Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2003, 08:24 AM   #21
Belle
Enting

Being British myself I think that changing the HP books is very wrong. Living in Britain we have to put up with all the Americanisms in day to day life and in books written by Americans, and we understand perfectly what meaning they are trying to put across. Harry is an English boy going to an English boarding school, and some of the humour is very English. I am sure Americans can understand what JK Rowling means without having things 'translated' for them.
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Made me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:13 PM   #22
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

And even if they don't understand it, they certainly have the capacity to learn. But to deny them that opportunity is ridiculous.

The sad thing is, most readers don't even know this many changes have been made.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:26 PM   #23
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
I certainly didn't.......I'm American....wow, i definatly feel really stupid now...
Old 04-24-2003, 03:44 PM   #24
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

Don't feel stupid! It's the ones who got the idea of changing it who *should* feel stupid. I think at least they should have warned readers that changes had been made, so you could choose what version to buy.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:44 PM   #25
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
No I don't think we should feel stupid (I'm American). Just uninformed. I think some things might have confused me in the British version of the books but then again I'm smart (somtimes) and I think I could've figured it out!
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:32 PM   #26
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

americans always have to have it there way jk
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:23 PM   #27
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Rubbish. (Okay, unfortuntely NOT rubbish...but the Americans who Have Their Way are not all of them....)

It was the publishers...and if I had a choice, I wouldn't have changed anything. In fact, I'll probably buy any other HP books on the internet and get the real versions. They're better.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:49 AM   #28
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel
In fact, I'll probably buy any other HP books on the internet and get the real versions. They're better.
If you do, make sure the publisher is Bloomsbury, NOT Scholastic (aka The Fascist Publishing Co). I tried to locate the original British text and found it on Amazon's UK site.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #29
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Yeah, no joke. The power of internet is great and good...(and sometimes evil...but still bloody useful!)

tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:50 PM   #30
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I thought I'd bring this thread back up because:

Talking to some American HP fans, I've heard that there are fewer changes in Order of the Phoenix (from UK TO US editions) than in previous books. Not having the Scholastic versions, I couldn't say, but does anybody know if it's true?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #31
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Most of the types of edits previously common were not committed this time around. Much of the original style seems to be included. I think things like "pass your exam" versus "get your exam", where it is very ambiguous, were still done. Things like replacing "pudding" with "dessert" were not done this time around.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:48 PM   #32
Elf Girl
Lurker

Yes, I was very impressed with their restraint. (But I still can't wait for my British version to come!)
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:26 PM   #33
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I can't believe they thought it was necessary to make so many changes. Do they really think Americans are so culturally insular that they won't read a book where it says "biscuits" instead of "cookies"? If I were American, I would feel quite insulted. I'm really glad British publishers don't "translate" American books in the same way (as far as I'm aware) because I find them the best way of finding out about the American way of life and language differences. It's far more interesting to learn stuff like that, IMO
I feel insulted , so how about all the whiners stick to english version and stop the crying.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote