Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2003, 11:16 PM   #21
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Estel13, pm me quick! I can't pm you! Okay, don't panic...

Who is everyone's favourite character? I have to say G'Kar, even though I also love Garibaldi and Delenn. I also can't go without mentioning Lennier and Marcus.

I just watched episode 3x11, Ceremonies of Light and Dark! Delenn is so awesome. I mean, she is just the coolest ever.

And Marcus is still hilarious.

"You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than with a kind word along."
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:58 PM   #22
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

My favorite is Garibaldi, all the way. Other faves: Marcus, Sheridan, Ivanova, G'kar, Delenn....... OK, this list has no end. I'm still really pissed that they took B5 off the channel I watched it on. Meaning I haven't actually SEEN B5 in about 6 months. This sucks. Maybe they'll put it back on. *shrugs* Yeah, as if. Ah well, there's always hope. Estel is Elvish for Hope, ya know.
Later......
Old 03-06-2003, 02:52 AM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
We have DVD's BoP. But maybe Warner Brothers doesn't know that, because they don't ship B5 DVD's to us.
Ya blind bat. I wasn't asking if Canada had DVDs... I was asking if you guys had THE DVDs. As in Season One.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:46 AM   #24
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

hee hee never mind. I'm pretty sure you can buy the first season here.

I was thinking further about my favourite character, and I decided I love everyone except Dr. Franklin and Londo.

Even though Londo makes choices I disagree with, I still like him a lot, and he's such an awesome and complex character.

Dr. Franklin is irritating, self-riteous, and ethnocentric (yea, words from Anthropology class.) He's ethnocentric in that he thinks his culture is the default for all sentient beings, and when a conflict arises between his culture and another person's, he automatically assumes that they are wrong, and imposes his views on them. This often results in a tragedy, and he never learns from his mistakes! Bah. He is good looking, but sometimes he uses it to pick up random hot girls.

Aaaanyway. Saying my one un-favourite character was easier than listing the many reasons why I love everyone else.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 03-07-2003, 02:15 AM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, Dr. Franklin irritates the hell out of me, too! Heh, and I had such high hopes for him.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:48 PM   #26
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think Londo is the most complex character. You can never predict what's he's going to do! And some of things he says... woah. Peter Jurasik is such a good actor. *In awe*.

G'Kar is also very complex. He goes through an interesting transformation in episode 3x06 - Dust to Dust. I think they are great character foils.
Quote:
Old 03-07-2003, 09:37 PM   #27
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Dr. Franklin doesn't bug me that much, though he is kind of a jerk sometimes. That whole thing with the stims...... How stupid can you get?! I liked Londo until that Shadow thing attached itself to him. Till then, he was kewl. Who else here loves Rebo & Zooty? "Zooty, zoot-zoot!" I LOVE that line! I love Episode #101, Day of the Dead. Also #88, Endgame. Ah, screw it, I love 'em all! Can't believe they took it off....... Alright, I won't get started on that particular subject.
Later..........
Old 03-08-2003, 11:26 PM   #28
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Are you talking about Londo's Keeper? I haven't got that far in the episodes yet, but we see glimpses of it in flash-forwards and the movies (In the Beginning).

I remember Vir and Londo kill Cartagia, and then Londo becomes emperor. Does he get it then? No season 5 spoilers please!
Quote:
Old 03-09-2003, 06:18 PM   #29
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Are you talking about Londo's Keeper? I haven't got that far in the episodes yet, but we see glimpses of it in flash-forwards and the movies (In the Beginning).

I remember Vir and Londo kill Cartagia, and then Londo becomes emperor. Does he get it then? No season 5 spoilers please!
Yeah, I was talking about the Keeper. I can't really tell you without doing a spoiler. But it's well worth it to wait and see! I messed with my sig, whaddaya think?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:01 PM   #30
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Must.. resist... asking for spoiler...

I watched seasons 1 through 4 with my brother several years ago. Now I'm rewatching the whole series with two good friends of mine. The last episode we watched was 3x13, A Late Delivery from Avalon.

This was a great episode! I love Arthurian legends! I think the the dude really was Arthur. I think the Vorlon preserved Arthur's spirit, and then when it was most needed, Arthur was reborn.

David McIntire needed solace - how much horror can one soldier handle without losing it? On a side note, there's a lot of examples of how war affects people, Garibaldi had dreams, there was that insane, Minbari torturer in Ceremonies of Light and Dark. So David McIntire needed to be 'reborn'.

Then, a leader was needed in the Narn resistance. King Arthur was perfect! As G'Kar said, he understands how to organise people into something greater than themselves.

Thus, David McIntire was 'imbued' with Arthur's spirit. When Franklin (this episode is the epitamy of why this guy pisses me off) made him relive all his horrible experiences in the war, Franklin basically mortally wounded him again, and Delenn, the Lady of the Lake, healed him again.

Then the healed David, with Arthur's spirit, could act where he was needed - helping the Narns.

At the end Marcus was alining the crew with Arthirian Knights, I have my own personal one (which I could explain too, but my post is already too long.)

Who is Morgan Le Fey....

Sheridan = Arthur
Delenn = The Lady of the Lake and Guinevere
Lennier = Lancelot
Ivanova = Kay
G'Kar = Gawaine
Franklin = Galahad
Marcus = Percival
Vir = Bedwyr
Morden = Mordred
Londo = Morgan Le Fey
Quote:
Old 03-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #31
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Must.. resist... asking for spoiler...

I watched seasons 1 through 4 with my brother several years ago. Now I'm rewatching the whole series with two good friends of mine. The last episode we watched was 3x13, A Late Delivery from Avalon.

This was a great episode! I love Arthurian legends! I think the the dude really was Arthur. I think the Vorlon preserved Arthur's spirit, and then when it was most needed, Arthur was reborn.

David McIntire needed solace - how much horror can one soldier handle without losing it? On a side note, there's a lot of examples of how war affects people, Garibaldi had dreams, there was that insane, Minbari torturer in Ceremonies of Light and Dark. So David McIntire needed to be 'reborn'.

Then, a leader was needed in the Narn resistance. King Arthur was perfect! As G'Kar said, he understands how to organise people into something greater than themselves.

Thus, David McIntire was 'imbued' with Arthur's spirit. When Franklin (this episode is the epitamy of why this guy pisses me off) made him relive all his horrible experiences in the war, Franklin basically mortally wounded him again, and Delenn, the Lady of the Lake, healed him again.

Then the healed David, with Arthur's spirit, could act where he was needed - helping the Narns.

At the end Marcus was alining the crew with Arthirian Knights, I have my own personal one (which I could explain too, but my post is already too long.)

Who is Morgan Le Fey....

Sheridan = Arthur
Delenn = The Lady of the Lake and Guinevere
Lennier = Lancelot
Ivanova = Kay
G'Kar = Gawaine
Franklin = Galahad
Marcus = Percival
Vir = Bedwyr
Morden = Mordred
Londo = Morgan Le Fey
I don't know who Morgan Le Fay is, but it certainly isn't Londo! But.......I LUV THE RED KNIGHT!!!!! He is so FUNNY in that Episode. I luv that Episode, Gropos. Too bad she got killed....... ALL the Episodes are really great. I luv 'em all. I am so glad I started this thread!
Do you REALLY want a spoiler? 'Cus I will give ya one.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:28 PM   #32
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thanks for the offer, but I won't go for that spoiler. I'm looking forward to seeing season 5 for the first time (right now my friends and I are half way through season 3). I'll enjoy going into it completely blind, with no prior knowledge of the plot.

Okay, I'll explain why Londo could be Morgan Le Fey. I admit, it's quite a stretch.

Morgan Le Fey is Arthur's half-sister and the mother of Mordred. Mordred is the guy who gathered other dissenters to Arthur's rule and eventually brought about the destruction of the Round Table, the death of many good knights. He and Arthur fought at the Battle of Camlann. Mordred was killed, and Arthur was too, sort of. This part was described in the episode, where Bedevere (aka Bedwyr, I like the Celtic spelling) was sent to return Excalibur.

Anyway, I think Mr. Morden being Mordred is quite plausible - even their names are similar! I know Londo isn't Morden's dad, but when he first accepts the help of Morden and his associates, he gives him power.

It's partly due to Londo's actions that the stage is set for chaos and war later on. The comparison isn't exactly parallel, but I think he's the best fit.

I also forgot to add that Kosh is Merlin.
Quote:
Old 03-13-2003, 01:16 PM   #33
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but I won't go for that spoiler. I'm looking forward to seeing season 5 for the first time (right now my friends and I are half way through season 3). I'll enjoy going into it completely blind, with no prior knowledge of the plot.

Okay, I'll explain why Londo could be Morgan Le Fey. I admit, it's quite a stretch.

Morgan Le Fey is Arthur's half-sister and the mother of Mordred. Mordred is the guy who gathered other dissenters to Arthur's rule and eventually brought about the destruction of the Round Table, the death of many good knights. He and Arthur fought at the Battle of Camlann. Mordred was killed, and Arthur was too, sort of. This part was described in the episode, where Bedevere (aka Bedwyr, I like the Celtic spelling) was sent to return Excalibur.

Anyway, I think Mr. Morden being Mordred is quite plausible - even their names are similar! I know Londo isn't Morden's dad, but when he first accepts the help of Morden and his associates, he gives him power.

It's partly due to Londo's actions that the stage is set for chaos and war later on. The comparison isn't exactly parallel, but I think he's the best fit.

I also forgot to add that Kosh is Merlin.
I agree that Kosh is Merlin, but you lost me with the whole Londo=Morgan Le Fay thing, sorry. But Morden is Mordred, definitely. Later.......
Old 03-13-2003, 04:40 PM   #34
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Something I can't really articulate in words... (the Londo=Morgan Le Fey thing.) Maybe there is no Morgan Le Fey.

But I will add, that since I watched 3x16, Interludes and Examinations, this idea has a little more weight.

Morgan Le Fey blames Arthur for the death of her father. Londo uses Morden to exact revenge on Lord Refa and co.
for the murder of Adira.
(The fact that Refa isn't actually guilty not withstanding.)

Morgan Le Fey also gets revenge on Arthur by stealing the scabbard to Excalibur, which has the magical property of its bearers wounds not bleeding. This indirectly causes his death, when he bleeds to death from wounds inflicted by Mordred.

Sheridan
dies because he goes to Z'ha'dum.
This could be indirectly linked to Londo's initial involvement with the Shadows, as Morgan Le Fey is linked to Mordred.

The difference is, the Shadows still would have gained power if Londo had rejected their tempting offer.

edit: left out important bit.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 03-13-2003 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:20 PM   #35
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Re: A thread for all hard-core Babylon 5 fans

You wrote: [seen all 111 episodes 5x EACH.
My fave character is Garibaldi.

Well, G'Kar, Kosh and Londo are great although Vir has most of the funny lines.

Last edited by Spock : 03-15-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:31 PM   #36
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

ahhh, well the writer says LOTR was not intended to be B5 and visa versa....however, we do have the Rangers (with green leaf clasps) and Marcus can definitely be linked to LOTR or to the Arturian Legend so it's quite confusing.

Oh, on the matter of Crusade, it had promise and then died.....too bad. There is a pocket book series dealing with B5 by Jeannie Cavalos and the last three featured the technomages which was a great development of story line.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:12 PM   #37
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
ahhh, well the writer says LOTR was not intended to be B5 and visa versa....however, we do have the Rangers (with green leaf clasps) and Marcus can definitely be linked to LOTR or to the Arturian Legend so it's quite confusing.

Yeah, I agree, definitely. Never thought of that myself. It's not THAT confusing. I keep whole ARCHIVES of facts about B5, HP, LOTR, etc. In my head, that is. Later......
Old 03-15-2003, 11:26 PM   #38
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
From what I've seen so far (the first two seasons) Kosh looks like he could be comparable to Gandalf. He's an emissary of sorts, plus he's an 'ancient' which could be compared to that of the maiar.... Then there's that whole thing with the ancients going west, which is nicked of the Elves. Of course, I could be wrong, I've still got 3 seasons to watch....
Old 03-16-2003, 01:21 PM   #39
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BeardofPants
[B]From what I've seen so far (the first two seasons) Kosh looks like he could be comparable to Gandalf.

Well if you mean by his guidance and wisdom I can see the similarities, however, he is much harsher with humans than Gandalf ever was.

The quiet ones are the ones that change the universe--the loud ones only take the credit. ...Londo
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #40
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

This is from the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5, which is an awesome website. JMS actually answers questions from the message board! So he answers our LotR questions.
Quote:
Is the name "Z'ha'dum" a reference to Khazad-dum from "The Lord of the Rings?"
Not really, no...I always imagined that Z'ha'dum was originally the Minbari word for the place, and the Z'ha has echoes in Entil-zha and Isil-zha. The dum (doom) part is obvious. Not to say I wasn't aware of Khazad-dum, but it wasn't on my mind at the time.
What was the episode with the technomages? That was a very LotR episode, but I believe JMS says something about "not wanting to do LotR with the serial numbers filed off," in response to questions of copying.
Quote: