let the boy go unpunished for taking away her only companion. In a burst of righteous anger, a thin but fast wisp of magic burst from her tiny fingers and struck the boy.

It had been three weeks since Ryan was gone. His mother was frantic, but none of the search parties could find him. Maybe, if they had looked closer, they would have noticed a tiny yell, barely a whisper to their ears, coming from a small snail shell at the bottom of a bush in his favorite meadow. Inside the shell was a tiny fairy boy, with ringlets of gold and big brown eyes, and chains around his ankles and hands. Tervin hardly noticed it anymore, only kicking it every now and then when the wailing got too loud.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:21 PM   #25
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I liked that one more than the other two, probably because it's not quite so morbid. Poor Ryan, though
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:24 PM   #26
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It sounds like a fairy tale. Perhaps a fairy tale started by environmentalists .
Old 04-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #27
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I honestly have no idea where it came from. The title popped into my head, and out came the story.

My stories come from weird places. Never know when a situation will lend itself to a story. A daydream and the act of writing actually inspired a novel lenght story I've yet to put down in writing, but have stored in my head.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #28
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I agree with Lief. It seems like a very interesting fairy-tale.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:10 PM   #29
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Not much of a writer so i can't give criticism or advice (for my lack of knowledge.) But I enjoyed your stories, they were easy to get into and interesting.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:27 AM   #30
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
That was good. I like how it's not a basic fairy tale as in a happily ever after. And your writing style is good. It's easy to understand

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #31
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn
That was good. I like how it's not a basic fairy tale as in a happily ever after.
Fairy-tales aren't necessarily "happily ever after"'s...They didn't USED to be, at least.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:29 PM   #32
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
That's what I meant. The good ones like Little mermaid (in which the mermaid dies) and such like that were good but newer ones tend to be happily ever after.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #33
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Starr Polish, you still here? We're ready to read the next story .
Old 04-28-2003, 06:48 PM   #34
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Sorry, been busy (prom and the like) and I've fallen ill. I'll post when I find more stuff.

I could post an old story called "The City Sleeps". It's more of an essay though. Or some poetry/essays and the like, if you'd like.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:44 PM   #35
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Untitled excerpt, written 5/2/003

Author's Note: Very short excerpt of my hopefully to-be novel length story. The character of Claire is basically an outlet for my opinions, and in many ways IS me, whether it be a past or present form of my personality.

Linda sighed and looked up into his grey-green eyes. Everything was perfect. Life had suddenly fallen into place, and she no longer felt like she lived on the outside, looking in.
"I love you more than words can express," she whispered, and she could feel him smiling in her shoulder.
"I couldn't have said it better," Darren replied, rather muffled. The threatening rain clouds dissipated, and they lost each other in their first kiss.

Claire Starr snorted and threw her book against the wall. Why she had allowed herself to read such drivel was still a mystery to her. A friend had reccommended it, and out of some sense of loyalty she felt compelled to finish it.

"This does not mean, however, that I am not going to give her my honest opinion," she said to herself, retrieving the battered paperback from the pile of clothes where it had fallen. The corner of her own notebook stuck out from underneath a black sweater, and Claire had to keep herself from kicking it. "It's not like that's any better than this," she said, again to no one. Her conversations were usually one sided.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 05-02-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:06 PM   #36
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

So is this the opening, or has Claire been pretty well established already at this point?

Old 05-02-2003, 10:24 PM   #37
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Hmm...well, since this is the birth of the story on paper (it's been growing in my mind for several monhts), it's her introduction.

Blah...I just noticed the screen name reference in her name. Not intentional.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:53 PM   #38
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Oh, so you just started it today? Neat... it's a good start for sure. And yes, I noticed the screen name reference, but don't change it if it feels right.

Old 05-02-2003, 11:45 PM   #39
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I love "Spin." I think it's very well written. I don't think she's emotionally disturbed, I just think the timeline's off. If only a year had passed instead of ten years, her feelings would be completely understandable. and so would her father's (perhaps precipitous) desire to start to date again. Maybe he just misses having someone iron his handkerchiefs and sort his socks.
The way the game melds into her emotions is superb.

I don't care so much for Tough as Snails. I prefer elves and fairies as tall as humans, rather than the teeny ones with wings who were invented by the Victorians. But if you have to have one, I guess one that bites people on the nose is the best kind.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote