FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 08:30 PM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Trouble is, no one knows where that line is anymore

(look at the "cartoons" posted in the Iraq thread...IMO they are not politically correct, yet they appear in national/international newspapers.....
What about the cartoons your papers have concerning Bush and America? Or the puppet shows your media is so fond of doing? And those cartoons, concerning France and Germany, are tame to what people are actually saying.

(don't read if part of th PC crowd or support France. We couldn't have jokes like...
How many frenchman does it take to defend France?

Answer....
Don't know, it's never been tried before.

Or this one...
What do you call a thousand Frenchman with their hands in the air?

Answer...
The french army.

Chirac by the way - recently gave an interview to show that he is not "anti-american" and said that he loves junk food and puts on a couple of pounds everytime he leaves here. I guess he thought that that was supposed to be a compliment. Obviously he never tried TRUE American cuisine, otherwise he would not have felt that it was junk food.

I agree they're not PC - but I'm against PC. If everything was Politically Correct - satire would be impossible, as would humor.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-22-2003 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:36 PM   #22
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
What about the cartoons your papers have concerning Bush and America? Or the puppet shows your media is so fond of doing? And those cartoons, concerning France and Germany, are tame to what people are actually saying.

I agree they're not PC - but I'm against PC. If everything was Politically Correct - satire would be impossible, as would humor.
Yes JD I posted a link to some cartoons dealing with those catorgories as well

Get off paranoid mega-defensive horse ffs.........

Beatallica
Old 02-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #23
jerseydevil

Quote:
Yes JD I posted a link to some cartoons dealing with those catorgories as well

Get off paranoid mega-defensive horse ffs.........
You seemed to have a problem with the way the US was portraying France and Germany.

And for your information - I'm not paranoid - nor am I being defensive. You made a statement - and I was responding to it. Pure and simple.

Oh yeah - I forgot - it's a Saturday night - you're most likely drunk. have to remember not to take you seriously on Fridays and Saturdays.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-22-2003 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #24
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
You seemed to have a problem with the way the US was portraying France and Germany.

And for your information - I'm not paranoid - nor am I being defensive. You made a statement - and I was responding to it. Pure and simple.
If you had actually bothered to read the thread you would have seen that I said-

Quote:
look at the "cartoons" posted in the Iraq thread..
And as we both posted cartoons in said thread, you can now see that the quoted post was not aimed specifically toward the way the US is portraying anyone

Which statement were you responding to?

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 02-22-2003 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:50 PM   #25
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Oh yeah - I forgot - it's a Saturday night - you're most likely drunk. have to remember not to take you seriously on Fridays and Saturdays.
Nah, Friday nights/early hours of Saturday moring is my drinking time JD.........early Sunday morining here.....sorry but I'm sober now

Beatallica
Old 02-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #26
jerseydevil

Quote:

And as we both posted cartoons in said thread, you can now see that the quoted post was not aimed specifically toward the way the US was portrayed by anyone

Which statement were you responding to?
I was responding to this statement...

Quote:
IMO they are not politically correct, yet they appear in national/international newspapers.....
And I had forgotten that you had posted cartoons concerning America - that's how much I cared about them or they bothered me. I thought you were referring to the French cartoons I posted.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2003, 08:56 PM   #27
jerseydevil

Quote:
Nah, Friday nights/early hours of Saturday moring is my drinking time JD.........early Sunday morining here.....sorry but I'm sober now
Oh my bad - I thought it was carried over into Saturday evening. And anyway - it's only 1:00am your time on Sunday. Aren't the pubs still going strong at that time??

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #28
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
And I had forgotten that you had posted cartoons concerning America - that's how much I cared about them or they bothered me. I thought you were referring to the French cartoons I posted.
ROFLMAO!!...It's not you they are meant to bother you JD, they are Politically Incorrect propaganda....meant to sway the sweaty masses towards a governments viewpoint ........ sound familiar?

Quote:
Oh my bad - I thought it was carried over into Saturday evening. And anyway - it's only 1:00am your time on Sunday. Aren't the pubs still going strong at that time??
No idea *shrugs* my days of drinking all weekend got boring a long time ago.

Beatallica
Old 02-22-2003, 09:32 PM   #29
jerseydevil

Quote:
ROFLMAO!!...It's not you they are meant to bother you JD, they are Politically Incorrect propaganda....meant to sway the sweaty masses towards a governments viewpoint ........ sound familiar?
Well our media swings decidedly left. If anything media tries to swing the public toward THEIR views on a topic. The government can't control the media here - nor can any democratic society really control the media. If it could - then I'm sure England would mostly be having "pro-war" or at the very least "anti-Hussein" cartoons instead of showing Blair and Bush kissing surrouned by a big heart.

I also doubt you'd have idiot reporters asking that since Blair and Bush are both Christian and very religious - if they pray together. During that Bristish interview - I was getting ready for the interviewer to ask if Blair and Bush share the same bed when they get together.

The political cartoons that the US papers have aren't government propadanda. It's either the way the artist feels about and issue - or the way the general public feels. Sure sometimes a cartoon has the established government view - such as the cartoons concerning Europe - but there are other cartoons that are agaist Bush or the war. It's the same with editorials. We don't live in a place like Iraq where the media is controlled. The only way the media is controlled in the US is by public opinion or by their own politically established views.

I have 500 cable channels - at least 5 of them devoted to just news, plus CSPAN and CSPAN2, where I can watch Congressional hearings or the other day they had uninterupted the UN debates from the "minor" nations concerning Iraq. I have CNN, BBC, FoxNews, News 12 New Jersey, MsNBC - all 24 hour news channels (except maybe BBC).

The problem is - most people only read or watch things which support their views.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-22-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:36 PM   #30
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Well our media swings decidedly left. And the government can't control the media here - nor can any democratic society really control the media. If it could - then I'm sure England would mostly be having "pro-war" or at the very least "anti-Hussein" cartoons instead of showing Blair and Bush kissing surrouned by a big heart.

I also doubt you'd have idiot reporters asking that since Blair and Bush are both Christian and very religious - if they pray together. During that Bristish interview - I was getting ready for the interviewer to ask if Blair and Bush share the same bed when they get together.

The political cartoons that the US papers have aren't government propadanda. It's either the way the artist feels about and issue - or the way the general public feels. Sure sometimes a cartoon has the established government view - such as the cartoons concerning Europe - but there are other cartoons that are agaist Bush or the war. It's the same with editorials. We don't live in a place like Iraq where the media is controlled. The only way the media is controlled in the US is by public opinion or by their own politically established views.

I have 500 cable channels - at least 5 of them devoted to just news, plus CSPAN and CSPAN2, where I can watch Congressional hearings or the other day they had uninterupted the UN debates from the "minor" nations concerning Iraq. I have CNN, BBC, FoxNews, News 12 New Jersey, MsNBC - all 24 hour news channels (except maybe BBC).

The problem is - most people only read or watch things which support their views.
*nods* You said earlier that you didn't think political correctness was right....good points there.

Beatallica
Old 02-23-2003, 01:41 AM   #31
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Well our media swings decidedly left. If anything media tries to swing the public toward THEIR views on a topic. The government can't control the media here - nor can any democratic society really control the media.
You truly believe that? Oy...

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Old 02-23-2003, 02:21 AM   #32
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Erawyn
You truly believe that? Oy...
Well then if you don't believe it - then I suppose you don't believe in the Freedom of the Press.

And yes - I do truly believe that. If the government controlled the media then we'd have all our politicians being perfect and elected officials would have 100% approval ratings like they "do" in places such as Iraq.

And yes they do lean more to the left. Most of the reporters are registered democrats. A good reporter however will leave their politics at home - unless it's a politcal discussion such as "This Week", "Crossfire" or "Meet the Press". And the MEDIA has far more controll or influence over public opion than the government does. The medfa can raise someone up or tear someone down.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-23-2003 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:06 PM   #33
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Whoa gone for two days and eighteen posts spring up. I have not finished reading them all but would like to point something out.

Elvellyn signing an act to make Christmas a secular holiday does not make it any less a religious holiday. It just mean that it makes the big people in washington feel good cause now they've been "fair" to everyone.

Sorry that wasn't about political correctness I just felt the need to clarify that.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Old 02-23-2003, 02:11 PM   #34
Aralyn
FloraAzul

whew finished and I have one other thing to say

JD and Coney don't you guys like ever do anything else I always see you guys in all the posts and it turns onto a Jd/coney post. Just noticing and that's not criticism or anything

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
Old 02-23-2003, 04:19 PM   #35
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn

JD and Coney don't you guys like ever do anything else I always see you guys in all the posts and it turns onto a Jd/coney post. Just noticing and that's not criticism or anything
What can I say? JD obviously loves me

Beatallica
Old 02-23-2003, 04:33 PM   #36
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn

Don't listen to Coney. We just like to argue a lot and can't let the other get the upper hand.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-23-2003, 04:41 PM   #37
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Don't listen to Coney. We just like to argue a lot and can't let the other get the upper hand.
Does that mean you don't love me JD?

Beatallica
Old 02-23-2003, 05:12 PM   #38
jerseydevil

Quote:
Does that mean you don't love me JD?
I'll have to take the fifth. Our disagreements and discussions just wouldn't have the same affect.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-23-2003, 05:19 PM   #39
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I'll have to take the fifth. Our disagreements and discussions just wouldn't have the same affect.
Very true

The above post's do (loosely) show one of the downsides of Political Correctness tho'.

Even the word LOVE used in certain situations can be classed as Politically Incorrect.

I use to use the word love as a term of greeting/endearment when I met someone I knew (e.g. When shopping if I met a woman I knew whilst shopping I would say "hello love, how are you?").....this was a pretty common colloquialism.

Nowadays some women take real offense at this ..... even though it was said in a manner not meant to cause offence at all.

Beatallica
Old 02-23-2003, 05:20 PM   #40
Aralyn
FloraAzul

oh brother

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
Closed Thread